Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Was good to see Penhalick Jct and yourself at Exeter on Saturday Bill.

Looking forward to seeing Creedyford in Plymouth at the end of the month.

E

Looking forward to bring there.....The way time flies these says it will be time to pack everything up before you know it.....

Cheers Bill

Good to see you both and the layout yesterday!

Hi

Long time no see......

Great to see you again & really pleased retirement suits.......

Jealous ? Me ??????

See you again soon hopefully

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well all back safely from Exeter.......

Had a great time.....The Exeter Mob made us most welcome........

Nothing too much trouble.....THANKS....REALLY APPRECIATED......

We made good time getting there......Set up no problem.....Trial run of all the sections.....Two dead spots!!!!!!!Grrrrrr

By a process of elimination we found it was caused by a dry solder joint on the section switch I'd rewired in on the slurry loading siding.......

Then the point at the country end decided that both point blades would come adrift at the same time!!!!!!

Put the control panel back on.......The point motors wouldn't work!?!?!?!?

By this time we had to vacate the hall.....

Up bright & early the next morning the point problem was sorted within 10 mins......One of the wires supplying power to the motors had come adrift when we were messing about with the control panel....One point didn't work but we switched the power off changed it manually a couple of times & it worked fine......

Resoldered the point blades.....Sorted.....

Stock on layout & it ran faultlessly all day .The only slight problem was the humidity caused the traverser bed to catch on the runners......Put itself right overnight & didn't repeat on Sunday......I have the same problem at Hayle when the tide is in & humidity increases.....

A good night was had on Saturday & we had a bit of a lie in......Cleaned wheels & track set to go at 10 am......When two things happened......The point motor that we'd had problems with stopped working again.....No power getting to it.....& randomly trains started changing direction in mid move.....

The point problem was simple......We just ran trains in to the yard from the other end......Oddly enough by the end of the day when every thing had warmed up the motor started working again so it is probably a poor solder joint broken while we were messing with the control panel......

The random change of direction was also simple after I'd wired in another controller that didn't make any difference to performance......

The Shuttle switch had been put on by mistake so it was taking over control of movements!!!!!!

Again no further problems all day.......

Apart from operator error !!!!!!! 

A couple of pics.

We were so busy that we didn't have time to take many.......Indeed we spent hardly any time away from the layout so that we could try &  keep the paying public entertained.......

General view of front & back of layout......Note the new layout name sign!!!!

post-7844-0-65987500-1433188471_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-96809100-1433188519_thumb.jpg

Followed by a few of a couple of debutants.....

post-7844-0-20824200-1433189586_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-95630000-1433189618_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-64891100-1433189667_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-78707800-1433189698_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-43453100-1433189761_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-80463800-1433189798_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-39305000-1433189555_thumb.jpg

The fire was a great success.....The kids loved it......And so did the adults as when I was talking about it to someone I said ...The kids love it, to which a lady piped up & said, so do the grown ups.....Which made it all worthwhile.....

The other thing that went down well with the kids was running current FGW stock......

A common comment from kid/parent......Oh we've been on that one to Dawlish or wherever.....

They could relate to the layout.....

& if running 143 ,150 ,153 & 57 in FGW livery to order for the kids is fine by me as if one of them joins the hobby it is worth it!!!!!

Any way....We had a great time......Would have liked to see more of the show but we are there to entertain the paying public & the layout needs to be running to do that....

3 probable & 1 possible invites so definitely worth it.....

Really nice to meet up with some RMWebbers & Nate's attention span was brilliant.....Nice to meet him......

Well that was a warts & all resume but I sort of use this as a diary as I shall forget otherwise....

Last but not least a big thankyou to my son for his help over the weekend......Most appreciated......

Cheers Bill

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Bill, thanks for namechecking Nate! He certainly identified with the FGW trains, he also likes the current Cross Country livery so I couldn't really persuade him that the Virgin Voyager was the same train. Unfortunately he was most taken by an N gauge continental layout with trams & underground station so I had trouble getting him to come back for another look!

Glad you had a good show anyway, hope to see you again sometime.... 

• Like 2

Shame i couldnt come and see the layout in the flesh as i would have loved to but the fgw class 143 looks great in those shots especially between the bushes / shrubs next to the semaphore signal! Great Work!

Bill, thanks for namechecking Nate! He certainly identified with the FGW trains, he also likes the current Cross Country livery so I couldn't really persuade him that the Virgin Voyager was the same train. Unfortunately he was most taken by an N gauge continental layout with trams & underground station so I had trouble getting him to come back for another look!

Glad you had a good show anyway, hope to see you again sometime.... 

Hi Rich

It was good to catch up with you again & great to meet Nate.....

The most important thing in my opinion is that he ( & other kids of his age & older ) ENJOY themselves at a show.....

If continental is his thing....So be it......It probably got his imagination going seeing something completely different......

For a while my so aged about 14 was only into oo9 narrow gauge & now look at him.....

Although the current FGW livery is not quite in era we run them at times specially for the kids as they can relate to them......

Their parents seem to appreciate it......We enjoy the joyful reaction of the kids & rivet counters can look away.....

