The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tony Wright

BlackRat

I only met Tony very briefly at the York show once but he is certainly a very nice chap who has done so much for the hobby, I wish him a full and speedy recovery.

As an aside, a cousin of mine is one of his neighbours and when she learnt that I'm into railways, she was enthusing about Tony and what a gent he is - so you know he is well liked in his village too!

Cheers,

John E.

It is going to take a while before he returns and I'm sure that we all wish him well.

Thinking of TW, I notice that the Wolverhampton boys are exhibiting Stoke Summit at the Spalding show on Nov 12/13. And I believe it is out to York next year. Always a good layout to watch the trains go by.

• Like 1

I am sure Tony is missed at the Willoughby Arms in Little Bytham where he is quite a charachter,also in the lack of his involvement at BRM. I am very privelidged to say that this genuine and likeable Gent is a personal friend of mine and I wish him a full recovery as quickly as possible. Best Regards also to Mo and their two sons.

Kind Regards,Derek.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We were very pleased to receive a surprise visit from Tony and Mo today, while a bunch of us were together playing trains with Retford. He didn't know about the thread on RMWeb and when we showed it to him I think he was a little embarrased to see the sorts of things people were saying about him, while also being very appreciative!

He is still a long way from being well again but it was very good to see him taking some excellent photographs and showing a bit of interest in model railways again. I hope today has done him some good and he is hoping to come again soon, so that is promising.

He has asked me to pass on his thanks for all the kind words and messages of support, which I am happy to do.

Tony Gee

• Like 18

I am sure Tony is missed at the Willoughby Arms in Little Bytham where he is quite a charachter,also in the lack of his involvement at BRM. I am very privelidged to say that this genuine and likeable Gent is a personal friend of mine and I wish him a full recovery as quickly as possible. Best Regards also to Mo and their two sons.

Kind Regards,Derek.

I'd just like to echo what Derek has written here. I've known Tony for several years now and he is one of my best friends in the model railway world; his continued ill health is a source of great sadness to me. I particularly feel sorry for Tony's wife Mo. Anyone who knows Mo will, I am sure, agree when I say she is an absolutely lovely woman. Looking after her poorly husband must be putting her under great strain at a time in her life when she ought to be starting to take things a little easier.

Best wishes to both of them.

Tony is my favorite movie star and it is sad to read about his ill health.

I wish him well and am looking forward to seeing him again on his next DVD.

I hope you soon get well again, Tony!!

Leen.

• RMweb Premium

Only just found this thread, sorry to hear that Tony has not been well.

We also have never met, but through the magazines and the DVD I feel I know him as a friend.

Get well soon Tony.

Thanks to Tony Gee for the update on Tony W' s health. Mr Wright has been a good friend and loyal supporter of our local show for many years and photographed our layout for BRM. We share a passion for East Coast steam and agree on so many things it's frightening. I can only add my best wishes to Tony, Mo and the boys, and my pleasure at hearing he has recently been out and about.

Keep getting better Tony from Mike and the rest of us at Scarborough DRM.

Tony, we met briefly once about a year ago, and like so many people, I am very saddened to hear about your current ill health.

You offer so much to the model railway scene, and for this I’m personally very grateful:

· the stunning photographs of model railway scenes, that not only force me to look twice in order to check whether or not it's the real thing, but that inspire me by demonstrating what really can be achieved in this fabulous hobby

· also, the Right Track DVD series that is such a huge source of inspiration and learning, helping to de-mystify and encourage people like me to have a go, aided by your warm and easy going presenting style that inspires confidence and support.

Please hurry up and get yourself better, as there’s so much more to do!!

My very best wishes

Mike

Edited by Mike Sheardown
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Just an update. I went over to see Tony on Wednesday, and was very encouraged, as he was much more like his old self. He asked me to pass on his thanks for all the kind comments and good wishes. He's rung me today, and he's not so good again, but that's part of the illness and I'm not surprised. I'm still confident he's on the mend, and that we may be seeing him again sooner rather than later. It's been far too quiet, hasn't it?

• Like 14

Thats fantastic news Gilbert.Thank you for keeping us updated.

I hear a certain Chinese in Wide Westgate did consider laying off staff,lets hope they soon won't need to.

I imagine Spalding will seem very quite this weekend although the Ranby Rambler will be heard cursing the fact that soldering irons are Hot.

Hi all,

Just an update. I went over to see Tony on Wednesday, and was very encouraged, as he was much more like his old self. He asked me to pass on his thanks for all the kind comments and good wishes. He's rung me today, and he's not so good again, but that's part of the illness and I'm not surprised. I'm still confident he's on the mend, and that we may be seeing him again sooner rather than later. It's been far too quiet, hasn't it?

Really encouraging news Gilbert, let's hope that Tony is really on the mend. Life's been rather dull without him these past few months!

• RMweb Premium

Even better news to report. TW was able to go to Spalding on Friday to deliver his stock for Stoke Summit, and not only that but to go for a meal with the guys in the evening. I've spoken to him today, and he says he had a bad day on Saturday, but that's to be expected. I know from personal experience that it takes huge effort and lots of guts to go out and meet people again when you have been as ill as he has, so a "down" period will inevitably follow. That didn't stop him going back again on Sunday afternoon for the last hour of the show though :biggrin_mini: and that is huge, believe me. What's more, he's coming over to spend the day with me tomorrow, and sort out some of my more recalcitrant locos and stock. All in all, he's really progressing now. We need to remember though that he's still very delicate, and there may be setbacks. I've nearly got the whole of one of my dearest friends back though. :biggrin_mini2: He spent months saying he would never do various things, or see various people again, but he's now running out of both!

• Like 17

Good to hear of the latest developments Gilbert. Being honest I wouldn't say Tony was an RMweb fan, feeling that we were probably people who gave their monkeys regular spankings. I would have tried to provide evidence to the contrary but Tony encountered one of our finest; let's say he was someone who as oft (anag.) caused problems around here. At that point I decided that my efforts would be futile. :laugh:

Seriously though, I hope he's on the up and look forward to sparring with him again at some point in the future and to convince him there's some rather good talent on here.

;)

• Like 4