Penhallick Junction

treggyman

Hi All

The corner boards are all but finished & have been installed,track laid & test train run......

All that needs doing is a plastic retaining strip on the edges to stop any derailed stock falling to the floor......

Hopefully get that done tomorrow.....

First off power on .....NOTHING MOVED.....Had forgotten to put a slit in one of the copperclad sleepers.......

Easily sorted......All ran fine then.....

50013 Agincourt had the honour of track testing.......

Ran fine both ways......

Then attached 8 Silver bullets......

Again ran fine both ways.....

Tomorrow I hope to run Agincourt in while fitting the plastic retaining strips.......

Then I shall take the layout apart & put it up the other way round.......

This will serve two purposes : Firstly it will be like taking it apart & setting up for a show.....

It will test whether the boards need adjustment or not.

Secondly I will actually be able to get in front of the layout & see it......

as at the moment the front is flush up against the wall so not able to take any decent pics.....

Any way a few pics of the 'corner' boards.......

post-7844-0-74162300-1419713920_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-20151800-1419713944_thumb.jpg

Then the join at the works end.....

post-7844-0-98492900-1419714011_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-28261500-1419714037_thumb.jpg

This shows the connection to the Traverser via the corner board but that the branch will use cassettes.....

The the country end.....

post-7844-0-74108900-1419714152_thumb.jpg

& finally a couple of the 'bullets'....

post-7844-0-05973200-1419714210_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-46356900-1419714233_thumb.jpg

Well that's all for now....

Hopefully better pics tomorrow.....

Cheers Bill

Edit....For some reason only half the post got sent & none of the pics !!!!!

Edited by treggyman
  • Like 6

Hi All

Layout taken down & put back up other way round.......

It fits......but I can only just get in the door......

Also fitted the outer strip on the corner boards.....

Only had enough plastic strip to do one side & I figured any derailments are more likely to fall off outside than in....

The layout is now about 9inches wider......

Only leaves just over 2ft in front of the layout for viewing!!!!!

Doesn't sound a lot but means that the door can't swing as much & as it's at an angle it makes access more difficult....

The upside is that is much easier to move around inside the layout.....

Did consider making a new set of end boards but I think I'll leave that for the time being......

All bar one board joint is fine.....

The one where there are two tracks however appears to be slightly twisted so doesn't quite line up.....

Shouldn't be too difficult to resolve....

I knew the floor wasn't level.....It's an old cottage & the beams have sagged in the middle a bit over the years.......

I don't normally bother at home but this time I actually used spacers to level everything out.......

Took ages to do & I think that's where the joint problem stems from......

Anyway plan to sort out the joint , wire it up as I haven't got the plugs/sockets yet & then play trains.....

Hopefully add a few pics tomorrow

Cheers Bill

• Like 3

Hi Richard

The bits that I had to remove to allow me to add the roundy roundy boards came off in one piece so it wouldn't be that difficult to reattach them.....

Indeed I could probably with a bit of thought make them a straight 'clip fit' replacement......

The purpose of the roundy roundy however is so that I can run longer trains & store more trains more safely in the Traverser fiddle area...

This hopefully will give more variety to the paying public & make the layout easier to operate.....

I never had an accident with the cassettes but picking up a cassette with loco & several expensive wagons on it when ones co operator could easily accidentally nudge you always was a concern......

Following your comment above I think I shall pursue a method of being able to refit the original cassette bases so it gives more flexibility if space were to be an issue at an exhibition.......But not today!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi Damian

The short answer is I don't know.......

In those days I was based in Plymouth workwise sometimes being out on the road & if I had a chance with an hour or so to kill I would wait at Lostwithiel or wherever & see what turned up....

Oddly I never saw a train at Par at that time any time I went there.....Passenger or freight !!!!!!!!!

Sadly I had no real knowledge of the clay workings at that time & no contacts but If I had a camera I took pics & noted what I'd seen & if Rail magazine had any comments put 2 & 2 together to sometimes get seven & sometimes four......

Anyway on this day nothing seemed to be happening.....It was early PM & some chap with a camera said....Ajax is on it's way with a clay train......

Seems odd now but I almost didn't bother waiting.......

Saw lots of '50's around Plymouth but because he'd bothered to tell me of the working I hung around.......

Ajax had been in the area on clay that week....I've got a cutting of her from Rail magazine on the 17th Sept on CDA's ex Parkindillack to Fowey....I can copy it to you if you wish....

