Hornby Class 31 Network Rail and MK2

smg201

Well I am a happy chappie. As the opening poster I clearly hinted I was slightly doubtful if I was going to enjoy my pre-order NR 31 (well the colour was my concern). I am most certainly impressed, the lighting is a very pleasant surprise. On that basis I have now pre-ordered the NMT :) I have lined the 31 upto my Model Rail MK2a and it is a match. Really impressed. I even emailed Hornby with some nice words and have agained begged for a few NR MK2d's to be announced at Christmas. Over 2700 readers are interested in the NR 31, surely that means Hornby are taking note ;)

For now I have finished my Generator Mk1 project, I have cut brass (and finger) to do the "fan" grills. But I am not 100% pleased, would anyone know of a better method I have over looked? Many thanks in advance.

post-10272-0-21802600-1316721896.jpg

• RMweb Premium

For now I have finished my Generator Mk1 project, I have cut brass (and finger) to do the "fan" grills. But I am not 100% pleased, would anyone know of a better method I have over looked? Many thanks in advance.

Use Evergreen 4031 Clapboard. Pic of grilles on one of my generator vans. 1 sheet will last for years!

post-408-0-96767900-1316729975.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Now the light has been sorted I'm really happy with this model !!

I may well pre-order the NMT now ??

At least Hornby made an effort with 31233. Will they do the same for the two middle vehicles for the NMT?

The pre-production artwork shows 977995 - which is the normal "spare" vehicle and 977996 which is the battery vehicle that accompanied the hybrid power car and had large modifications to the underframe mounted gear.

Cheers,

Mick

At least Hornby made an effort with 31233. Will they do the same for the two middle vehicles for the NMT?

The pre-production artwork shows 977995 - which is the normal "spare" vehicle and 977996 which is the battery vehicle that accompanied the hybrid power car and had large modifications to the underframe mounted gear.

Cheers,

Mick

They have arrived and are in stock somewhere in Liverpool - so we won't have long to find out - but the train was much longer than two coaches making Hornby's offering seem to be a bit short of what is needed... The actual configuration detailing the conversions can be found here...

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/HST

A new thread for this ought to be started as this seems to be inadvertantly hijacking this original class 31 topic...

Here's mine now I've added the Replica High intensity lights

Just the Screwlinks and buffer beam pipes to added and then maybe a little light weathering

post-7957-0-00620500-1316809230.jpg

Mike

i have to say you have done a good job and persuaded me to get one of these.

Does the replica high intesity light have a lense or can I assume its the original light ?

Edited: Found them on the replica site, seperate Lense..

Thanks

Mike

i have to say you have done a good job and persuaded me to get one of these.

Does the replica high intesity light have a lense or can I assume its the original light ?

Edited: Found them on the replica site, seperate Lense..

Thanks

Thanks Martin

She looks pretty good now with the Shawplan pipes on.

I just need to weather around the exhaust area

In the review of the NR Class 31 in the November edition of Model Rail, it says that their next Network Rail Limited Edition will be the NR Structure gauging Train Mk1 coach DB975280

Bound to sell out quick and appear on mass on Ebay, so get your pre orders in early!!!

• RMweb Premium

In the review of the NR Class 31 in the November edition of Model Rail, it says that their next Network Rail Limited Edition will be the NR Structure gauging Train Mk1 coach DB975280

It'll be interesting to see how this one is done. Here's mine.

post-408-0-79055500-1317995781_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-65062200-1317995798_thumb.jpg

I wonder if they'll do 975081/460000/99666/9708 to match? :derisive:

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

What about the wagon and the coaches with the Black Ends ??

Going OT - MR Ltd edition or mine? The optical car is 460000, the coaches with the black ends are 975081 and 9708 or 975081/977985 depending on how recent the formation is. If it's with 9708, then you also need brake force runner 99666 - a Mk2 with all plated windows.

Cheers,

Mick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,

picked up my NR 31 today, and a little surprised to find that the extra lights came already attached since no one else here mentioned that. Impressed Hornby went to the trouble of doing this before hand, as it suggests they went to efforts to get it right, and that the missing headlight was an oversight rather than an error. Mine is singing away quite happily with its Howes sound chip in it now.

Will post photos of it on my SGT later....

Hi Everyone,

I have been waiting patiently for both the Network Rail and Regional Railways class 31 models ever since Hornby announced them. The Reggie Rail was a must for me as I remember them well on the Barrow services when I was younger and ordered mine from Richard at the Train Shop in Morecambe when they were announced. This meant I also got it for a very good price before the RRP went up much higher! My thanks to Richard for his excellent service as always. I had liked the look of the Network Rail one but was worried the colour might not be quite right but I think Hornby have done an excellent job on this one with the extra details modelled which I really wasn't expecting. I picked this up at Falkirk show from McLaren Models who had it at a show special price. I knew about the headlight issue and contacted Hornby by a quick e-mail and within a few days had a polite and helpful response and the two sets of headlights were in the post the next day. Fantastic service from Hornby to fix a very minor issue and I felt well worth sharing with you here. As my Reggie one sits under the tree I have only fitted the headlights to the NR one and before fitting painted the inside silver and then attached them using a spot of Klear whch has worked well.

Thanks,

Mark

Archived