Bocott stabling point & Eastbury sidings

pitbull1845

Thanks Danny for the support and comments,

Ian, I know what you're saying and I know it makes sense, however something just isn't right, I'm not happy with something. I think it may be the track plan, more to the point the station. I'm going to sleep on it, I won't do anything too drastic yet!

Mick, the double track does have its bonuses but i'm still not convinced I need it. If I need to run stuff in, I can take it to a mates layout. However it is nice to sometimes just watch trains go by.

I'm obviously having one of those days where I have no forward thinking. Has anybody seen my axe! :O

Thanks for looking

Scott

Scott,

I'm with the other comments. I think you have achieved a lot so far and if you add some scenic breaks so that each section becomes manageable (is that spelt right?) it should give you impetus to push on and complete bits at a time. I get bored with certain parts of my layout - I have been thinking about wiring the points to the panel that I have been thinking about building for far too long! - but I always find something to do between 2 kids and a full time job.

Bizzarely, slipping down to page 2, 3 or even 4 pushes me on to do something I can then update my thread ....

Keep the updates coming...

Jeff

Hello Scott, I think it would be a great shame to lose what you have already constructed, personally i think you have done the hard bit, eg built the baseboards and layed the majority of the trackwork. I completely sympathise with all the reasons you dont want all the hassle of a large layout but on the flip side how nice will it be after a long day at the office to just sit back with a beer and watch a couple of trains plod round the layout? plus with your small terminus station and freight yard you've got plenty of scope for shunting etc. I'm very envious and wish you luck with whatever you do.

Graham.

Scott

I know exactly how you feel. I started my loft layout a few years ago but having 2 kids and working full time it's hard to find the time to get up there and make any progress.

As already suggested, maybe you could do what I intend to do and that is to complete the trackwork and baseboards to get the trains running around, and then concentrate on finishing the scenics on small areas at a time. At least that way you do see some progress?

Let me know how you get on.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Having different ideas isn't a problem with a biggish layout maybe the answer is to split it up into scenes and work on one first. Keep the double track and work on one section, say the small terminus, then you can have a train tootling round while you work. Develop a section at a time maybe introducing view breaks and you can store all the bits on the bare sections too. If you decide you don't like one bit then you can just redevelop that bit leaving the rest untouched. The advantage to splitting it up is that you actually see the layout more like the real thing as unless you are in a tall building or hill you rarely see the view that you get in the garage, (ok I know you keep flying around and getting helicopter views! ).

I used tall trees and sheer rock faces on my layout to separate scenes when it's viewed from track level but you could do the same with some tall buildings or a bridge against dividing backscene.

Something like this . .

post-6968-127246883175.jpg

Thanks again for the comments guys,

I have been out a couple of times to the garage since posting my thoughts and I'm still not in the railway mood. I have lifted some of the track on the main viewing side, and just left a blank canvas again, hoping that the inspiration fairy will pop along soon.

I like the idea of sections and I know its been mentiond several times. I seem to recall that there was a model railway on Poole Quay (up the curly stairs and above the aquarium) that did this and it was quite effective.

I think a couple of my reasons for being unhappy with it all is the lift out sections and joining the track up when they are in place. I tried the PCB style but reverted back to fish plates, purely because my wood work skills are below average and I couldn't get the right levels. I shall have another look at how I can resolve that and maybe the roundy roundy can continue. Until then maybe I should just crack on with a section at a time. Now to think of some ideas for those!

Thanks again for your help/support/encouragement it is appreciated.

I shall keep my pages updated.

Regards

Scott

• RMweb Gold

I have about eight plans so far for my next OO project and about 5 more for the storage sidings so there's nowt wrong with keeping changing it's just you doodle with the actual track! There are a few different good techniques for lift out sections but I suspect yours are prone to the vagaries of temperature and humidity in the garage. I rebuilt my fathers layout higher with a duckunder to eliminate the same problems.

• RMweb Premium

Scott

My old layout was in the garage and had lift outs at both ends, neither gave any problems regardless of the temperature. If you like I'll have a look next Friday and try to help if I can.

Hang on in there mate it will all come together I'm sure!wink.gif

I never thought of it like that PaulRHB, Doodling with track. I like it.. lol

Ian, you're more than welcome to cast your eye over the lift out sections, it's just a shame there won't be anything running. I would have liked to have introduced you and Kevin into the world of 66's!

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott

It sounds to me like you have itchy fingers to try something else....well good luck.

