Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

The 5MT models are very nicely detailed and aren't too expensive either. The main issue with them, if you have a layout like mine (with a scale 1 in 40 incline) is that they are very light footed. Compared to other models of a similar power class, their haulage capabilities are probably the worst. Typically I run mine double headed with a Hornby 5 or a 4MT tender loco (even the split frame model outpulls it!).

The other main issue with these models (as with the 4MT) is that the speedometer cable has a tendency to break very easily. I have had two 5MTs, and two 4MTs all end up with broken speedometer cables. If I recall correctly, it happened at random while running in all cases - certainly not on over-sharp curvature, or due to poor handling. I have since replaced them with wire (similar to Hornby models) and have not had such issues since. Personally, I think the wire looks better anyway, therefore if you are prepared to accept that this may happen, and are OK replacing the cable, then it shouldn't be too much of a worry.

Rails of Sheffield's pre-order price on each of the two Bachmann MLVs that are due in soon in NSE and 'jaffa cake' liveries is a very reasonable £76.46, compared to £81.63 at a different and reputable retailer, £83.26 at two other prominent retailers and and £88.15 at yet another.

I have pre-ordered both from Rails!

(Edited to fix a strange difference in font sizes!).

• RMweb Premium

Ian Allan in Brum have a load of Morning Sun books on US railroads in their sale - probably at least 12 different titles.

All @£20 most reduced from £50 ish.

Keith

Model Railways Direct of Portishead has a sale on at the moment. Most offers seem to be available until the end of June (or sold out).

Details are here:

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Special-Offers/

And, possibly of particular interest is a 'twin' at £77.50, less than other online retailers

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/Bachmann-31-996-LMS-10000-BR-Brunswick-Green-Part-Eggshell-Blue-Waistband/

After an experience I had on Saturday, it is always worth having a rake around in the Hornby concessions for bargains!

I happened to have half an hour to kill in central London, so I popped into Hamley's for the first time in at least 15 years, and made my way up to the Hornby section. Aside from brand new stock at full RRP (with Sentinels, Stars and Gresley suburban coaches aplenty - yet local retailers cannot get supplies of these...) there was a small reductions section, largely comprised of 28xx's, Patriots and M7's, all at around 25% off RRP; nothing earth-shattering. After having a good look, I found a Beverston Castle lurking at the back of the shelf, priced up at just £71, which with the 10% concessions loyalty card brought it to £64. Bearing in mind the forthcoming Castle releases are slated to be over twice this amount, I duly snapped it up - well, you can never have too many Castles! Somewhat expecting it to be a 'return' with a hidden nasty I opened it up as soon as I got home, and found it pristine - surely a candidate for bargain of the month?! As I said, it's worth looking.

Cheers, 

CoY

• RMweb Premium

After an experience I had on Saturday, it is always worth having a rake around in the Hornby concessions for bargains!

I found a Beverston Castle lurking at the back of the shelf, priced up at just £71, which with the 10% concessions loyalty card brought it to £64.

Cheers, 

CoY

Does your loyalty card expire at the end of the month? - Mine does and I don't think they will being given them out any more.

Keith

At the Great Central event last weekend, Loughborough Models were selling Bachmann ''twins' at £80 each. I got 10000 with eggshell blue waistband. I'd bought 10001 some time ago and they look much better as a pair................. :)     

Hamleys is always worth a look.  I picked up a Skaledale GWR water column and crane yesterday, reduced from £15 to £5 as there is a small crack in the feed pipe.  Nothing a drop of glue won't secure, and a splash of paint won't hide.  Lots of other interesting bits there, and check the price labels carefully, as there are bargains to be had.

Picked up a couple of items from Model Rail Direct at what I think is a good price and availability. All 3 types of Hornby Sentinels at £44.95 and the BR Blue Scottish  Passenger wagon at £23.50, very difficult to get this item elsewhere. They are in their sale which ends 30 th June. Good Bargain Hunting!

Check out Hornby's feedback - somebody else seems to have had the exact same experience. I guess you get what you pay for (or you can send it back).

I am now very wary of ordering direct from the Hornby website or their eBay store - and not just due to the high prices!

Maybe I just got lucky again. I purchased a Regional Railways Class 31 and Thomas' Annie & Clarabel from Hornby's eBay account (all supposedly with "damaged packaging") all for just over £85 posted. A & C are definitely new. The Class 31 might have been run but is in mint condition and as a "new" purchase from Hornby gets me a warranty. I probably couldn't have gotten one cheaper 2nd hand and it wouldn't have had the benefit of a warranty. Hornby deserve bashing every now and again, particularly for their recent price hikes imo but not for their eBay account. 

For the record this is their definition of damaged packaging. The Class 31 is by far the most damaged box I've got from them, and it is pretty minimal:

post-18315-0-60659800-1403880203_thumb.jpg

post-18315-0-14088100-1403880209_thumb.jpg

post-18315-0-73756700-1403880237_thumb.jpg

post-18315-0-68477900-1403880275_thumb.jpg

We all have our varied experiences and RMweb is about sharing them!

