Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Any possibility of any of the shows being slightly further north than Padstow!!! Would be great to see it and Creedyford. Especially if you back date it to the 80s.

I think it's a cracking layout, really captures that elusive 'atmosphere' of clay country in a fairly small space.

Hi TomJ

Thanks for the comment.

The short answer is hopefully yes if the verbal invites I have are confirmed....But I don't want to say more 'till they are confirmed....

Mudmagnet has kindly invited Creedyford to Barnstaple's show next July if thats closer to you?

I always wanted Penhallick to be dual era & I have most of the stock necessary to do it, so it should'nt be too expensive.....Just a lot of weathering to do....

& my couplings to fit!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi Reece

Thanks for posting those great pics.....Far better than mine!!!

It was good to catch up with you again & nice to be able to have time to chat properly.....

To explain me lieing on the floor......

It was a tiring day ,but.....

One of the layout owners had noticed my shuttle & had asked in great detail how it worked etc.

I spent some time explaining how simple it was & that it was a Gaugemaster one.....

Later on he came back & asked which one it was(they do two I think).

So I volunteered to find out by going under the layout to find out.....

'trouble was I couldn't find it at first...I knew it was there 'cos it was working.....

Anyway,I found it in the end.....It's an SS1 by the way.....

Thanks again for the pics....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi Bill,

It was good to meet you at Wadebridge during the weekend and see Penhallick Junction in action, though I didn't find nearly as much time as I'd have liked to study other layouts at the show.

Having started with the finished product, it has been very interesting looking back through time a

to see how your layout progressed.

Peter

Edited by Piskey

Well the curse of stand 13 struck again.......

Oh dear, sorry about that - as the person responsible for the floor plan (though nothing else at the exhibition, other than my own layout) may I offer my humble apologies....?

The reason you had to turn through 180° was you'd have had the back of the layout facing the public. Now this might be an interesting move for all those like me who are as much interested in what goes on behind the scenes as the scenes themselves - I'm always being caught out peering round at people's fiddle yards!

Peter

• Like 1

Oh dear, sorry about that - as the person responsible for the floor plan (though nothing else at the exhibition, other than my own layout) may I offer my humble apologies....?

The reason you had to turn through 180° was you'd have had the back of the layout facing the public. Now this might be an interesting move for all those like me who are as much interested in what goes on behind the scenes as the scenes themselves - I'm always being caught out peering round at people's fiddle yards!

Peter

Hi Peter

It was good to meet up with you & see your cracking layout.

Very impressive.....

I've always found it a problem finding time to have a good lookround 'cos even if you have a helper I like to'oversee'things & be around to answer the punters questions

No apology necessary regarding the floor plan.....

The 'problem' was caused by your coleague who misunderstood the plan & sorted by the one who spotted the error before any harm was done.....

It wasn't a problem at all.....

Thanks for your comment regarding the layout.....I'm glad you found it interesting following the start to finish approach.....I must admit I like to keep a record of my progress in case I forget how things were.....

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

Glad you had a good weekend and the photos are looking fantastic.

Hope you fill better after that sleep under the layout :nono:

RAY70B

Hi Ray

Thanks for the comment....

The weekend was very enjoyable......

Not very comfortable under the layout....Should have brought a mattress....

Cheers Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a quick flick through the thread and the best words to describe it are, 'great attention to detail' and fantatsic layout'. I still have to go through Largin'ish and Creedyford threads. If this layout is anything to go by, the next two should be just as good. Great work.

Cheers, Gary.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the above comment....much appreciated...

I have certainly tried to model what I've seen as I feel it adds to the realism.....

Creedyford still has a lot to be done to it......As does Largin'ish

Been busy on other things recently ,but hope to get on with Creedyforg soon....

Cheers Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi Lewis

They are a homemade version which is basically a wire loop at one end & a pivoting wire hook at the other.....

If you like I'll try to do a couple of pics of them in close up in the next day or to as it's far easier to describe in pictures & words than words alone....