Look forward to catching up with you & Nate again sometime

Cheers Bill

Shame i couldnt come and see the layout in the flesh as i would have loved to but the fgw class 143 looks great in those shots especially between the bushes / shrubs next to the semaphore signal! Great Work!

Hi

Thanks for the above post.....Greatly appreciated......

My son took those photo's & yes I agree with you that the 143 looks the part especially in those shots......It also runs very well........

I bought it last weekend, ran it in to Penmouth (my sons layout at Hayle last week) & back out again once......It then ran as required all weekend beautifully without being run in with no problems at all......Not cheap but very pleased with it.....

Hopefully a future invite will bring the layout to somewhere near you in the future......

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

Just a brief update before I get Creedyford down in preparation for Plymouth......

Found out why the mainline point was playing up.......

When we got to Exeter the one of the covers of one of the computer 36 pin plugs had fallen off.....Still not found it !!!!!!

Well one of the pins must be making poor contact as if moved in a certain way the point stops working.......Waggle it & it's fine......

Trouble is I've not got another cover so will have to buy one.......I resoldered the wires to the plug but that makes no difference......If I can't get another cover I can always bypass the plug......

One of the point blades on the middle board had come adrift in transit.....soldered it back together.......

Also the point under the bridge had got lifted up when dismantling & the pin driving the tiebar was out of it's hole.....Again easily sorted......

The other job was to provide another Din socket to plug in the controller that runs the main line.......

We found at Exeter that we were in each others way all the time as the two sockets are only 6ins or so apart on the main board......

Not a problem before as all the main controller did was drive the shuttle unit.....Now it is used to drive trains......

I was going to fit it on the traverser but I decided that it was far enough out of the way fixed to the end of the country board....So that's what I did.....

The work on adjusting the running of the traverser is relevant for Creedyford as well so hopefully I'll get that done next week......

Next outing for Penhallick is July 4th at Carn Brea leisure centre.....Hopefully see you there.....

• Like 2

Hi All

Well Penhallick Junction is now at rest on the top shelves of my railway room where Creedyford was......

'Trouble is that now I've fitted legs to the end baseboards it don't fit properly!!!!!!!

The backscene is slightly taller..........TISH!!!!!!

So I shall have to lower the shelving.....

It is a system of brackets on metal struts.....

Not a problem except for the amount of C*** I've got to move from the lower shelves.....

Still it will be down again in a fortnight as it will be strutting it's stuff at the Carn Brea Leisure centre Redruth......Then at Hayle in '90's guise with lots of 37's over the August bank holiday.....

Took the opportunity to Hoover up the floor & dust a bit & put the empty stock boxes in the attic....Amazing how much better the room looks.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

Well Penhallick Junction is now at rest on the top shelves of my railway room where Creedyford was......

'Trouble is that now I've fitted legs to the end baseboards it don't fit properly!!!!!!!

The backscene is slightly taller..........TISH!!!!!!

So I shall have to lower the shelving.....

It is a system of brackets on metal struts.....

Not a problem except for the amount of C*** I've got to move from the lower shelves.....

Still it will be down again in a fortnight as it will be strutting it's stuff at the Carn Brea Leisure centre Redruth......Then at Hayle in '90's guise with lots of 37's over the August bank holiday.....

Took the opportunity to Hoover up the floor & dust a bit & put the empty stock boxes in the attic....Amazing how much better the room looks.....

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill,

I look forward to visiting Penhallick Junction at the Carn Brea Show and inspecting this fire which has been started in the lineside.  

I understand it's a new one day show for 2015 I gather?  

I'd like to think you'll get an invitation for the COG show at the same location later this year. A show which myself and my little layout should be attending once again... to gain another metal plaque for West Fraddon!

Cheers, Reece

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Well Creedyford is out playing at Plymouth this Saturday but on it's return Penhallick Junction will be set up to ready it for the Carn Brea show the following Saturday.....

Looking forward to that......The show is only a couple of hundred yards away as the crow flies.......

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

Well Penhallick Junction is all safely loaded into the Landrover for it's mile or so drive to the Carn Brea show tomorrow.......

Looking forward to it & hopefully will be a good show.......If you're there be sure to say hello.......

Am on my own again so may not have time for any pics.......

At least if I've forgotten anything it's not far to go home to fetch it.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Hi All

Well show over & all safely back in the railway room.......

A good day with no real problems.......

A big thankyou to Brian & the team for putting on a most enjoyable show......

Hopefully it was successful for them as it was enjoyable by me.....

A couple of things to sort before the layout's next outing at Hayle....

First the track that runs in to the works end needs relaying again as there is still a dip which causes uncoupling of stock......

Secondly the exit to road three needs realigning as it caused derailments to one of the CDA's.......

All else ran well......

Oddly the smoke generator didn't work 'till about 1ish then was fine giving out loads of smoke.......

Fortunately the flickering fire effect worked so the early punters seemed quite happy with the effect.......

Lots of questions.....Mainly about the couplings & how they were made/worked......

Got two invites.....Details to follow when confirmed.......

