Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hi Rob D2

Thanks for your comment regarding my slurry tanks.....Most appreciated......

There are pictures on Paul Bartletts (hmrspaul of this parish) site showing pictures of 4 wheel & bogie tanks in use around your time period,,,,

There is a picture of a Crossfield tank wagon in Exeter Riverside yard in 1981......

I just used Paul Bartlett as a search & just kept looking till I found what I was after......

Having found what I was looking for I went back to the beginning & entered TRL Crossfield English China Clay TCA as a search on google & got to the right page,,,,,

There is also a short thread on here entitled China Clay Slurry wagons before the bullets which has more links and info.....

I think there was one for a time in StBlazey yard until a 3 or 4years ago......

I tried several times to get a pic of it but it was obscured by the greenery.......

Hope the above is of use....

(I would use links but I don't know how to)

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman

Hi All

Not done anything to the layout today but made some stock trays......

Rather than carry all my stock in it's original boxes for speed of packing up at Exhibitions & reduction of space taken up in the transport vehicle I bought some Curver type storage boxes.....

I have now made some open trays to sit in these boxes out of thin ply & softwood spacers......

These stack up in the boxes 3 trays per box.

Next when the glue has dried (belt & braces glued & screwed construction) I shall line with thin foam as a protective layer & Hey Presto......

Hope to get a bit more done tomorrow......

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I've done something similar for my locos, just cut dense foam to suit the loco. The manufacturers loco boxes are great for transporting from factory to shop to home, but a bit of a pain at exhibitions keep packing and in packing. Just need to do something similar for a few wagons. Also need a second layer in the box for more locos!

Hi All

The weather's been so good this weekend & the list of jobs so long haven't had much time to do a lot.......To the layout that is!!!!!!!

However,planted the tablet catcher & I'm quite pleased with it.......

It might stand out more with the full glare of the lighting rig but I think it blends in nicely......

A few pics

post-7844-0-70031800-1428348722_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-78870200-1428348747_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-80566600-1428348775_thumb.jpg

Many moons ago I bought some Hornby fag packet livery mk2's & a couple of sleeper coaches.......I also bought a Heljan '57.....

A look at Ebay saw a first class mk2 arrive in the same livery so now we have a sleeper train......

The '57 has no nameplate but hopefully Narrow planet will resolve that (thanks Reece for the suggestion)

post-7844-0-08638600-1428348967_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-93904300-1428348994_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-71570400-1428349018_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-26666500-1428349033_thumb.jpg

I shall have to reprogramme one of the signal servo's as it is raising the arm too high when at danger......fortunately not too difficult a job......

I've used Kadee's to couple the coaches to the loco & .....YOU'VE GUESSED IT ...Coupling heights on the loco are out.....

I've got around it by cutting the Kadee's knuckle off & glueing & pinning it to a spare NEM shaft fro unused tension lock couplings......

As I had the same problem with my Hornby '50's I shall use the same solution to sort their couplings out......

Had a bit of a running session yesterday & found one or two minor problems.....A broken solder joint & one of my'60's couplings are set wrong so they derail the following wagon.......not noticeable on straight track as befpre but a problem,now solved on the curves of a roundy roundy.....

Anyway ,that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 12

Hi All

Had a bit of time to spend on the layout today so got a couple of things done.....

Firstly I had not been happy with the running on the corner at the works end between the traverser & the works end board.

I had bought some cheap code 100 track......Part of its problem was it was a sod to form curves with.....Then not all the levels between the boards were level meaning some packing had to be used....This caused uncoupling of the Kadees & occasional derailments......Also the transition between code 100 code 75 had been achieved by filing the code 100 to height.....

Any way,to cut a long story short I ripped up the track,got rid of the loose pin hinge that I had used to join the baseboards together & replaced this with dowels to locate the boards & relaid with  Peco code 100 track using their converter fishplates to join the code 100 to the code 75....

It certainly seems worth it as it runs a dream now......Very important for exhibiting purposes.....

This evening I fitted a bonfire in the corner where the tree felling had been taking place.

The fire effect is a module from Heathcote Electronics......It is a nice unit but they supply it with 3 red led's....I substituted two of them with orange ones & it gives a much better light in my opinion.....