Cheers Bill

Hi Lewis

Sorry not to get back to you before but had a busy weekend with very little modelling time......

Anyway,first a picture of the constituent parts....

post-7844-0-56596800-1389650282_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is made up principally of a bent hook at one end going to a small loop at the other end.....The wire between the hook & loop has a small length of brass tube soldered to it at right angles ( shown here soldered to the U shaped dropper  ) to provide a pivot . The 'dropper' ,the U section of brass wire shown starts off as a piece of wire in an L shape,which is passed through the tube  & is bent to a U shape then trimmed back.....Obviously it isn't possible to pass the U shape through the tube......

The U shaped dropper is fixed to the underframe by drilling fine holes in the floor/underframe of the wagon & superglueing in place.

A piece of steel wire is used for the magnetic attraction.....A staple or similar is fine though I tend to use the split pins from Smiths couplings....I've loads of them & they work.....This is attached to the loop at the other end.

I leave the magnetic dropper free to move though it can be fixed if you find it works better for you....

I like to be able to shunt with wagons being buffer to buffer....not a false gap....so it is important to site the inner part of the hook so that it is set just behind an imaginary line drawn between the buffer heads......The loop on the other wagon must also be set similarly.....

It is also important to make sure that the hook cannot go past vertical.....it won't drop back to horizontal otherwise!!!!

Also dont make the magnetic dropper end too heavy or you can get a situation where the hook bounces up & uncouples !!!

post-7844-0-18352100-1389651623_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-37935700-1389651647_thumb.jpg

I have als found that it seems important to make sure the polarity of the magnets under the track are all aligned the same way.....after a while the dropper on the wagons becomes partially magnetised & as like poles repel  the magnetic dropper is not pulled down to uncouple!!!!!!

I hope this is of help, but if you've any further questions feel free to ask...

Incidentally,these couplings are based on a design that I saw made By Nick Swettenham of the Bodmin Model Railway Club many years ago & although now completely different to his design the principle is his idea.

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

Love your couplings. 

Keep up the good work Bill.

Hi Ray

Thanks for the above.....

I shall certainly try to keep up the good work.....Whether I succeed or not is another matter

Cheers Bill

Hello Bill,

Thanks for posting the images and description. Looks like they require extra work per wagon/loco however they look far better than the NEMs. I will have a go at making a couple when I get time to.

Regards

Lewis

Hi Lewis

They do take a bit of extra work ,but in my opinion are nowhere as obtrusive as either tension lock or Kadees.....

I normally blacken them with permanent marker to 'hide' them further.

I know some people swear by them but I've found Kadees difficult to couple sometimes whilst shunting, & with NEM pocket heights being variable & sometimes sloppy they also need some adaptation.....I do use Kadees in fixed rakes of coaches,DMU's etc where once the height etc is set they are easier to couple/uncouple especially in an exhibition environment.....For wagons I still tend to use instanters for fixed rakes with the above design used on the ends of rakes or on both ends of wagons that are used for shunting....

What I didn't say in the above is that to stop the hook dropping too low I either bend the end of the coupling that is under the wagon up a bit so that it hits the underfloor ,or glue a stopper to the floor so that a consistent level is set......

Once in position it is easy to make minor adjustments to ensure the correct height.....

I have also made a height gauge which sits on the track so all couplings can be height tested.....A simple block with groove filed in it to sit squarely on the track & a piece of less flexible wire bent to a loop is fine.

I set the height  so that standard tension locks will couple.....Then can run mixed rakes or your NEW purchase before you've had time to change the couplings.

I shall look forward to see how you get on.....

Cheers Bill

PS  As above any further questions/pictures don't hesitate to ask

Bill

Incidentally,these couplings are based on a design that I saw made By Nick Swettenham of the Bodmin Model Railway Club many years ago & although now completely different to his design the principle is his idea.

