RMweb

Cover versions that improved on the original.

Guest Max Stafford

• RMweb Premium

I also tend to prefer the original but there are a few cover versions that in my opinion improve on the original.

1. California Dreaming. Great original but the Beach Boys version with Roger McGuinn of the Byrds playing on it is fantastic.

2. Ruby Tuesday by Melanie is I feel marginally better than the original even thought the Stones are one of my favourite bands.

3. City of New Orlenas by Willie nelson or the Highwaymen. Steve Goodman's original was good but these I think are better. We played this at the end 'yankee railroaders' funeral service and even though I wasn't able to get there my friends said that there were very few dry eyes in the house.

I'm not too sure about how to get You Tube links on but will try and edit them in later.

Jamie

Glad to see Johnny Cash's version of Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' in here - much as I liked the original Johnny Cash adds some touching human frailty to it. I first heard it in my car on the way home from some kayaking event on a nice sunny day, it seemed the perfect song at the time - radio turned right up.

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see Johnny Cash's version of Nine Inch Nails 'Hurt' in here - much as I liked the original Johnny Cash adds some touching human frailty to it. I first heard it in my car on the way home from some kayaking event on a nice sunny day, it seemed the perfect song at the time - radio turned right up.

Top track indeed, makes Peter Hammill sound like Timmy Mallet.

• RMweb Premium

I think that Bob Dylan is one of, if not the best song-writers of all time, but I think that pretty much any cover of any of his songs is an improvement over the original. Two immediate examples are the Hollies ancient album "Hollies Sing Dylan" and Martin Simpson's "Masters of War" and "Boots of Spanish Leather".

Ed

Agreed, 'The Byrds play Dylan' is one of my favourite albums.

And another vote for Johnny Cash's 'Hurt' and its tear-jerking qualities.

I like This Mortal Coil's version of Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren' with Liz (Cocteau) Frazer on vocals.

(Liz' name corrected! B) )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I like This Mortal Coil's version of Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren' with Liz (Cocteau) Sutherland on vocals.

I made the mistake of playing that in the car once, got so chilled out I drove into the car in front. :-/

I assume you mean Liz Frazer BTW!

• RMweb Premium

[

I do find it amazing that this; (All along the Watchtower)

was originally by Bob Dylan! Jimmi's version is the one!

John E.

Even Bob said it was the best version.

Keith

While we're on Bob Dylan, it's worth remembering that he absorbed a lot of influences from traditional and folk music - both words and tunes - compare his Hard Rain with Martin Carthy's version of the traditional song Lord Randall for example. So the idea of a cover improving on an original wouldn't be lost on him, as it's how much of the "Trad." canon of songs developed.

And the idea of "original" itself can be hard to pin down, as everyone is influenced by something else.

• RMweb Premium

While we're on Bob Dylan, it's worth remembering that he absorbed a lot of influences from traditional and folk music - both words and tunes - compare his Hard Rain with Martin Carthy's version of the traditional song Lord Randall for example. So the idea of a cover improving on an original wouldn't be lost on him, as it's how much of the "Trad." canon of songs developed.

And the idea of "original" itself can be hard to pin down, as everyone is influenced by something else.

I was considering proposing the whole of the first Led Zeppelin album as they're all (arguably) cover versions.

Referring back to Dave's original post on this topic, Julie Driscoll's version of 'This wheels on fire' is another cover of a Bob Dylan song. I for one prefer the original........

I fall into the 'original is best' camp I'm afraid, with just the occasional exception, 'Watchtower' for example.

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Oddly enough, my favourite Status Quo album is all cover versions, "Don't Stop" dates from 1996 and is made up of tracks that Quo enjoyed playing, and some of them were what they used for sound checks.

On that album, there is the most amazing cover version of Buddy Holly's "Raining In My Heart" with a very soulful guitar solo from that well known Quo member, Brian May (the album has a number of unexpected guests).

The Nice did a fair old version of "America" from West Side Story...............

Indeed they did - I saw them perform it many many many years ago in Glasgow and it was mind blowing live as well.

• Like 1

Referring back to Dave's original post on this topic, Julie Driscoll's version of 'This wheels on fire' is another cover of a Bob Dylan song. I for one prefer the original........

I fall into the 'original is best' camp I'm afraid, with just the occasional exception, 'Watchtower' for example.

Graham

I've got a fair few cover versions and they vary between 'better than the original' and 'I think I need to go and listen to the original now. Actually, please give me some brain bleach first.'

But I tend to find them interesting regardless.

Then there's the cheekier things like Billy Bragg's 'Ideology' which really is just 'Chimes of Freedom' with different words.

But yes...

There will only ever be one version of Comfortably Numb - the one by Pink Floyd.

There will only ever be one version of Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow - the one by Carole King.

There will only ever be one version of With a Little Help From My Friends - the one by The Beatles.

As to preferring the first version you hear, well, I heard Metallica's version of Stone Cold Crazy first, and I prefer the original...

As an aside. Of songs that have the same title, but aren't the same song...

Evil Woman - Black Sabbath, ELO, or Spooky Tooth?

Heaven Can Wait - Meat Loaf or Iron Maiden?

On a slightly different musical tangent to previous posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w

is in my opinion better than the original

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrnB7c8Dvow

but I prefer the Knife's live version to both

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjwqXwyzNU

It manages to sound like Berlin and the Cure at the same time.

BTW, adding embedded youtube vids is easy. Find the vid, copy the address, then start a post, press the Insert Media button (furthest right) and paste in the address

• RMweb Premium

Talking of Dylan covers, what about Fairport Convention's infectiously chaotic rendition of "If You Gotta Go, Go Now" sung in "O" Level(Failed) French and renamed "Si Tu Dois Partir"?

Then there's The Who's "Summertime Blues" and "Shakin' All Over" from Live At Leeds - marvellous stuff! T Rex also covered Summertime Blues (but not quite as loud).

An honourable mention for "David Watts" by The Jam - more a homage to Ray Davies than a new version.

And of course Rolf Harris's take on "Stairway To Heaven"..................... great stuff, I won't hear a word against it!