I bought a smoke unit ages ago so installed that as well......The only downside of the smoke unit is that it only gives off smoke for 10 mins or so before needing refilling.....

I've mocked up a heap of greenstuff to represent the bonfire......It will need building properly but it gives me an idea of what it will look like when finished.....

A couple of pics.....

post-7844-0-95977200-1428869529_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-85257400-1428869555_thumb.jpg

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 10

Tis very nice Bill, good touch with the bonfire, I look forward to seeing this new feature! I see Tom is still sitting there with his flask and sandwiches. :sungum:

Hi Reece

Thanks for the above.......

Yes....Tom was always a slow eater!!!!!

Cheers Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Like the bonfire Bill.

Will you be at Helston 25th and 26th April

Hi Ray

Sorry about the delay in replying but haven't been following RMWeb much lately so missed your comment.......

HAD planned to be  but SWMBO had the transport so couldn't make it !!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

I'd love to see this in the flesh and there's not many layouts I'd say that about.

Is there any appearances near swindon ? Or I'm in chian clay country from 23-30 May ?

Hi rob D2

As above apologies for the late reply.......Other distractions I'm afraid!!!!

Thanks very much for the above comment....Really appreciated......

Sadly no invites in the Swindon area yet.....

But depending on your return trip Penhallick Junction is attending the excellent Exeter show on the weekend of 30/31st May so you might be able to make a detour on your way home if you're travelling back on the 30th or make a day of it on the Saturday if you're going back on the Sunday....

It's an excellent show.....I normally go to it as a punter every year travelling up by train.......A quick look round St David's station.....A very enjoyable visit to the show....A pint or three plus more time at St David's & a nice train ride home....

A nice day out if you can manage it.....I obviously don't know your domestic arrangements but Exeter is in my opinion a nice city with lots to see & plenty of good shops......

See you there!!!!!!

I would like to point out I've no connection with the Exeter club other than being a well satisfied punter in the past......

Cheers Bill

• Like 4

Hi All

Took advantage of the iffy weather to do one or two bits to the layout......

Repaired some of the wear & tear that transport & storage has inevitably caused......Now looking much better......

Spent a lot of time running trains......Seems obvious but as the main line is now the feeder to the yard the crossover at the works end is now where trains enter  & exit the works.....Surprising the faults you find....Now hopefully sorted......None were major but I didn't want to arrive at Exeter & find a problem......Bearing in mind the layout hasn't been run for over a year......

Built the bonfire......The smoke unit seems not to be man enough.....So have ordered a replacement.......from Germany !!!! so hopefully will arrive in time to be replaced.....

Have also added another track to the traverser....So now have 11 storage tracks....3 of which are split in half so I can have two short trains (sprinters etc) in each so in effect I can have 14 different trains in the wings.

Narrow planet have emailed me to say they will be producing my name plates soon for the Sentinel & '57 so that's coming together now.......

Fitted my auto couplings to the Sentinel so will give it  a whirl tomorrow......

Moved the buffers on my HO cargowaggon.....It kept bufferlocking.....I figured out that because it's HO the buffers are too close together so I've moved them apart a bit & hopefully sorted the problem.......Although it's HO it doesn't look out of place next to my Heljan wagons......

Also braced & fixed stays to the integral legs at one end of the layout....Hopefully do the other end tomorrow.....

So lots done but nothing to photo yet.....

Hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow & may take a pic or two....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Had a bit of time on the layout today& goy one or two jobs done......

The new smoke generator is fitted......Ordered it on bank holiday Monday & it arrived on the Friday from Germany.......Superb service......

It genrates a much improved volume of smoke but you can't put too much smoke oil in or nothing happens.......I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.....

Also built the fire.....

Talking of which the flasher unit that gives the flickering light played up leaving the LED's on all the time.......Nothing obvious was wrong so I switched the power off to the layout & when I went back later & turned the power on it was working again.....

I've already fitted a switch so I can turn the smoke unit off if required so I shall probably fit another one so I can switch off the flicker effect as this might solve the problem.....

I also sorted out a wiring problem that had occured once before & 'cured' itself.....

The track through the slurry loading shed had no power......It did this before at a show on the Friday evening when setting up.....Saturday morning & until today it never did it again.......

I think it must have been a poor solder joint in one of the plug/sockets as I rewired past the socket after testing for current & the problem now seems solved.....

