The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I don't like Cricket... I love it!

Hi folks,

just sat listening to TMS on the the web and the English boys (plus South Africans Pietersen and Strauss) are doing pretty well against India. So it got me browsing here to see if there were any cricket threads.

Anyway, just thought I'd get one going as the only one I could find was the triumphant Ashes series this Winter just gone.

So, thought I'd share a few things, see if anyone can add to these.

Favourite players: Ian Bell, Graeme Swann, Danni Wyatt (England womens international)

Best player I've played against: Shahid Nazir (former Pakistan test cricketer)

Most promising youngsters I've seen: James Taylor (Leicestershire) and Danni Wyatt

Anyway, feel free to comment on these or add anything to the thread - if it's cricket, we want it in this thread!

• RMweb Premium

I've just "retired" from playing at 58 (actually I just never started this season). I was a pretty fair medium pace bowler on my day, but my right shoulder said "that's enough" last August and I haven't played since.

I don't really follow the "big" game (although it's nice to see England doing OK); I prefer to watch a club/village green match, preferably while nursing a pint.

My favourite players in recent years are probably Paul Collingwood - underrated, unassuming and very professional, and Matthew Hoggard for his commitment and attitude.

Had a trial for Lancashire many moons ago (1977) but didn't get selected.

This is an extremely interesting test match brought to life once again by the excellent commentary from TMS, those guys really are the cream of broadcasting. Even if you didn't like or understand cricket, listening to TMS is one of the few entertaining things the BBC puts on! Listening to Geoff Boycott, Phil Tuffnell, Michael Vaughan and Sunil Gaviskar really does make my day!

The English boys (plus South Africans Pietersen and Strauss) are doing pretty well against India.

Hi Chris

you forgot Trott, still only 3 South Africans this time, perhaps things are improving.

I wonder if we will ever see a true ENGLISH team again, come to think of it , can anyone remember the last time there was one.

Bob

Hi Chris

you forgot Trott, still only 3 South Africans this time, perhaps things are improving.

I wonder if we will ever see a true ENGLISH team again, come to think of it , can anyone remember the last time there was one.

Bob

So Matthew Prior doesn't count as a Saffie, despite being born in Johannesburg? Make than four.

There's nary an England team that was fully English. Try this little lot for starters...

Alan Lamb, Robin Smith, Basil D'Olivera, all South Africans

Robert Croft - Welsh

Mike Denness - Scots

Eoin Morgan - Irish

Derek Pringle - Kenyan

Dominic Reeve - Hong Kong

Phil Defreitas - Dominican

Devon Malcolm - Jamaican

Nasser Hussein - Indian

Geoffrey Boycott - Yorkshire

Love listening to TMS and was pleasantly surprised yesterday to hear Aggers introduce "the best song ever written about cricket", then Roy Harper played "when an old cricketer leaves the crease" live on air. A very creditable version too, particularly as he is now 70 years old.

Roy still talks like a hippie though. Yesterday Aggers asked him if he still remembered the years when he enjoyed some success. Roy said he remebered it, but couldn't be sure that what he remembered was what actually happened. I recall seeing him in concert at Uni about 1975. Part way through the set, he says between songs "anyone got a smoke?" and within half a second a joint had landed on the stage at his feet and he picked it up and smoked it. Those were the days.:)

• RMweb Premium

Cricket..? that's the game that used to be on BBC TV before Mr Rupert Murdoch bought it out..is it not?

Stephen.

Yes quite correct. At least he's getting some comeuppance at the mo'. :lol: I follow the tests and keep up with what Essex are doing, but that's about it. I use to play inter-exchange matches when I worked for BT, but at a very average standard.

Cricket related story.

My daughter was left a small sum of money by a relative who'd passed on. Mad on sport she decided to go to Oz for the last Ashes series. The first match was the Boxing Day test in Melbourne, Australia all out for 98 on the first day. Having never been to any sort of cricket before she asked her partner "Is this what normally happens at tests?" "No, not normally" was the reply.

Rob

So Matthew Prior doesn't count as a Saffie, despite being born in Johannesburg? Make than four.

There's nary an England team that was fully English. Try this little lot for starters...

Alan Lamb, Robin Smith, Basil D'Olivera, all South Africans

Robert Croft - Welsh

Mike Denness - Scots

Eoin Morgan - Irish

Derek Pringle - Kenyan

Dominic Reeve - Hong Kong

Phil Defreitas - Dominican

Devon Malcolm - Jamaican

Nasser Hussein - Indian

Geoffrey Boycott - Yorkshire

You're right, I totally forgot about messrs Prior and Trott.

Just adding to that list above...

