Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hi Richard

Yes it is a little tight.......& there's not much legroom at the front......Both my son & I are 6' !!!!!!

Still,so long as I follow the 'masterplan' it all goes in.

Yes,we had a great day......We both enjoyed the show & were made very welcome by all.......

Thanks to you & all at Barnstaple Model railway club for putting on such an enjoyable show & the ladies in the kitchen for feeding & watering us so well.

It was nice to meet a new audience who asked a different set of questions, and also nice to meet a few more RMWebbers & put faces to names....

Thanks for the pics.....they look really good.....As usual other people take photo's from different angles than me so I tend to get a different view of the layout when I see them...

Only one minor mishap......one point blade came apart.....A couple of minutes & that was sorted.

& I forgot to bring the box with the road vehicles......They are now on my check list of things to take so hopefully I won't repeat that.

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

• RMweb Premium

Hi Bill,

I was very impressed with Penhallick Junction, and watched it for quite a while at Barnstaple.  You've really captured the atmoshere of the area, it couldnt be anywhere but Cornwall.

When is it out again?

All the best, Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Thanks for your kind comment.....Greatly appreciated....

You should have said hello....It's really good to meet fellow RMWebber's & put faces to Avatars.

Penhallick Junction is next let loose on an unsuspecting public at the Plymouth show at the Guildhall on Sat & Sunday week the10th/11th August.

Then in October we travel to the Wadebridge show on 5th & 6th October.....

Hope to see you at either or both.

Thanks again

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

I see you are at Plymouth next mouth, I am there as well with Yard Shunter and also at Hayle at the end the mouth so I will see you there. 

Glade you and your son enjoyed the Barnstaple show.

RAY70B  

Bill, your layout is looking most impressive and seemed to be running really well, great to see both of you again.

We really enjoyed the show, friendly wasn't it!

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for the comment.....

It certainly was a very friendly show & Will & I had a very enjoyable show.

Hobbiton End certainly looked good...Something very different...

Hope to see you again soon

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

I see you are at Plymouth next mouth, I am there as well with Yard Shunter and also at Hayle at the end the mouth so I will see you there. 

Glade you and your son enjoyed the Barnstaple show.

RAY70B  

Hi Ray

We certainly did enjoy it...a great day & well worth getting up at 5 am for.

We'll have to be careful.....If we keep meeting up like this people will start talking!!!!

Look forward to seeing you at both Plymouth  & Hayle.

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well Penhallick is being packed up in readiness for it's trip to the Plymouth show this coming weekend.

Slight downer is that my son can't be there on the Saturday & my nephew can't make it either ,both due to work commitments,so I'll be on my own on Saturday.

However I've operated the layout on my own all day before at a show so no real problem.

Spent the last couple of days making up display boards for the front of the layout.......

I'll post some pictures of them in place when it's all up at the show.

As usual,say hello if you're coming to the show.....

It's great to meet fellow RMWebbers & although I might be a bit busy I'm never too busy to say hello!

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

Damned Computers.!.!.!.!

Mine has died again so back to borrowing SWMBO's laptop so no pictures yet....

Any way.......good trip to Plymouth yesterday....all set up nicely & working well......

Caught the train up & back today......1 1/2 hr trip up & back each way + 15min walk to & from the station.....

All went well.....very tiring being on my tod......but very enjoyable.......

Met a lot of very friendly visitors & seemed to have a good audience most of the day who asked lots of questions.....

The advantage of the shuttle is that something moves quite regularily & lots of random shuffling of a variety of wagons meant that something moved most of the time....

There were times when I had to go out front to answer questions properly & occasions where the viewer came round the back to have their query answered properly.....Not a problem when there are two of us.....But when on my own I felt it more important to answer the query fully,& leave the shuttle to do its job of entertaining

Hopefully the public understood.

Had quite a few questions from younger children,including an in depth explanation of how the shuttle works!!!!Electronics to the under 10's.

A very enjoyable day  & I look forward to tomorrow

Cheers Bill

Edit due to me pressing the wrong button & posting before I had finished writing

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 2

And me sitting on the layout behind you all day telling you how awesome your layout is, helping you spend your money on a future project, asking questions, talking about china clay and signal boxes then telling you your sorry miserable squashed thing is getting cold :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

Hi Bill

It was nice to meet you at the Plymouth show yesterday. You were very helpful to me with your knowledge of both the china clay information and model railways. You put yourself out answering my questions while operating your fantastic layout and showing me bits both in front of your layout and behind as well. Nothing was too much for you and for someone starting out you were a great inspiration and I really want to get on and start my own layout. I will be checking out the RMweb sites you told me about and getting out and about in Cornwall to take some pictures of my own.

I will be setting up my work table very soon to work on weathering the stock I have already in our new home as I do not have anywhere yet for my layout and I work away all week so progress will be slow until i can find work here in Cornwall. So lots to do in the meantime. Thanks once again for your inspiration.