As I was on my own no chance to lookround the show & only a couple of chances to take 'snaps' rather than decent pictures.....

So here they are.......

The resprayed Sentinel 'Cassie' made her debut.....Mainly as a static loco......

She runs well on level track but due to the rough nature of the yard she'll need a runner to get a better power pick up.....As an 0-4-0 any bumps cause a hiccup in power collection.....

post-7844-0-09601800-1436040804_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-84558000-1436040828_thumb.jpg

37668 was covering for a failed '66.....To be fair to the '66 the problem was in the dip in a track joint on the curved section which when levelled wasn't a problem......#

post-7844-0-61668100-1436041284_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-72183100-1436041311_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-91830800-1436041337_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-41977400-1436041366_thumb.jpg

And finally the cement tanks .....

A Freightliner '66 on these.....This is only the second time this train has run......

On Deviock Dock the wagons used to derail for a pastime so was never run.......

Today ran faultlessly.....

post-7844-0-99263900-1436041672_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-55441800-1436041706_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-75301400-1436041391_thumb.jpg

Well that's all for the moment......

Next task is to ready the layout for Hayle show where it will be back dated to early '90's sectorisation.....

Watch this space

Cheers Bill

• Like 9

Hi Bill

Glade you had a good day at Carn Brea. The layout is looking great.  Will see you at Hayle in August.

Hi Ray

Thanks for the above.....

Look forward to seeing  you there....

Cheers Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Just a quick update.......

Many moons ago I produced a couple of wagon 'conversions' which will make their debut at Hayle & probably also run on Creedyford.......

These were done 15 to 20 years ago & have never really run on any thing.

All painting & lettering was hand done....No transfers or spray gun!!!!!!!

The idea is that they will run with the DC Kits Plasser & Theurer 12 travelling crane that I bought ages ago & started to build months ago.....

Anyway  few pics....

This picture was taken at Exeter Riverside yard.....

post-7844-0-62857600-1437937898_thumb.jpg

& my attempt to model it using a (I think Parkside Dundas kit).....

I had originally used Lima wheels so had to remove & refix the solebar s I could fit 3 hole Romford wheels....

post-7844-0-23740400-1437938128_thumb.jpg

I also replaced the buffers with MJT whitemetal ones & added a tiebar between the W irons

post-7844-0-09306100-1437938208_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-00407800-1437938243_thumb.jpg

The Toad was pictured at Lostwithiel & StBlazey.....

post-7844-0-79214300-1437939262_thumb.jpg

This I also rewheeled using Romfords to replace the original Airfix ones.....

With reference to the photo's I didn't get the paint scheme right..... But HEY HO!!!!

post-7844-0-30445000-1437939191_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-74141500-1437939466_thumb.jpg

& finally one of the two of them coupled together.....

post-7844-0-05051000-1437939549_thumb.jpg

I added my autocouplings & the next job is to make sure they run round the layout OK.....

Next job is to finish off the crane......

Cheers Bill

• Like 8

Hi  All

Just a brief post.....

Having had a few issues with my current hand held controllers I  saw an auction on Ebay for a KPC Kentrol Feedback controller.....

I'd heard great things about KPC products & had wondered about feedback controllers.

Any way wired it up & first impressions are very good........

Seems a lot harder to stall the loco when shunting & the slow speed seems more controllable......

A bit noisier but in an exhibition environment won't be heard.....

The idea is to use it in the yard with an ordinary model W walkabout for the main as the trains will just be running through so fine control is not an issue.....

I shall give it a good test over the next week or so & it will debut at Hayle at the end of August......

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  All

Been a while since I've updated but that's due to various things.....Mainly changing jobs which was not as straightforward as anticipated.....

However have now started but not in the post I was offered but due to the delay a better & more interesting one though the hours aren't as regular......

Anyway now into week 2 & learning fast......Meant to be part time but with overtime the week is as long as before but working in much better conditions & with a nice bunch of people so all is good.....

However modelling had to take a back seat for a while.....

Hayle show on August bank holiday weekend.....Panic.......Hmmmmmm.....

Any way one thing about the new job is that I can no longer cycle to work......Well I could but 10miles each way in all weathers sometimes starting at 7am or finishing at 10pm isn't an option for me at my age.......Bearing in mind my new job is quite physical as it is.....

So bought a van.....A Citroen Berlingo.....

Did a few measurements before I bought it & seemed good as far as the layout was concerned......

The real bonus is that I can fit everything in the back.....EVEN the TRAVERSER......

So no need for the roof box which is good for both mpg & loading.....

Also the boards will go in lengthways which will be easier to load......

So a day or two fitting rails to support removable shelving & we're ready to go.....

Today was my only day off this week & I had planned to use it to adapt the traverser but as not necessary I instead adjusted the lighting pelmet supports so that rather than bolting to the uprights it now just drops on to the uprights for both Penhallick Junction & Creedyford.....

Will save a lot of time at shows both setting up & taking down.....

Next job will be wheel cleaning & intensive running as it will be shown as '90's sectorisation era & not all the stock has run on the layout before......

The advantage of late shifts when you don't want to get started on a project you can't finish.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 4