Graeme Hick - Zimbabwe (or Rhodesia at the time he was born) - now he was without doubt, my all time favourite. Just wish he'd cracked test cricket.

With regards to the current game, it's well poised, and I agree with Dagrizz and LN Lancs, the TMS team is quite something. I'm not a Henry Blofeld fan but I do enjoy it when Tuffers (sorry, Doctor Tufnell) is on with him - although you can't beat the 'rubber' commentary between Vaughany and Aggers earlier this season!

Regarding my own playing background, played althrough my teenage years and up to the age of 24. Then life - and a chronic nerve problem - got in the way. Had a couple of age group trials with Staffs and Cheshire aged 13/14 when I was actually a fairly decent opening bat.

The perfect day now would consist of a trip to the County Ground at Derby in the sun... oooh, I'm going a week on Thursday! Why Derby? Well, as a youngster I played for the same club that produced Dominic Cork (and was chaired by his Dad), and he used to organise free tickets for the juniors to go and watch each season.

• RMweb Premium

My dad was a keen and very decent cricketer but his playing days ended before I was born. I recall that he told me that he once took 4 wickets in an innings playing for the RAF against one of the county sides. No doubt there will be records somewhere.

I made up the numbers in a very local team once. Batted well down the order and didn't bowl much but I was half decent as a close catcher.

I lost a bit of interest once I could no longer spend several days in a row sat in front of BBC2 watching a test.

I only went to see one "proper" match with my dad. It was a contest between Notts and the touring Australians, probably as long ago as the mid to late 70s. It was the second day of the match and Notts were on a hundred and something for 5 (long time ago - may be a bit off with those). Dad decided that we could go and watch Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thompson polish off the tail and then watch the great Aussie batsman at work.

It was a beautiful day but some of the Notts batsman hadn't listened to my dad and when we left at the end of the day Notts had gone over 500 and had scored some sort of record for a county side against the Aussies. I recall Bruce French filled his boots and I can still see Lillee in my mind, getting angrier and angrier, as his best efforts went flying to the boundary.

Happy days!

The appearance of it on the village green is very fine, especially as viewed from the pub garden with a pint of Old Stoatworthy or whatever in hand, and the prospect of lunch to come. But the actual playing of it is tedious in the extreme: modern technology could devise a far better whacking club for a start, and those stick things are way too flimsy. So I shall confine myself to occasionally sitting and watching on suitable sunny weekends, as I have done for the past forty years.

Love listening to TMS and was pleasantly surprised yesterday to hear Aggers introduce "the best song ever written about cricket", then Roy Harper played "when an old cricketer leaves the crease" live on air. A very creditable version too, particularly as he is now 70 years old.

That's a shame, I missed that - I agree with Aggers' choice, a great song, especially with the brass band arrangement, although off the top of my head I can't think of any other songs about cricket!

• RMweb Premium

That's a shame, I missed that - I agree with Aggers' choice, a great song, especially with the brass band arrangement, although off the top of my head I can't think of any other songs about cricket!

The guy from the Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon?) collaborated with someone whose name I forget and recently brought out a whole album of songs about cricket, called "The Duckworth Lewis Method" IIRC

England have just won the first test. Well done lads!

Yes, I'm just home - having spent four days at Lord's, followed tonight by a dash to Kensington for the Prom concert. I started at Lord's at 8:00am, when the queue was literally round the block.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Watched cricket then because of youngest son (who managed a senior league century at 17) I have become - a qualified scorer, coach and have been an umpire for the last 6 years. On most summer saturdays I get a free tea and expenses to stand for 100 overs enjoying a game of cricket - and a chance to see some really good players (A number of ex county and international players) including Nick Bresnan - Tims older brother.

My current favourite player on the international scene is Bresnan - just watch out for Johny Bairstow - a future England player.

Cricket - lovely cricket ........ and thanks to TMS an enjoyable game to listen to!

The greatest sport in the world without doubt (though I do appreciate football too). The best thing about it is TMS. Today was (if I'm honest) a poor day's cricket with India just trying to put off the declaration as long as possible with a ring of fielders on the boundary. HOWEVER listening to TMS is never dull, whether it's Jiffry Boycott extolling the batting expertise of his dear old Mum, Blowers commentating on Buses in the Edgeware Road, Malcolm pulling fascinating stats out of the ether or Michael Vaughan telling us the goings on with a beach ball it is simply great listening. A perfect day for me would involve sun, peace and quiet, a decent book and TMS on the radio. I'd rather not bother watching on the TV mostly, Sky have ruined it with constant adverts and ridiculous repetitive over-analysis, I feel like I'm watching a frog being dissected.