Kernow / Bachmann Scenecraft LSWR Brick Signal Box

Guest 34008Padstow

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone else recall a north Cornwall layout from the late 70's/early 80's, which I seem to recall was actually quite small, but captured the feel of it very well. I especially remember the bubble car and the class 22 (bashed from a Hornby 29, I think). Was it called Camelot?

Can anyone else recall a north Cornwall layout from the late 70's/early 80's, which I seem to recall was actually quite small, but captured the feel of it very well. I especially remember the bubble car and the class 22 (bashed from a Hornby 29, I think). Was it called Camelot?

Now, i would love to own one of these But was the stair case always to the right (obbviously it was at Bude). Dam it wont fit

Referring to "Signal Boxes of the L&SWR" by G A Pryer, Oakwood Press, ISBN 0-85361-565-9. The staircase could equally be at either end, and with other detail differences.

Hth

PB

• 2 months later...

Just blundered across a couple of pics of this in Ian Allan's" Modelling BR 1948-1968 - Chris Leigh (1986).

A small circular fairly minimalist layout with said Class 22 and Bubblecar on view - it might be called "Camelot Halt" as this is the name of the halt with a Pagoda style platform building.

I assume it may have featured in the MRC prior to 1986.

Just received an email from Kernow MRC. My "Bude" LSWR brick signal box is in the post.

Snap

And the site at Minster-on-Fosse is waiting for the arrival.

Hesitant might-be purchasers may be assured that this particular prototype r-t-p was well distributed. Not only at new-build stations at the turn of the 19th century, the Type 4 design was used for replacement purposes at early stations.

For me, the availability of another r-t-p model means I can concentrate on my struggle to complete the fiddle yard.

PB

Peter, just how well distributed was this type of box? What I mean is, could one have found its way onto

the Somerset & Dorset, perhaps as a replacement for an original that met with disaster etc?

Jim

Peter, just how well distributed was this type of box? What I mean is, could one have found its way onto

the Somerset & Dorset, perhaps as a replacement for an original that met with disaster etc?

Jim

Hello Jim

The answer is yes. After a very quick skim through "An Historical Survey of the S&DR Track Layouts and Illustrations" by Judge and Potts, from OPC, 1979, ISBN 0860930033, I found two possible candidates.

Shapwick with right hand steps is a variation with horizontal timber cladding to the upper half. Stalbridge (all brick) has left hand steps, with a neat oriel window cantilevered out from the right hand end, where the steps might have been. From the situation, I guess it was to have line of sight to the public highway.

"Signal Boxes of the L&SWR" by Pryer, from Oakwood Press, 2000, ISBN 0853615659 has a wealth of information, and pictures of how to customise the r-t-p to suit personal taste, and with legitimate precedent.

Hth

PB

Self Edit.

A number of chaps, from the past to the present, with published work, have referred to the importance of architectural style of the layout buildings, to tie the model to date, place, and original (frequently pre-grouping) company.

As an (almost) exclusively South Western historical modeller, the efforts of KMRC to produce such high quality copies of LSWR prototypes is manna from heaven. Even better, I see that many others get as much pleasure from this state of affairs as I do.

Peter, thanks again for the suggestion where to look. Stalbridge certainly fits the bill

for me so I now know what I will be looking for at Model Rail Scotland later this month.

JIm

Pleased to help. Mine has just arrived in this morning's post. Well up to standard for r-t-p resin buildings, and it is now standing on the layout where it needs to be.

PB

• RMweb Premium

Based on some success with the stone "Wadebridge" version a delicate touch of weathering powders will tone it down and remove that "RtP" look which it inevitably has no matter that it's a good representation of its original. Once mine arrives and has been dealt with I'll post some images.

• RMweb Premium

Just realised that this is exclusive to Kermow Model Centre so had better get phoning fast if I want one.

Jim

Kernow will be at Model Rail Scotland. Phone or email and ask for yours to be brought up and the should oblige.

Rick,

Thanks for the reminder about Kernow being at Model Rail Scotland but for once in my life I did what I said

I would do quickly and had already ordered the box by the time I spotted your post. There's a lot to be said for

procrastination.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tim

Neither of the problems you mention exist with my "Wadebridge" box and I shall wait and see how "Bude" looks though have every confidence that it will be superb. While "flying steps" might be an issue for some of us they can be settled into the ground rather than plonked onto it (as can the lower courses of brickwork) in some cases.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, woodwork shouldn't really connect straight into the ground, it allows thedampness in and allows rot.

For corroboration of this take a look at the recently-released Blue Anchor signalbox from Bachmann. And take a close look at any number of existing 'boxes where the steps meet "soft" ground (even if it's ballast) as opposed to "hard" platform surfaces. Many have at least one stone, brick or concrete step at the bottom of the wooden flight.

• RMweb Gold

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

Rather than offer an opinion, I prefer that the pictures speak for themselves.

Please note that the stairs do not touch the ground and the very fragile downpipe - the broken piece is missing.

Mine arrived yesterday and the downpipe offset was not on the signalbox. However it was in the foam packaging. Easy to glue back on with a bit of superglue but dont put the signalbox striagh back in the packageing otherwise the supeglue is likely to fog the glazing.

Ian

May I suggest that :

The woodwork is as overscale as the previous Wadebridge offering although not as warped.

nbr_bude_06.jpg

It is perfectly possible to make acceptable woodwork which has the same delicacy as the photo' of Bude.

The stairs may not have to touch the ground but neither should they hover a scale 9" in the air. However a new piece of bent copper wire for the downpipe and some prefunctory 'bedding-in' should cure the airborne steps.

Apart from these quality issues I am quite pleased with the building from Kernow, it merely requires a small amount of extra details and weathering.

Tim

Archived