I wish I have the space/option for a continous run so i would watch the trains

(complete with sound!). Anyway will watch to see your next idea....

cheers

Keith

Hi Scott,

I am sure things will work out in the end, but maybe if like you say you are bored with the layout leave it for a while, and work on some stock or build a couple of kits, you might just get some insperation while doing something else. Do some armchair modelling and look through some books and mags it might give you some ideas.

Cheers Peter,

The fiddle yard! lol

Peter, I might have a go at weathering some locos, the other thing I may do is thin out some of my stock, not that I have loads but I do have a mix of bits. Maybe If I was more specific in my choice it would make it easier to model something, rather than trying to incorporate every possible option and complicate matters.

Cheers

Scott

Keep it going Scott, looking at your locos and stock inspire me to get up into my loft and work on mine. I need to walk away from my layout sometimes for a week or so.

All the best

Leon

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought Scott, have you thought about about something 'portable' rather than filling all your space, a new dual period Leaford perhaps???????wink.gif

D'ya get where I'm coming from? I'm sure the 'road crew' would pitch in and help with the bits you find more difficult.wink.gif biggrin.gif

See ya Friday.

Leon, you are right having time away does help, I haven't been out there half as much as I normally do. And I think it's starting to work.

I have had an idea and I am working on it this evening, I'm not going to say too much at the moment, but one thing I will say is that its not a roundy roundy and its not all freight freight freight! I

Ian, I would one day like to have a portable layout that would be to a standard that I could exhibit but not yet.... but I am thinking about the dual period with the current doodle. You will see it Friday unless things move on really quickly in that case it will appear on these pages.

I'm on leave now for a week so once I get the list of jobs left for me out of the way I may get some quality time in the garage.

Cheers

Scott

• 4 weeks later...

Things have changed since my last post, (no surprise there)

I have sold all of my stock relating to the present period and have started to back date the era to the 90's.

I will be having large logo, sub sector and possibly the introduction of mainline livery locos appearing fresh out of the works. So that will take me up to about 1994 (?) Still researching the history...

The area modelled will be southern region NSE period, so lots of red paint coming out.

Bocott has once again been re built, this time it is a terminus with one through line that is mainly a freight line but with on epassenger working, normally provided by a 108.

My plan was to sell all of my stuff and with the money made, spend it all on new stock. However that wasn't to be and other things have taken the money. so my stock will be limited for a while. The plan is to go full DCC sound but that will have to wait.

There are several reasons for the change, I prefer the varied liveries, I used to go spotting with my dad and it gives me fond memories of our bonding and also since operating Leaford and hopefully Exford Park soon, I felt it would be good to be able to take locos to vist these layouts and hopefully vice versa, I can accommodate visting locos from them without it looking out of place.

I am still in the early statges,ballasting and scenry are yet to be started. There will be breaks along the board which will consist of a couple of road bridges, but I have yet to build them. I have provided a few pics below to give you an idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

post-6849-127487877021_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127487877472_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127487877912_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127487878703_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127487879432_thumb.jpg

post-6849-127487879856_thumb.jpg

Hi Scott,

You can't beat a nice terminus,laugh.gif laugh.gif and that is definitely a Crompton in those pictures.biggrin.gif I like the Inter-City 47 I am waiting on one at the moment. The track work looks good, looks like it will be fun to oparate, you have the best of both worlds having a through freight line as well. Hope all goes well with this one mate.

You have chosen a good time period too.

Cheers Peter,

I have to agree Peter, the terminus should be fun to operate, lots of loco movements.. I wasn't initially going to have a through line but it was pointed out to me about the additional operating potential so I decided to do it. I am fairly confident that this era and layout is to stay, I can't afford to keep changing my mind anymore.

And I never thought a 33 could cause so much interest Lewis. lol..

Cheers

Scott

Hi Scott,

I have to agree with the other comments, looking good. I like the through freight line idea. What is the supposed detsination for it?

Nice to see you have joined in with the late 80's / early 90's - lots of triple grey locos.

Look forward to the updates

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hello stranger did my text today prompt an update then?

Looking good so far, have you left the FY as it was or made a loop as Kevin suggested? Good to hear the loco stud is growing slowly, probably the best way as I've been guilty of the scattergun approach to loco buying before and ended up with too many! I'm sure a Class 50 or something could be outbased to Bocott from Exford for a while until your stock grows.

You are certainly welcome to come and play here when it suits, give me a shout next time your at Eastleigh perhaps.

Now you've made the decisions about the layout stick with it fella it'll all come good in the end.good_mini.gif

Archived