Hornby Class 31 Network Rail and MK2

smg201

• RMweb Premium

Good to see that they are trying - but the headlight saga is a farce.

The lights fitted are of the most recent version

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44685654@N06/5485954054/

Slightly earlier pic with a mix of rectangular and round

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheekymonkey56/5717645793/

And even earlier with all round lights on the top only

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob50037/2803951900/

The details at the other end are painted on - grey and orange boxes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rob50037/2830476651/

At least they give the location to stick bits on....................

Cheers,

Mick

The lights fitted are of the most recent version

http://www.flickr.co...N06/5485954054/

That's an impressive lighting array, even by American standards.

I'm guessing all this would only be used during track laying of other such work?

You could engage in some neat nighttime photographic activites with a model loco like this, fitted with five bright surface mount LEDS, you could really illuminate the model landscape!

• RMweb Premium

That's an impressive lighting array, even by American standards.

I'm guessing all this would only be used during track laying of other such work?

You could engage in some neat nighttime photographic activites with a model loco like this, fitted with five bright surface mount LEDS, you could really illuminate the model landscape!

31233 is often used with the Structure Gauging Train and only comes out to play at night............ RTOV 9708 is usually at the other end - it has a similar setup. When 233 carried the round floodlights, they were usually only fitted when working the SGT, although I have pics of it working the SGT without the lights carried and the mounting brackets really did stand out.

post-408-0-12061900-1315957110.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

you could renumber it to 31602 im buy 2 maybe 3 not sure, 31233/285 and 602, all have or had lights fitted! just hope there are more coachig stock coming out

Hi Rory,

285 and 602 do not have the extended (upturned) fan cowling. http://www.flickr.com/photos/28514828@N02/6046326649/

It can be removed and changed for an original though.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

Anyone else noticed that the lights are different on these class 31s. The ones that come with the model seem to be a diffrent spec to some that have been used on the other class 31 with large circle lights being used and often seen on photographs. Makes me think that not all class 31s have carried the light set up that comes with the model.... Crikey, this is almost rivit counter territory! :mosking:

In any case, Hornby should be applauded for doing any lights at all. It would have been more than fantastic that the lights also worked, via a setting on DCC but the fact that they are there is reason to celebrate. Indeed, it shows that Hornby are trying to get engines right, despite the debacle with the missing headlight, which in this case is now just unfortunate. I was merely just expecting a class 31 in yellow, without the extra details or embellishments. Hornby should be extremely pleased that these details have been included for this model, but also that it adds that extra detail for which Hornby can aspire to equal in the future. However, 31465 would be a model that could merely be renumbered if anyone wanted a second....

• RMweb Premium

Anyone else noticed that the lights are different on these class 31s. The ones that come with the model seem to be a diffrent spec to some that have been used on the other class 31 with large circle lights being used and often seen on photographs. Makes me think that not all class 31s have carried the light set up that comes with the model.... Crikey, this is almost rivit counter territory! :mosking:

Hi David - see post#26 for more details.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Yeah but been looking and seen that the renumbered class 31s the other person was asking about have also had mixed headlights or had different ones fitted at different times. Does 602 still have round ones now, as a kind of stand by SGT loco?

31233/285/602 are the "regular" SGT locos, . As only one is now used on the SGT, it's usually one of those. When it was top 'n' tailed, then almost any of the NR (and other available) 31 fleet were used.

Note that the lights are fitted at ONE end only.

I haven't looked for pics of 285/602 recently and don't know where they're up to with type of headlight.

Cheers,

Mick

Mines arrived from Hattons today, mixed bag. Well finished model with no blemishes on the paintwork. Out of the box it ran sweetly on Dynamis with a Bachmann chip and after about half an hour it became really squeaky. Lubricated the wheel spindles and the worm as per the instructions it was still squeaky. Oiled the fan mechanism parts and the squeaks were gone and back to lovely smooth quiet running. Maybe worth checking before you commit to detailing, weathering etc.

Have conveniently got a set of Replica Railways square headlights spare, will be fitting those probably when I chip it for DCC sound!