So whether she was covering a failure or it was a timetabled working I don't know........

Anyway through she flew with 6 bullets (1 blue & 5 silver & a PGA on the back)

One can only assume a trip to either Tavistock Junction yard or Exeter Riverside.....

attachicon.gifAjax at Lostwithiel 1990.resized.jpg

If Ajax is your favourite how come Indomitable? which is probably a stupid question but.......

Hope that helps

Chees Bill

Hi Bill,

I never answered that.

There's a photograph of me as a small (ish) lad next to 026, so that that is a kind of 'first recollection" however over the years as an enthusiast Ajax became a favourite, black roof kept large logo etc.

To be fair it probably depends on the weather, Temeraire was another cracker along with Formidable - all brilliant names.

• Like 3

Hi Bill,

I never answered that.

There's a photograph of me as a small (ish) lad next to 026, so that that is a kind of 'first recollection" however over the years as an enthusiast Ajax became a favourite, black roof kept large logo etc.

To be fair it probably depends on the weather, Temeraire was another cracker along with Formidable - all brilliant names.

Hi Damian

Pretty good reason that....

Also one of the last to be withdrawn June '92 I believe.....So more excuse to be able to run her.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

Hi All

Well the thorny question of the corner boards.....

The problem.....

post-7844-0-54880300-1419890450_thumb.jpg

Now at a exhibition provided the space has been allocated not a problem.......

However when I can hardly get in my Railway room ......NOT ON....

So.....Having slept on it with no obvious answer a quick glance in the morning gave the solution......

I originally thought chop 3ins off each corner board where thy join in the middle  but I figured that I could get away with 4ins so that's how I went......

post-7844-0-03055000-1419891355_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-69342500-1419889708_thumb.jpg

I unfixed ??? the track , trimmed the plastic 'retaining' strip,cut 4ins off each corner board where they joined in the middle & hey presto....

I can now ...just ...open the door fully & get in to the room easily....JUST....

post-7844-0-87288100-1419890048_thumb.jpg

Well a worthwhile job done.....

Agincourt did the honours with the first run....

The beauty!?!?! of Hornby locos & stock is that in my opinion if there's a problem in homemade trackwork they'll find any problem......

Only a couple of minor adjustments & all ran great.....

Next up a full working session........& finish off the blue slurry tanks & then.....

The list is endlesss....

Anyway that's all for now.....

Cheers Bill                      

• Like 6

It is certainly lookng a bit tight in there

but you can get in.....

Hi Mickey

I can now with relative ease.....

However when I first set up before I trimmed the corner boards I wondered if I would actually be able to get out!!!!!!!

Was only just possible....

Cheers Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi All

The first post on this thread this year!!!!!!!

Have being doing odds & ends but other things have taken precedence.....

I've finally got round to finishing the blue slurry ranks.....How many months has that taken??????

Anyway a few pictures.....

post-7844-0-83419200-1427657827_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-31243300-1427657860_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-26766800-1427657890_thumb.jpg

A pic of the original taken at StBlazey....

post-7844-0-87128600-1427658030_thumb.jpg

I changed the handwheel & hacked off some of the chassis , moved the information panel & added transfers.....

I also made a new set of handrails for the balcony end & made & attached a hand wheel which I assume was use for slurry discharge purposes........

post-7844-0-92678800-1427658695_thumb.jpg

A couple of pics of the Caledonian paper version.....

post-7844-0-43375000-1427659468_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-55205200-1427659496_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-13803600-1427659522_thumb.jpg

They are not 100% accurate models but I feel they give a flavour of the real thing......Certainly took long enough to finish.....

Jut a bit of weathering & they're done......

I have also made a bit of progress on the Sentinel shunter I bought last year.....

I have given it a coat of paint & changed the handrails along the long bonnet......

As far as I can see the ones I have pictures of have rails rather than a solid sheet along the side.......

The original model was of the red one modelled on the loco based at Plymouth......

A pic of it taken on Creedyford at last years Barnstaple show where I bought it.....

post-7844-0-21214900-1427659339_thumb.jpg

& as it is now,,,,,

post-7844-0-83649000-1427658805_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-06471000-1427658945_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-53127700-1427658976_thumb.jpg

It needs a name & my autocouplings adding & should then be ready for action......

I've looked at Modelmasters range of private owner nameplates but can't find what I am looking for.....Fox don't do a suitable name.....