Cheers Bill

Yeah, these were couplings Nick and I both started using back then on the Bodmin club layout, Trehayne, they were from an Iain Rice book called 'detailing and improving rtr wagons' looks like it is still available and a very good read!!

Your development looks similar to the way i changed them as well, using the tube instead of the original way of coiling the wire to make the tube for the pivot. They are pretty reliable as well aren't they. I do not use them anymopre now that I model

in N gauge, way too small for these although i did try!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

Hu Simon

I had forgotten that you also used these type of coupling & certainly was not aware of the origional inspiration....So belated acknowledgement to both you & Ian Rice.....

Yes I have found when set up properly they are very reliable & quite robust......I would agree that they might be a bit fiddly in N gauge

Cheers Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Not much to report regarding major developments to the layout.....

However readers of my Creedyford thread will see that I have been building a transport box for that layouts traverser.......

The reason that I am adding this post is that I am planning to make Penhallick Junction into a 'Dual Purpose' layout....ie it can be an end to end as it now is or be made into a roundy roundy with the addition of Creedyfords traverser.....More anon once I've got Penhallick down off it's storage shelf after the end of April when Creedyford has been to Helston........

I've also been collecting stock so it could be shown in different eras......Current.....2000 plus or sectorisation........At a pinch '80's

On a down side Penhallick Junction's only outing this year is at a show in Lostwithiel.......More details to follow........

Sadly two verbal invites don't seem to have come to fruition......

I only know by looking on the Model Railway show & events website where the shows are advertised & the layout is not listed amongst the exhibits......

One is quite a major show as well where I had hoped that further invites might follow......

Ah well........such is life.....Am I bitter?????......

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

Not much to report regarding major developments to the layout.....

However readers of my Creedyford thread will see that I have been building a transport box for that layouts traverser.......

The reason that I am adding this post is that I am planning to make Penhallick Junction into a 'Dual Purpose' layout....ie it can be an end to end as it now is or be made into a roundy roundy with the addition of Creedyfords traverser.....More anon once I've got Penhallick down off it's storage shelf after the end of April when Creedyford has been to Helston........

I've also been collecting stock so it could be shown in different eras......Current.....2000 plus or sectorisation........At a pinch '80's

On a down side Penhallick Junction's only outing this year is at a show in Lostwithiel.......More details to follow........

Sadly two verbal invites don't seem to have come to fruition......

I only know by looking on the Model Railway show & events website where the shows are advertised & the layout is not listed amongst the exhibits......

One is quite a major show as well where I had hoped that further invites might follow......

Ah well........such is life.....Am I bitter?????......

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

The fiddle yard idea should work quite well, more potential to run more trains! Think of all those clay hoods and Class 25s you could store and run!

I think Pehallick junction should be extended with further sidings ;) and along the old Penhallick branch to say Penhallick drys and Penhallick imperial kilns then down to Penhallick tunnel and further on to Penhallick sidings... Penhallick could be a large area to cover!

Along the main running line it could be extended to Penhallick platform with Penhallick crossing ;)

(sort of just made that up)

Cheers, Reece

• Like 2

Hi Reece

Not such a silly idea as it happens.......

It would certainly look good with a single track clay branch wending it's way by a stream to a small works somewhere!!!!!!

The only flaw is that I couldn't get it into my Landrover to transport it

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Just a a brief update......

Nothing much has been done to Penhallick Junction recently as I have been concentrating on Creedyford.

Sadly I have had to pull out of Penhallick.s only remaining invite this year.....

SWMBO has to go in to hospital for a major operation on June 19th so the show at Lostwithiel on the 21st has had to be knocked on the head....

Not a good year really for the layout as two invites have come to nothing & I've had to cancel the other.......

Anyway next year I have one definite & one provisional invite in it's new roundy roundy format which will also prompt a change of era to sectorisation as an option......

This means that longer trains can be run plus the works & the branch will be able to be operate independently which will increase operator & viewer enjoyment hopefully....

Updates to follow

Cheers Bill

• Like 3