Hornby Class 31 Network Rail and MK2

smg201

I have my first ever Hornby Class 31 in Network Rail livery, running number 31233, on pre-order and i am looking very forward to it. I have been a little puzzelled to when i should be expecting the arrival of the locomotive, as it was orginally stated 2nd Quater. Thus i have emailed Hornby to ask for an update, they have been ever so kind to let me know delivery is now planned for September. I thought i would share with members of the forum.

I post to ask has anyone seen pre-production samples of the Network Rail Class 31. I have searched along every avenue without any sample photos, thus if anyone has seen one at a show, I would be ever so greatful to see a snap or two of it on here.

I also asked Hornby in my email, shall we be expecting some Hornby Mk2D coaches to go with the locomotive, similar to the Mk3 Pack for the NMT HST in Network Rail livery. I also pointed to them that Model Rails limited edition Bachmann Mk2 in Network Rail sold out within weeks. Hornby's reply was surprising, hence the post! Hornby said they do not currently have plans for a Mk2 Network Rail coach, but if people asked for it, we would get it. Thus i ask everyone out there who has one of these Class 31s on pre-order to email Hornby saying, like me, they also would love a couple of Mk2D coaches at customercare@Hornby.com quoting email reference HA883333. I would imagine anyone buying the Network Rail 31 will want some coahces to go with it, for now, my Bachmann Model Rail limited edition will be lonely. So lets get emailing and campagining for Hornby to make some :D

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if it's the usual "let's paint it yellow and call it Network Rail"....

31233 carries very prominent large floodlight brackets and a camera mounting point at one end, as well as an upturned fan cowling and centrally mounted headlight. Depending on the time frame, it could have either horizontal or vertical radiator bars.

Cheers,

Mick

Wow...so....peeps not interested in the Hornby Class 31 in Network Rail then? I would of thought it would be appealing to alot of modellers. The actual locomotives seem to travel the entire network?

Well i hope some peeps have been emailing Hornby regarding Mk2 coaches, I thank you if you have done so :) We live in a democracy (of sorts) and if we can demonstrate to Hornby there is enough demand for such coaches to match the 31 233 then they shall supply :)

Or as Newbryford mentions...is the lack of detailing putting peeps off the Hornby Class 31?

• RMweb Premium

The current Hornby 31 is perfectly OK but lacks the refinement characteristic of Bachmann and Heljan products. Whether NR stock appeals is purely a matter for personal preference but bear in mind a large proportion of modellers theme their layouts much earlier than the days of the yellow trains.

The current Hornby 31 is perfectly OK but lacks the refinement characteristic of Bachmann and Heljan products. Whether NR stock appeals is purely a matter for personal preference but bear in mind a large proportion of modellers theme their layouts much earlier than the days of the yellow trains.

That is the way i have been wanting to describe my thoughts on Hornby models "OK but lacks the refinement characteristic of Bachmann". May i use that when i struggle to describe that je ne sai qui missing from a Hornby model? It certainly is a kinder way of describing them than what i have used till now, a toy company as opposed to a modelling manafacturer.

I am becoming increasingly nervous regarding my pre-order, strange for it not to have been shown off at a show along with other upcoming models :S

(Still any locomotive model improvement to my current Hornby Class 73 GBRf 73204 hauling my Model Rail Mk2 Network Rail coach is always welcome hehe)

That is the way i have been wanting to describe my thoughts on Hornby models "OK but lacks the refinement characteristic of Bachmann". May i use that when i struggle to describe that je ne sai qui missing from a Hornby model? It certainly is a kinder way of describing them than what i have used till now, a toy company as opposed to a modelling manafacturer.

I am becoming increasingly nervous regarding my pre-order, strange for it not to have been shown off at a show along with other upcoming models :S

(Still any locomotive model improvement to my current Hornby Class 73 GBRf 73204 hauling my Model Rail Mk2 Network Rail coach is always welcome hehe)

Well, by the sounds of it and a post on WNXX - You may also want to be looking out for Virgin Class 57/3s - As Network Rail are apparently looking at hiring 6 from Virgin / Porterbrook, with the aim of using them as both tunderbirds for use with failed Southern / Southeastern units (Thatll be every winter then!), SWT? Aswell as various test trains, with the first apparently due to move to Brush for modification soon...So im putting it as a case of We Shall See...

Well, by the sounds of it and a post on WNXX - You may also want to be looking out for Virgin Class 57/3s - As Network Rail are apparently looking at hiring 6 from Virgin / Porterbrook, with the aim of using them as both tunderbirds for use with failed Southern / Southeastern units (Thatll be every winter then!), SWT? Aswell as various test trains, with the first apparently due to move to Brush for modification soon...So im putting it as a case of We Shall See...

Yes i have heard this too from other forums, Network Rail job site and WNXX. They should be for the new "PLPR" measurement trains that is taking on lessons learned from the NMT, I have read that more Mk2 and Mk3 DVTs shall be used too?! As a secondary role they will be fitted with "ETH" to recover failed units, as well as snowplough duties. Of course the Dellner coupling is only mechanical and more importantly the height needs adjusting as it is currently two high for "Electrostar" typed trains.

These 57/3s (301, 303, 305, 306, 310 & 312) along with any sucess from the re-engining of the 73s by RVEL will see the 31s retired, so i read.