Maybe I just got lucky again. I purchased a Regional Railways Class 31 and Thomas' Annie & Clarabel from Hornby's eBay account (all supposedly with "damaged packaging") all for just over £85 posted. A & C are definitely new. The Class 31 might have been run but is in mint condition and as a "new" purchase from Hornby gets me a warranty. I probably couldn't have gotten one cheaper 2nd hand and it wouldn't have had the benefit of a warranty. Hornby deserve bashing every now and again, particularly for their recent price hikes imo but not for their eBay account. 

For the record this is their definition of damaged packaging. The Class 31 is by far the most damaged box I've got from them, and it is pretty minimal:

Since Christmas I have received from Hornby's eBay site two Diamond Jubilee train Packs and two Date with the Duchy train packs. The first Jubilee pack was excellent - a dirty box with a few scratches - otherwise brand new and unopened - all for around 2/3 list price. The second was bought because the price had come down to less than half - however the engine had obviously been used, the cab wind deflectors were broken and the protective packing from round the engine was missing. I still thought good value and kept the set.

I would buy a Date with the Duchy. The details are contained in my recent Blog.  Again the item cost less than half price but the first set I thought was not acceptable and obtained a replacement.  Hornby are very professional, their goods are well packed and they respond immediately to any concerns.  If you don't like the goods then you can send them back.  Three out of the four items were 'returns' the sort of things that are sold along the road here at the Marks and Spencers 'outlet shop' at Gretna Village.  I believe that you get what you pay for, and if Hornby are selling something off for less than half price there has to be a good reason - maybe not just damaged packaging.

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Just purchased the Bachmann 419 MLV from Ian Allan Birmingham for only £81.65 the cheapest I have seen.

They still have plenty in stock.

train0737_65783.giftrain0737_65783.giftrain0737_65783.giflarge-31-269.jpg

They are always worth checking for prices.

I think most people assume that because they are a well established transport bookshop chain their prices should be high.

I usually buy my new release Bachmann from them as they are normally cheaper than certain other well known discount retailers.

Keith

...the cab wind deflectors were broken...

Regards

Ray

To be honest with you, this seems to me to be pretty much the norm now with Hornby locos - its very much hit and miss as to whether the deflectors are there or not. I have bought second hand models that, in my mind at least, have been better than new in that all of the fixtures and fittings were there and present. On the other hand, I had real issues with a SD Britannia model when originally released - the retailer I dealt with was very understanding and only at the fourth attempt we found a model that actually had both wind deflectors, as well as other items such as steps, non-wonky nameplates, etc.

I'm wandering a bit off thread here, but does anyone know of a source for these wind deflectors as replacements/ spares. I'm assuming this refers to the perspex transparent strips that fit vertically between the cab windows, which would be very difficult to make with the two projections that locate into holes.

I do have a broken one on one model - bought on Ebay - and they could be very usefully installed elsewhere, such as Bachmann's Peppercorn pacifics!

Many thanks,  John.

Hi John

I did ask the same question in a a recent Blog.

I'm wandering a bit off thread here, but does anyone know of a source for these wind deflectors as replacements/ spares. I'm assuming this refers to the perspex transparent strips that fit vertically between the cab windows, which would be very difficult to make with the two projections that locate into holes.

I do have a broken one on one model - bought on Ebay - and they could be very usefully installed elsewhere, such as Bachmann's Peppercorn pacifics!

Many thanks,  John.

If Hornby are not willing to make spares available how difficult would it be for a third party to market replacements - the material cost must be negligable.  I had thought of 3D printing but I am not sure that clear plastic works very well..

Ray

Ray,

Many thanks for your prompt response. I have read your blog entry and was most impressed as I find clear material is usually very difficult to work!

It would still be great if we could buy a little bag of them for use elsewhere...

Best wishes,  John.

Called into the new Boyes store near here looking for some toothpaste, which came at a good price.

Had a look around, as well as the run of the mill stuff for this kind of 'value' emporium they have Humbrol paints at £1.60 a tinlet. Various thinners, miliput, airbrush propellant cans and Vallejo paint, which I understand from various posts on here is quite good(?). Also a selection of 'modeller sized' tools, X-acto saws, drill sets down to 0.3 mm, I think, and small cutters/pliers, etc. 

The Vallejo is £1.95 a pot with sets of 16 themed colour pots at £25.50, seems like quite good value if they're near to you.

http://www.boyes.co.uk/stores/store_finder.html

• RMweb Premium

The "Works" (in Birmingham at least) has "The Changing Railway Scene - London Midland Region" by Derek Huntriss/Ian Allan  for £6.99 instead of it's original published price of £16.99

It covers the transition from steam to diesel & electric

It only has 96 pages but all the photos are in colour and of good quality reproduction.

Plenty of shots of "modern traction" in their original colour schemes as well as mostly ex-LMS steam locos plus some Standards

There isn't much text but it doesn't need much!

Keith

Archived