Moon

• Like 1

Hi Bill

Hope you had a good weekend at Plymouth as Matlough and I did on Yard Shunter, I had a servo playing up on Saturday morning but have it sorted know.

Will see you at Hayle on Friday evening 23rd Aug.

RAT70B

Edited by RAY NORWOOD
  • Like 1

Hi All

Got Back home just after 6pm just as the neighbours  returned from their hols in Scotland.....

We'd been looking after their animals/fishs etc so they took us out for a meal.

V nice it was too.

I had a great weekend at Plymouth.....

Met some really nice people who asked a great variety of questions which I hope I was able to answer to their satisfaction.....

The Plymouth club made me most welcome & a big thankyou to Ian Harris for the invite..

Got some more invites but will advertise them when confirmed so it would appear Penhallick will be busy next year.

Hope to see you all soon

Cheers Bill

Glad its all going good Bill.

Under 10's probably have more idea than me at electronics...! .

Have a good day tomorrow

See you soon

Jack

Hi Jack

Electronics is a black art as far as I'm concerned.....

The most important thing was to try & explain in a way that he might understand without talking down to him.....

Difficult when you don't know the child but his father was most supportive & understood  what I'd said & spent ages explaining the principle to him in terms the lad could understand with a spare cassette I had.....

The future of the hobby...Can't spend too much time with them.

Chers Bill

• Like 1

And me sitting on the layout behind you all day telling you how awesome your layout is, helping you spend your money on a future project, asking questions, talking about china clay and signal boxes then telling you your sorry miserable squashed thing is getting cold :sarcastichand:

Hi Reece

Good to see you again.....

Yours was the miserable squashed thing.....mine just went cold!!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

It was nice to meet you at the Plymouth show yesterday. You were very helpful to me with your knowledge of both the china clay information and model railways. You put yourself out answering my questions while operating your fantastic layout and showing me bits both in front of your layout and behind as well. Nothing was too much for you and for someone starting out you were a great inspiration and I really want to get on and start my own layout. I will be checking out the RMweb sites you told me about and getting out and about in Cornwall to take some pictures of my own.

I will be setting up my work table very soon to work on weathering the stock I have already in our new home as I do not have anywhere yet for my layout and I work away all week so progress will be slow until i can find work here in Cornwall. So lots to do in the meantime. Thanks once again for your inspiration.

Moon

Hi Moon

It was good to meet you yesterday & I'm glad I was able to help.....

From my viewpoint part of the fun of exhibiting is to talk to the 'audience' & answer any question asked to the best of my ability......

Thank you for your comment as it is really nice to feel appreciated.......

If there is any thing else you want to know & you want to ask...either ask on this thread or PM me .

Good luck with your project & I look fortward to seeing  your future posts on this forum

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

Hope you had a good weekend at Plymouth as Matlough and I did on Yard Shunter, I had a servo playing up on Saturday morning but have it sorted know.

Will see you at Hayle on Friday evening 23rd Aug.

RAT70B

Hi Ray

It was good to see you again.....Didn't realise your helper was Matloughe of this parish.....

Glad you sorted your servo problem out....I had one point that within half an hour both blades came adrift but fortunately a couple of mintutes each with a hot soldering iron sorted that out!

Look forward to seeing you again in a fortnight

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

As always mate it's great to see Penhallick Junction at the show, at least someone there was running proper trains... it was good to see someone at the show who actually appreciates modern traction and china clay trains. I think it was a very good show with a good fair size venue and a nice number of traders.
However the number of life forms coming up to your layout and asking ''what is china clay?'' was very odd, that's like me going to Wales and asking ''what is slate?'' or going to a coal mine and asking ''what is coal?'' :scratchhead:hahaha

I'll admit the sausage bap I had today was much better than the sorry miserable squashed thing I had yesterday, but then things are never quite right when your on the other side of Brunel's great bridge.

Anyway now to make up for Bill's malfunctioning computer and fill up the page with pictures! Because reading words is boring and pictures are more interesting to look at and everyone likes pictures! Of course those of you who are on the Modelling Cornish Railways Facebook page can see even more interesting pictures and posts :)

1150867_542871745761699_149010573_n.jpg

1003745_542872939094913_254890861_n.jpg

1148940_542872979094909_39597286_n.jpg

1173721_542873045761569_481789896_n.jpg

969266_542873145761559_574663016_n.jpg

Cheers, Reece

• Like 4

Hi Reece

Thanks for posting your pictures.....Always nice to see other peoples viewpoint....

Any one else take any they would like to share?

I think the guy you are referring to had it in his mind that the white weathereing was meant to be snow & just couldn't see past that,even  though I explained the nature of china clay powder.....He certainly didn't know what china clay was (I suspect he wasn't unique in that) but he also had no idea about how stuff is loaded in to wagons so couldn't appreciate how spillage could occur......

Hopefully he now knows abit about china clay & how it is loaded.

Cheers Bill

• Like 1