Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The 2012 London Olympics

60026to

To be honest I wish I had the readies to elope somewhere without TV/internet access, I'm thinking of the moon but that might not be far enough away.

The beach volley ball might be worth a look though....roll on London 2012........

• RMweb Premium

I don't know why all this aversion to sport and the Olympics in particular. There are plenty of other channels to watch. Or you could do some modelling, that's what I do when the soaps come on, :bad: or nothing's on to interest me.

Rob

• Like 6

Simply turning the TV off might be a way of avoiding some of the coverage - but all the other hassle and interruption to normal life can only be avoided by running away to some desert island. I'm trying to negotiate my annual US trip for the period and to extend it. Being stuck in outback US all of a sudden seems far more appealing. SWMBO can be left behind to guard the house from squatters relatives who have plans on invading our hospitality, for some unfathomable reason she likes watching sport and soaps.

Well I'm looking forward to the Olympics. Yes it will cause congestion, but not to those who watch it on tele. I personaly think its an honour to be presenting such an important event. I havn't applied for tickets as i feel they are too expensive, but if people are willing to pay then so be it. Why do we always put down anything this country does ?

• Like 7

My wife will insist on watching the London news after the BBC news bulletins. It really should be called the "Olympic News", because any trivial speculation is magnified into a full "news" item. I suppose the alternative is to watch rubbish commemorating the expiry of some so-called celebrity. Thank heaven for the internet - I can at least get away from the nonsense and read some real news.

Dennis

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You lot think you've got it bad, you only have to put up with it for a few weeks. Living in Stratford, East London, I've had to put up with whole bl**dy construction and the associated regeneration for the past five years. If I'm still here after the Olympics (and I hate to think it but it could happen that I'm stuck here longer due to this bl**dy recession and weak economy!) there will still be more as they shift the usage from Olympics to ongoing housing and office space. Oh, and of course there's Crossrail doing its construction too, which isn't due to finish until 2016-17.

However, despite all of the disruption and the annoyance it has and continues to cause, I don't feel animosity to the Olympics themselves, and there is going to be an undoubted benefit to this part of East London in the long term, something it sorely needs. Whether the people who live here will respect the improvements though is another matter. I don't see the 'chav' element changing its ways anytime soon.

As for me, regardless of the improvements I'd had enough of the place three years ago, and so I for one am hoping against hope against hope that I can get out of here as soon as is practically possible. :resent:

.... regardless of the improvements I'd had enough of the place three years ago, and so I for one am hoping against hope against hope that I can get out of here as soon as is practically possible. :resent:

The value of your home can go up as well as down!

Personally, I think the London Olympics are a complete and utter waste of money. Money that could be far better spent in other areas.

What annoys me about it is that the original spirit of the games has been lost completely and it has become little more than corporate willy waving. You've only got to see all the adverts on the TV at the moment where companies are providing competitions where people can win the right to carry the Olympic flame. Surely that should fall to pillars of the community, and people who have earned the right - rather than to the highest bidder. :angry:

• Like 7

Guest Dave.C

I wouldn't say that I was looking forward to it, but I will watch a large slice of it on the box, and at least being in the UK it will be on at sensible times smile3.gif

Having survived a Winter Olympics, I'm not looking forward to the chaos that's going to be coming to London. Our train service is going to be ****ed up for the duration. Our plan is to take the time off, unplug the telly and hibernate. We've already sent word to family and friends that we're doing serious renovations so won't have any space for visitors. I agree with Robert that its become a willy waving contest for corporate sponsorshp. However, if done right the legacy of the games can be enormous. 23 years later and Calgary still benefits from the 88 games.

There's always something on the "entertainment horizon" to fill the television screens. I'm sure a good many citizens will be only to pleased to watch the Olympics, eat McDonalds Olympic sausage & egg muffins and wave flags from their cars. But for those for whome populistic mindless drivel keep-the-prols-entertained-to-take-their-minds-off-the-real-issues is hell on earth, there is always the great outdoors and preserved railway centres. Aye, and modelling too.

• Like 4

You lot think you've got it bad, you only have to put up with it for a few weeks. Living in Stratford, East London,

But least you will be one of the very few to benefit from the facilities post Olympics - the rest of us are paying through the nose for something we will never get the use of, never wanted in the first place and would even prefer the money was going to good causes. Just like the Dome (another example of political showcasing just for the benefit of London) there is nothing good about it.

Watching yet another "news" item on the BBC, this one about the seating round the Olympic pool stated that some of the seats would only be able to see the edge of the pool. Now is that just bad design, simple greed, or stupidity?

• Like 2

My main annoyance about the 'Olympic Legacy' is that it will make sport even more London centric than it currently is. At the moment the UK's only world standard facilities in sports such as cycling and swimming are mercifully outside the capital, thus we provincials can get a chance to watch top quality competition without the cost and bother that London trips entail. The arrival of the Aquatic Centre and Velodrome in London almost guarantees that future World Class events will be held there, and sod the rest of you.

Agree with earlier posters that the Corporate Tossage that is currently using the Olympics as a profile/sales raising vehicle is really annoying. Petrochemical giant BP using cyclinsts and wheelchair athletes to advertise their products? Surely the ASA should question the relevance of these ads?

• Like 1

Maybe the Olumpics would be better if they were just made a private corporate entertainment event, a bit like G8 meetings, and funded privately. They could hold in Davos or Klosters or one of those out-of-the-way secluded places.

That way the nobs get their enjoyment and networking opportunities, sportspeople get to do sport (without public pressures), and the rest of us can get on with real life.

Simples.

IMO a total waste of time and money - the Tax payer and all Council Tax payers in London have paid for a lot this and a few big organisations will make and a fortune whilst the Tax Payer will be paying the debt off for years to come.

Montreal 1976, anyone? :blink:

Montreal 1976, anyone? :blink:

Surely that is precisely why there is so much corporate sponsorship nowadays?

London won the Olympic bid - that is why the Games are London centric. If Manchester had won it it will have been Manchester centric. Nothing new there.

Me? I don't give a toss - nothing now will bring back "my" Stratford. I'll be watching though because I like field sports.

What does annoy me, being a centre fire pistol shot, is that I am unable to practice my sport in my own country yet they are bending the laws to allow other teams to compete.

Cheers! Pete.

• RMweb Premium

True - but not everyone, particularly in urban areas, owns their home.

Which is the case with me as I rent. I won't benefit from the Olympics or the legacy (bearing in mind my desire to leave!)

I'm trying to negotiate my annual US trip for the period and to extend it. Being stuck in outback US all of a sudden seems far more appealing.

Don't think you can escape it that way - even outback US will have an excess of Olympic coverage. You will probably be hard pressed to find any indication that there are other competitors than US ones, and you will also be hard pressed to find any coverage of the actual events (the majority of the coverage will be talking heads...)

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Come on all you naysayers. Stop sniping and let the millions who are obviously interested and proud to have them here and are looking forward to a great games. Judging by the millions who didn't manage to get any tickets there will be a huge following in this country. I'm very pleased to have got some tickets for the sailing finals in Weymouth.

........and as has been said before "there's always the beach volleyball!":yahoo:

• Like 2