The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Think you're smart for using a browser other than IE?

Ozexpatriate

There's some survey results out indicating that of all the users that took a particular on-line IQ test, the ones that used IE scored lower. The histogram on page 4 of the published survey is pretty compelling.

Published (now suspected hoax) survey: Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage

Linked press release story: Is Internet Explorer For The Dumb? A New Study Suggests Exactly That.

To me it indicates that people who are both

1. Computer savvy AND
  2. perhaps a little smarter than the average bear

look for a superior browser experience.

What are your thoughts?

Post submitted using my corporate standard - IE8.0.

Edit - shortened thread title.

Edit - changed subtitle and added hoax reference.

Guest jim s-w

Yay! I am using opera - that makes me cleverish - clevererer - um...

maybe not!

Cheers

Jim

In their conclusions, the authors of the report state the following:

It is common knowledge, that Internet Explorer Versions to 6.0 to 8.0 are highly incompatible with modern web standards. In order to make websites work properly on these browsers, web developers have to spend a lot of unnecessary effort. This results in an extra financial strain on web projects, and has over the last decade cost millions of man-hours to IT companies. Now that we have a statistical pattern on the continuous usage of incompatible browsers, better steps can be taken to eradicate this nuisance.

In light of the recent problems with IE's handling of cookies and summarily logging off RMWebbers, these comments ring true, although it also rings of an 'agenda' given that their business is to supply web-based tools to do HR assessments.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect a higher iq is just more likely to be a person who wants to explore other avenues and therefore a group more likely to try other browsers. It's just another tool and I suspect many IE users demonstrate the same Behaviour in their choice of experimenting with techniques and tools for modelling. ;)

Statistics are just a bit of fun and too easy to manipulate.

• Like 1

I wonder if they differentiated between Win-OS and Linux users? ;)

Yes, they did:

The scores were stored in a database along with the user’s age, gender, Browser, Operating System, and geographic location determined from their IP Address.

but apparently declined to share this in the report.

• RMweb Gold

I use Chrome. I suspect that if I had been interviewed the average IQ would have been somewhat reduced! To be honest everything seems wonderful when I compare it to Prestel.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics" (O. Wilde, attrib.)

If you believe it is valid research then fine. Won't stop me using Safari :yahoo:

• RMweb Premium

Not originally from Mark Twain. Most references suggest he in turn attributes it to Benjamin Disraeli. There are numerous other attributions and is probable that we shall never have a single definitive source to cite.

Realistically, I don't think that those statistics prove much at all. There would be zillions of people out there who buy a computer with Windows Whatever pre-installed, therefore with IE already in place, and they would not know how to install another browser. They might also be a bit dumb too, I can think of a few.....

• RMweb Premium

As a generalisation (based on nothing but my own thoughts I hasten to add), I would suggest that those people who buy stuff then tinker with it will tend to have a higher IQ than those who are happy to leave things as they come. Thus with computers it doesn't seam particularly suprising that those with a higher IQ are more inclined to experement with other browsers rather than sticking with the default IE that gets bundled with every version of Windows.

• Like 1

In light of the recent problems with IE's handling of cookies and summarily logging off RMWebbers, these comments ring true,

I'm finding Chrome is having cookie trouble at the moment! I have to log into RMWeb quite often, whereas it was automatic before. Facebook and Weebly are also giving me difficulty. This has coincided with the appearance of a 'genuine window's validation' icon appearing in my icon tray and a message saything that my Norton maybe out of date...

Off topic, but does anyone know about this 'genuine window's validation'? I tried following its steps but the website it took me to just didn't feel right, and the software it asked me to download didn't have a programme to run on so I left it there...

• RMweb Premium

Does anybody have any research into the IQ of companies/organisations that make their web presence only viewable on certain browsers?

I.e

My Doctor's surgery has an online booking/prescription service which only works on IE.

Starbucks Card website only works with IE and Netscape Navigator (yes!)

I use Firefox normally but have to resort to IE for such sites (I used to use Netscape Navigator years ago until developement stopped and it bcame obsolescent).

Keith

I used to use safari, then it started playing up with facebook, so I switched to chrome. Then chrome started playing up so I went back to safari. Then Safari started getting this weird problem where it would reload pages for no good reason. So I use safari for rmweb and chrome for facebook