RMweb

Cover versions that improved on the original.

Guest Max Stafford

I liked Alien Ant Farms cover of the Michael Jackson song "Smooth Criminal" - gave it some of the edge that it needed.

Another that comes to mind is the Anthrax version of the Joe Jackson song "Got the Time".

Bowling for Soup covered "I Ran (So Far Away)" by Flock of Seagulls, which I like too, though not sure if the cover beats the original...

Oh, and Def Leppards cover of "Action" by the Sweet.

A definite improvement on the original (IMO) is Michael Andrews/Gary Jules version of the Tears for Fears song "Mad World".

I could go on, but I'll stop for the moment...

I've liked Metallica's take on Whiskey in the Jar-o since I first heard it. I also think Motorhead's cover of R A M O N E S is quite a lot better than the Ramones' original (it's a bit sad if a band's signature number can be blown out of the water by a cover). Distuurbed's version of the Sound of Silence is a really good, dark interpretation.

Oh yeah, and the other day I heard a version of Wish You Were Here done by some Gregorian monks. It was brilliant.

I really like the Wheatus cover of A Little Respect... worth a listen of you have never heard. 

In my humble opinion, Brian Ferry is the king of the cover. Some good 'uns include A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall, That’s How Strong My Love Is and The Tracks of My Tears......

Finally, for something a little different, you can't beat the Mike Flowers cover of Wonderwall!! Always cheers me up!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

It might be sacrilege, but the excellent Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty, is even better when covered by Gun.

I haven't heard Gun covering Baker Street, but the Foo Fighters version puts a great twist on the original.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2011 at 17:20, Colin said:

I remember an amazing 90mph punk version of the Moodies' "Nights In White Satin" - was it The Dickies?

8 years late, but yes, it was the Dickies, along with their 90mph covers of Banana Splits, Sound of Silence, Paranoid and Silent Night amongst others.

• RMweb Premium

Better than the Beatles.

I could also nominate anything originally done by Bob Dylan but that would be too easy, open goal, fish barrel, barn door nine paces, etc .

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I find it interesting that one of my favourite covers hasn't

been mentioned at all,   Mrs Robinson - The Lemonheards

Definitely agree with you on that count, no doubt it trumps the original! 

• RMweb Gold

Best Dylan Cover I've come across is the version of Positively 4th Street by Lucinda Williams. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Pure vitriol.

A bit obscure as it wasn't on one of her own albums (not official ones anyway). Pretty sure I've seen it somewhere on line though.

John

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, MartinWales said:

Many Rivers To Cross, excellently done by UB40 from the Jimmy Cliff original.........

Cracking song Martin, but I prefer the original. If you like either version I'm sure you'll like Toots and the Maytals -Pressure Drop; it's my favourite from the Harder they Come album, however as the orignal is still the best I'm wandering off topic.

• Agree 1

I think Hendrix's cover of Star Spangled Banner is far better than the original version, but sadly many in the USA did not. 

Also Muse's version of Feeling Good is better than the original, which I think was recorded by Cy Grant (of Cliff Michelmore's programme fame) before the second best version by Nina Simone. 

As a child I preferred Twist And Shout by Brian Poole And The Tremeloes to The Beatles' version; although that was kept a strict secret at the time because I would have probably been lynched by my mates. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Neil said:

Cracking song Martin, but I prefer the original. If you like either version I'm sure you'll like Toots and the Maytals -Pressure Drop; it's my favourite from the Harder they Come album, however as the orignal is still the best I'm wandering off topic.

Oh yes, got that one too.............

• Like 1

For many, Stairway to Heaven is a standard that should never be touched by anyone except Led Zeppelin, (even though Spirit guitarist Randy California claims STH is itself a cover of his own "Taurus").  Wikipedia lists some 30 cover versions featuring the good the bad and the horrible but there is one which I really like and would described as a "re-imagined" version, that being the version recorded by Far Corporation, which I believe was also given the thumbs up by Robert Plant.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

For many, Stairway to Heaven is a standard that should never be touched by anyone except Led Zeppelin, (even though Spirit guitarist Randy California claims STH is itself a cover of his own "Taurus").  Wikipedia lists some 30 cover versions featuring the good the bad and the horrible but there is one which I really like and would described as a "re-imagined" version, that being the version recorded by Far Corporation, which I believe was also given the thumbs up by Robert Plant.

I think this is one of the better ones, to my taste better than LZ.

20 hours ago, Neil said:

Talking of Toots and the Maytals, I was listening to their version of Take me Home, Country Road last night. Very interesting!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jonny777 said:

As a child I preferred Twist And Shout by Brian Poole And The Tremeloes to The Beatles' version; although that was kept a strict secret at the time because I would have probably been lynched by my mates. 

But this was originally recorded by the Top Notes, not the Beatles, which brings me on to a point.

Surely the best covers are those from which the originals are relatively unknown?

Nothing Compares 2U - originally Prince but  I don't think that should count because he didn't release it. It was released by The Family as an album track, then covered by Sinead O'Connor. Most will never have heard The Family's version.

Angel of the Morning by 'Juice Newton'. When I heard this at the start of Deadpool I recognised it as something 'forgotten from the 90s'. Actually it was 1981 but there were several versions of it before that, none of which I have heard of.