Great news for Bachmann as they can do another livery run on their dellner fitted 57 model, bad news for Hornby as now not even I am sure i want to continue with my pre-order. Has no one see a pre-production sample at any Hornby display?

Regardless of future developments the yellow 31s have, I would expect, been running long enough to find a market. I'd certainly still have one. Not everyone modelling the modern scene is modelling the absolute present day (I'm 2004 onwards for example).

• 2 weeks later...

31 439 in Regional Railways livery is now up on one of the retailers' web sites.

At first sight it looks a bit disappointing.

The blue and white body side stripes appear to be incorrect widths relative to each other and the cabside numbers and 'Regional Railways' branding sit too low.

I'm going to hold on to my money unless I can be convinced otherwise by better pictures, which is a shame as it's the one Hornby loco I'd been intending to purchase this year.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

What sort of couplers do SWT have? as that will be the deciding factor as to wheather the 57/3s are suitable. Without scrabling round to check it would seem the Southern & South Eastern electrostar couplers are mechanically if not electrically compatable with the Pendalino ones.

57.311 moved to Dollands Moor this week for driver training for potential Thunderbird use in Kent

Yeah cause Network Rail have just got 6 57/3s from Virgin which I think are to be modified so they can resuce 375s and they are to help on snow clearance duties as well.

So NR 31s wont be due till christmas then :laugh_mini2:

Guest jim s-w

Hi Rick

perfectly ok in an "ok except the actual shape is wrong and it doesnt look as much like a 31 as the lima one did" kind of way perhaps? ;)

Cheers

Jim

31 439 in Regional Railways livery is now up on one of the retailers' web sites.

At first sight it looks a bit disappointing.

The blue and white body side stripes appear to be incorrect widths relative to each other and the cabside numbers and 'Regional Railways' branding sit too low.

I'm going to hold on to my money unless I can be convinced otherwise by better pictures, which is a shame as it's the one Hornby loco I'd been intending to purchase this year.

Chris

Never mind the painting etc, what have they done to the centre headlight. It looks they have just drilled a hole in the middle!

What sort of couplers do SWT have? as that will be the deciding factor as to wheather the 57/3s are suitable. Without scrabling round to check it would seem the Southern & South Eastern electrostar couplers are mechanically if not electrically compatable with the Pendalino ones.

Correct me if im wrong, but 99% sure that SWTs desiros are fitted with Dellnor couplings too - whether or not they are mechanically compatable i don't know but i know that they are having the couplers modified so anythings possible - though one of the main modifications is to lower the height of the dellnors on the 57s to couple up to the dellnors on the electrostars - as during several tests carried out a couple of years ago when Southern first floated the idea, the height of the 57/3s coupling was found to be about 2 inches higher than the dellnor on the 377! :scratchhead:

But overall, i think its more down to getting them mechanically compatable than electrically for now.

• RMweb Premium

Going OT rather here but I can confirm that a SWT Desiro and a Southern 377 can couple together, it has even happened, once!

377's can also couple with Class 171's (Happened once as well) and London Overground's 378's but all the above would only be in a towing mode as none of the computer trickery will talk to each other.

The Dellner couplings on Class 220/221 Voyagers won't work, the electrical connection box is above rather than below the coupler.

Bring back the RCH, life was so much simpler when everything had to be at least compatible with almost everything else!!

though one of the main modifications is to lower the height of the dellnors on the 57s to couple up to the dellnors on the electrostars - as during several tests carried out a couple of years ago when Southern first floated the idea, the height of the 57/3s coupling was found to be about 2 inches higher than the dellnor on the 377! :scratchhead:

But overall, i think its more down to getting them mechanically compatable than electrically for now.

That was a 375 at grove park depot that did the tests ,I don't think they use the 57s on southern 377s as they have Dave Berry the ex Gatex ED might be wrong though.

James

Never mind the painting etc, what have they done to the centre headlight. It looks they have just drilled a hole in the middle!

I was quite surprised when I seen this. I had to put my card away and hold off till I researched this and I can't find any images to prove this was what it looked like.

I was quite surprised when I seen this. I had to put my card away and hold off till I researched this and I can't find any images to prove this was what it looked like.

There are pictures on both Rails and Kernow's websites showing that the headlight surround is missing. On the class 31 R/R thread it's been mentioned that Hornby may have missed the headlight surround off, as it's a separate fitting. Lets hope it's correct.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I wonder if it's the usual "let's paint it yellow and call it Network Rail"....

31233 carries very prominent large floodlight brackets and a camera mounting point at one end, as well as an upturned fan cowling and centrally mounted headlight. Depending on the time frame, it could have either horizontal or vertical radiator bars.

Cheers,

Mick

Now arriving in retailers, looks quite smart - they have produced what looks to be non-working representation of the floodlights and camera.

I've had a rely from Hornby re the headlight surround, see the Hornby 31 R/R topic for the answer. Hope the Network Rail one doesn't suffer with the same problem, otherwise I'll need to sort that out as well. Tony.

Unfortunately, it is also missing the headlight surround. At least Hornby are already prepared for sorting out the missing part from the Regional Railways version.

Overall though, looks very good and a great addition to any current-era layout. Now just for a few more coaches for it......

Archived