Kernow / Bachmann Scenecraft LSWR Brick Signal Box

Guest 34008Padstow

Scenecraft_SB3.jpg

Wavy woodwork on the Wadebridge box but I have seen much worse.

My hope is that KMC are not discouraged by these minor errors but continue to have the foresight to commission a series of exLSWR station structures to compliment these excellent RTP's.

Tim

Mine just arrived today (after ordering it yesterday afternoon) and it really is a wee beauty. Well done Kernow.

Unfortunately, as others have noted, the top bend of the rain water pipe was broken off but luckily I was able to

find it still inside the box. Thanks for the warning about that Ian & Tim as I might never have noticed the damage

until too late.

As far as the thickness of the stair timbers is concerned, OK, they may be a bit on the heavy side but I can live

with it and it is not as bad as I feared from earlier posts. This is a fairly small, neat building and the photos above

show it at more than twice its actual size, helping to exaggerate the heaviness of the woodwork.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I now have both the stone and brick boxes. The handrails are a little thick but when I come to make use of them ona layout I will probably scrape the paint off and try and scrape the handrails down a touch before repainting. If done carefully I am sure it will make a noticeable improvement.

Ian

Had my Wadebridge East Signal box for over a year and never noticed anything wavey as shown in the above photo. It appears the roofline on mine is quite straight. Could it have warped in the heat of a Cornish store room?

The stone box is the wrong way round for my Padstow layout and I looked at buying the Bude box and covering it with stone work. But the more I looked at it there were differences in the windows and other details so I might as well scratch my own. At least the Wadebridge one will serve as a bit of a model for my model. Be a long time before I get around to that project.

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the font used for the signal nameboards in BR(SR) - white on green variety please ?

The font was a house style, which can be represented by Gill Sans. My HMRS booklet shows the signal nameboard as being 21.1/2" high, and the lettering 9" high.

Hth

PB

• RMweb Premium

The white lettering also weathered over time and would be well-represented by an off-white to creamy colour rather than brilliant white. I had in my possession for many years a "running-in" plate (the large name sign you saw first as the train ran into the platform and very similar to a signalbox name plate) which was definitely a dark an well-waethered green with lettering which was best matched by the shade "buttermilk".

• RMweb Premium

Well, mine arrived on Friday and luckily for me the downpipe was intact. Knowing the problem existed (thanks to those who've said), I was very careful taking the model out of the packaging but even so the roof moved. So I wonder if that's the problem - it shifts and breaks the pipe which without the roof hangs in the air.

So I'm going to award "null points" to Bachmann - they've going for tightly-fitting polystyrene for the internal packaging (as Hornby uses for Skaledale) rather than the previous (and better) clear plastic. Had they stuck with the plastic, the model would have been visible, making extraction much easier.

• RMweb Premium

I am pleased to report that "Bude" has arrived safely here after travelling from China via Camborne to Australia! Taking note of the comments above I was particularly careful opening the box but found that:

1) The item was completely intact including the elbow to the rainwater downpipe;

2) The wooden railings are perfectly straight;

3) It came easily out of the inner packing which was snug but not tight and

4) It sits fairly and squarely on level ground with no evidence of a "flying ladder"

Happy? You bet. For a RtP item in this price bracket I cannot fault it. Mine will receive a light weathering in due course (less than I applied to the "Blue Anchor" box on the current layout) and will take its place on the next layout due for construction from the later part of this year onwards.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking at that, it will definitely hack into an NBR style box with the removal of the central pillar, new window frames and a chimney stack.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't you agree on the 2nd of February with another member that ladders were not supposed to touch the ground?

I am confused.

Tim

Yes indeed I did. My point being that the particular model I received did not have the problems some have commented on above. It remains an easy matter to slip a "concrete" plinth beneath the bottom step once the item is in place on the layout which only ned be a couple of millimetres thick.

Yes indeed I did. My point being that the particular model I received did not have the problems some have commented on above. It remains an easy matter to slip a "concrete" plinth beneath the bottom step once the item is in place on the layout which only ned be a couple of millimetres thick.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tim

Archived