I got my superb Hornby Fragonset Class 31 out to run beside it, hard to believe when I got that one a couple of years ago I baulked at paying £79.23 from Macs Models in Helensburgh :D

Mines arrived from Hattons today, mixed bag. Well finished model with no blemishes on the paintwork. Out of the box it ran sweetly on Dynamis with a Bachmann chip and after about half an hour it became really squeaky. Lubricated the wheel spindles and the worm as per the instructions it was still squeaky. Oiled the fan mechanism parts and the squeaks were gone and back to lovely smooth quiet running. Maybe worth checking before you commit to detailing, weathering etc.

Have conveniently got a set of Replica Railways square headlights spare, will be fitting those probably when I chip it for DCC sound!

I got my superb Hornby Fragonset Class 31 out to run beside it, hard to believe when I got that one a couple of years ago I baulked at paying £79.23 from Macs Models in Helensburgh :D

I know, however £105 is equivalent to what my Brother-in-law spends over a weekend on booze so I can easily justify it. I too will put mine alongside the Fragonset one once it's detailed :no:

Just spoke to Hornby Customer Care, following up my email

It's not a "Known" problem and they'll get back to me if spares are to be issued.

I'm off to Shawplan.....

As Hornby have admitted it is a problem with the Regional Railways model but not the Network Rail version yet you could just say you have the Regi model to get the headlights from Hornby.

As Hornby have admitted it is a problem with the Regional Railways model but not the Network Rail version yet you could just say you have the Regi model to get the headlights from Hornby.

Hey Presto

Dear Mike,

Thank you for your email. I have been speaking with Hornby Marketing and the Engineering department. The lighting surround should have been with the model. We have placed an order for this spare, which will be pre-sprayed yellow. We hope to receive these within the next couple of months.

Once we receive the lighting surround I will be happy to send this spare out to you, which can be attached to the model with glue. If you feel that you will not be able to attach the spare with ease please send your locomotive to us and we will do the procedure for you. If you would like to attach the surround yourself please confirm your address and once we have received the spare I will get this sent out.

Kind Regards,

Sophie Dye

Customer Care

Hornby Hobbies Ltd

Well Ive been doing some homework.... and have checked out the following.

31233 does have the lights fitted as they have been delivered from Hornby

As does 31285, but this 31 does not have the roof clowling over the fan that 233 does so is not brilliant to renumber. Pics of this 31 can be seen here when it visited Bishop Auckland with the SGT.:

http://www.blackhatrailwaypictures.co.uk/p58390450

Meanwhile, 31602, also doesnt have the roof clowling over the fan, but as of even April this year, was still fitted with the circle lights for when working with the test train. A link (to a Mr Tom Curtis' website where I found a pic that helped is here: http://tomcurtisrailgallery.weebly.com/references.html and towards the end of the page.

Lastly, 31465, does not work the test train, but it does have a roof clowling. So renumbering that and not fitting the headlights would mean you could have a second yellow 31 for a test train. These roof lights could then be used to add to a DBSO model you might want to make in the future. Then youd have an accurate SGT if you wanted to fork out for all of that. Alternatively, you could use 31465 or another class 31, especially the Fragonset 31 which Hornby have modelled some years previously.

It does however make me think that Hornby are missing a trick. This 31 would have been better modelled as 31285, without the roof clowling and with lights. You could then model 31602 using exactly the same model and fittings but only need to renumber it - a relatively simple task. They did the same by making the Fragonset 31452 model with the side headlight, when most Fragonset 31s had the headlight in the lower area as depicted on these models. This would have meant that 31128, 31468, 31601, 31602 would all have been possible renumbers to do, and surely given most 31s run in pairs, more models would have been sold far quicker as a small yet reasonable percentage of modellers would have bought the pair. Thankfully, Hornby have not done this with the Regional machine, as from 31439, 31410 could be done easily... is this potential sales that Hornby are missing out on, or is it too much of me thinking people would have bought both?

I decided to go ahead and put Replica Railways Square headlights onto my 31233 tonight. I drilled a hole in the middle of the moulded light to allow the LED to shine through and then put one of the little plastic clear lenses thar Replica supplied onto the top of the light.

Looks good, but I forgot, the Replica Railways headlights are moulded in yellow plastic and it therefore becomes translucent when the loco lights are turned on! Note to others after drilling the hole paint the inside of it black and then paint the headlight in yellow! doh!!!

Archived