Any other sources ?

Well that's all for now

Cheers Bill

• Like 12

Bill,

You could try Narrow Planet for the nameplates - made to order etches to suit your needs.

The Shunter looks a great transformation.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the suggestion.....Will give them a go.....

I assume they're on the 'web....

Cheers Bill

Been a while since your last posting but I'm sure you had to drive your landrover across miles of mouldy rice pudding, push it up a couple of sand dunes and navigate a deep potholed road before making your way to a tall ice cold cool and refreshing beverage before posting an update on RMweb. Some fantastic modelling there Bill.   :good:  :sungum: Definitely worth waiting for!

The Sentinel looks really good in ECC Blue, and the Blue bullets are very nicely done. I look forward to seeing them in person. 
In regards to nameplates I've recently seen some custom name plates in 4mm made by 'Narrow Planet' one of the younger dudes from the BWR had some made up for one of his Class 57 locos, they look quite nice in my opinion. They might be worth a look I think he said they were £4 - £5 a pair. http://narrowplanet.co.uk/products

Cheers, RSLR aka Reece

• Like 1

Been a while since your last posting but I'm sure you had to drive your landrover across miles of mouldy rice pudding, push it up a couple of sand dunes and navigate a deep potholed road before making your way to a tall ice cold cool and refreshing beverage before posting an update on RMweb. Some fantastic modelling there Bill.   :good:  :sungum: Definitely worth waiting for!

The Sentinel looks really good in ECC Blue, and the Blue bullets are very nicely done. I look forward to seeing them in person. 

In regards to nameplates I've recently seen some custom name plates in 4mm made by 'Narrow Planet' one of the younger dudes from the BWR had some made up for one of his Class 57 locos, they look quite nice in my opinion. They might be worth a look I think he said they were £4 - £5 a pair. http://narrowplanet.co.uk/products

Cheers, RSLR aka Reece

Hi Reece,

Yes it's been a while,but that's the way it goes sometimes......

I'm sure we'll catch up with each other at a local show sometime soon.

Penhallick Junctions next outing is to Exeter followed by the show at Carn Brea leisure centre

Bill,

Ples see link - http://narrowplanet.co.uk

Cheers.

Ian

I'm pleased with how the Sentinel is turning out,& thanks to you & Fairburn (Ian) for posting the link to Narrow Planet......

Plates all ordered ,so now we'll see how they turn out when they arrive....

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

More top work!!

Luv all your grass scenery...

Hi class 66

Thanks for the comment....

I must admit I like that corner of the layout scenically & have considered that when the time comes when the layout is past it's sell by date adapting that part as a photo plank.....

There are some nice views to be had through the trees as well as a couple of nice cameos......Another one on it's way soon if I can get my act together......Watch this space!!!!!!!

Cheers Bill

Worth the wait.

Brian.

Hi Brian

Thanks for your kind comment......

Just not had the time energy or Ooomph to get on so have made a commitment to spend a bit of time every day doing a little bit.....

It's surprising what can be done in 10mins or so & with achievement follows inspiration.....

Any way that's the theory so hopefully I shall progress...

Cheers Bill

Hi All

Well I've done a little bit over the last couple of evenings.....

Back on the 28th August 2012 my son grandson & I did a trip from Camborne to Newquay & back......

We took lots of pics but among the ones I took were of the remains of the Token Exchange catcher at Goonbarrow Junction.......

I don't know when it was last used but apart from the catching arm & the sighting lamp on the second post the whole thing was in relatively good nick.....

The mesh seems to be made of blue nylon so can't be that old I wouldn't have thought......

Anyway I bought the excellent Mainly Trains model......

Very good it is too......But......It is of a wooden post version & they say on their blurb that they were in use 'till approx 1965....

Well the one at Goonbarrow is definitely a steel tubular post variety......

So out with the brass tube,wire & trusty metal sieve mesh......

First a couple of pics of the real thing taken from the HST we were on......

post-7844-0-95606400-1427919023_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-10439900-1427919058_thumb.jpg

Then a couple of progress so far.....

post-7844-0-97956400-1427919256_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-55326700-1427919277_thumb.jpg

post-7844-0-37780100-1427919307_thumb.jpg

Although they would originally have been painted white tops & black bases from the real pics it looks more to be the current silver for the upper metalwork.....

Anyway, hopefully get them finished & planted over the weekend.....

Cheers for now

Bill

• Like 7