Still waiting for my loco nameplates to turn up......

Also ordered a new  Penhallick Junction sign to hang on the lighting rig......But that seems to be taking forever as well !!!!!!!

The Sentinel doesn't run as well as I'd hoped & is being run in again as I type this.......

Had a good play......Shunting & running trains on the main line & all went well.....Plus lots of wheel cleaning & checking auto couplings worked & were set right !!!!!

Well Exeter show is the weekend after next  but I think all is now done to my satisfaction & seems to run well.....Tempting fate I know.....

Helping my son with his layout Penmouth at Hayle show next week so won't get much done next weekend.....

Well that's all for now.....I must try & take a pic or two but if not there should be plenty in a couple of weeks time......

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

Thought I'd fit some vinyls that I bought about 3 years ago to one of my 158's......

I had a go when I bought them.....They're from the Electra Railway Graphics range......Done 3 153's previously which look quite good......

I gave up then 'cos I couldn't get them to fit right.......

They still don't but with a bit of pulling around & trimming with a sharp knife they don't look too bad......

The sides of the units are not the same so it is important to fit the right vinyl to the correct side......

But the main vinyl panels are not quite long enough so you get a small strip of the original livery showing....as well as the windows not quite lining up towards the unit ends.

The same is true of the ends vinyl panels......

I should note that therse vinyls are being updated  so that the whole side is one vinyl panel whereas these come in three parts so I assume this problem is now sorted.

Anyway they're on now & if I get time I'll try to touch in the paint gaps......

Acouple of quick snaps....

post-7844-0-88141100-1432064017_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-98046900-1432064045_thumb.jpg

You can clearly see the original Regional Railways livery showing at the ends in the pics above but it wasn't too noticeable just looking at the unit on the layout!!! T he camera can be cruel......

My other critiscism is that in my opinion the colours are too pale......But the end result gives a reasonable impression....

The unit will be passing through & not stopping so the gaps in the colour scheme won't show hopefully......

Also  a couple of pics of my recently bought & renumbered '66......

I previously renumbered my other two EWS 66's & the Fox transfer colour seems to be a better match to the other lettering & body paint.....Trouble is I can't remember how I did it....I think I must have redone all the lettering & resprayed the gold panel...I certainly didn't respray the whole model......I just assume that someone was keen & cleaned the number!!!!!

post-7844-0-63392900-1432064073_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-97923100-1432064093_thumb.jpg

Well thats all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well I was just about packed up & ready for Exeter this weekend when I had a mishap......

A stock box slipped to the floor from about a foot high depositong all the CDA'S across the floor.....

TISH I muttered......

Very little damage to the wagons.....A few brake levers etc fell off.....Easily remedied......

The I noticed that in passing it had caught the fencing on the front of the middle board.....Partially demolished the slurry loader & knocked the signal at that end out.......

Guess what I've been doing this evening.......

Well all seems repaired though the super glue holding the signal up seems not to want to go off......hopefully when it does it hasn't jammed the mechanism!!!!!!

Not the only disaster today.......

The layout nameboard arrived today from the signmakers on the same ind estate that I work on......

Unfortunately I wasn't there when the guy dropped it in......

I'd been chasing it for two weeks now....

The font wasn't right but I could live with that......The trouble is that Junction has an N in it but my sign hasn't!!!!!!!

Don't think I'll get it put right by Friday now as they'd gone home by the time I spotted it.....

Ah well....Worse things happen at see.......

Cheers Bill......

PS......I did manage to fit the on off switch for the flame effect on the fire,,,,,just hope it works!!!!!!

Edit to finish post as it sent it before I'd finished writing....

Edited by treggyman

Hi All

Just a quick update......

All loaded in the Landrover bar the traverser......Will put the carrier box on the roofrack tomorrow as it leaks a bit & it's meant to rain tomorrow AM.......

Hopefully all there......It's a long way to take a diorama !!!!!!!!

Rang the sign supplier this morning.....Was assured he'd sort it out today.......Still waiting......Now if he'd said he'd sort it drekly then I'd know it wasn't going to happen.....Still there's always tomorrow.......

On the up side the signal works fine....just needed to adjust the drive motor thingys.....forgotten what they're called.....

Any way looking forward to a great weekend & if you're there be sure to say hello.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2