LT Pannier

Torn-on-the-platform

WHAT DO I DO NOW? :help:

I ordered one online from Rails Saturday evening after close of business. The front page said newly arrived but the actual page for ordering said they were on order so I took a chance they'd not updated the main page.

WRONG!

I rang this morning to check if they had my order, which they have, but said the initial ones had gone quickly and more were on order.

Not a problem with Rails - they've acted correctly in all this.

My question is - do we expect Bachmann to have more to deliver, or should I cancel the order and get one whilst I can? What I don't know is whether the big players like Rails or Hattons get more than 1 delivery of the same item when it's popular?

Try Hattons they seem to have plenty in stock...:yes:

Maybe they would do a second run of the same loco to satisfy demand for this release but I would be surprised if a second one only a year later would sell as well. Afterall, for most people they will be a novelty purchase as they are just something a little different, without a silly price tag. I know some people will buy any LT pannier released, as Keith clearly has, but I'm sure one red pannier will be enough for the majority. This certainly was the case for me!

It would be nice to see a bit of LT liveried stock to follow though. Didn't they produce a brake van for Kernow?

Yes they did here is a picture of Kernow's Brake Vans - how accurate they are I do not know.

post-6939-0-87907100-1312232909_thumb.jpg

There were some pictures of them on a Fotopic site - now vanished along with Fotopic

Unless someone knows if they have reappeared somewhere else...?

Ian Allan Waterloo still had at least 1 in the window, 1 in the cabinet (possibly more in the stockroom) this morning, priced at £51-odd.

Stewart

of the new issue? it dosn't sound like IA undercutting Hattons by £3

J

• RMweb Premium

The LT brakes referred to (and no others) were taken into stock as redundant BR items and were thus virtually the standard item repainted and renumbered. LT had many other brakes over the years which were very definitely not to BR standard! Within scale limits those models are pretty accurate.

Looking forward to the PT arriving even though it falls well outside my theme. It can be used for Open Day events at the shed and might get to top and tail with my weathered BR (WR) example.

• RMweb Premium

They ran on unelectrified lines on a daily basis right until the end. One of their regular workings was to Croxley engineer's waste tip which was not within electrified territory. One reason the PT's lasted so long was said to be their suitability for such workings when the only other LT locos at the time were the battery-electrics which had limited scope to run (particularly with heavy trains) off the juice.

The LT panniers also worked engineering trains over electrified track which was de-energised during track work for much the same reason.

Prior to their 1971 withdrawal I also believe occasional trips were made beyond the then limit of LT operation at Amersham and that at least one reached Aylesbury long after the "Met" had ceased to serve that town.

If you want more information and photos then see "Red Panniers" by John Scott Morgan and Kirk Martin. Published by Lightmoor Press £27. A superb book.

Other photos can be found in "London Underground Steam" by Kevin McCormack. Published by Ian Allan £16.99.

LT583 and 584 were at Acton earlier in the year, I have always understood that whilst these are BR design, they were built as a batch of 6 for LT, rather than being ex-BR. Note they have LT style couplings and no-buffers at one end.

J

post-336-0-83878000-1312280880_thumb.jpg

post-336-0-02397000-1312280892_thumb.jpg

...ahh, but I have not got L91......only got the service sheet for L91 which came in the un-marked box with L99 :laugh:

Keith

I've just checked both of my L99's have the service sheet quoting L91 so I think that's standard! If anyone has a L91 that they want to swap for one of my L99's drop me a pM..

Jon

• RMweb Premium

The batch B580-585 are noted in my sources as "20-ton BR standard" brakes. They had LT couplers and rubbing plates at one end and BR-type couplers and buffers at the other to act as runners when transferring LT stock behind BR locomotives on delivery, for overhaul and for scrap. These were built in 1965 by BR Ashford Works. Similar B586 (Ashford, 1962) is ex-BR B955096. All I believe carried dual LT and BR stock numbers so as to be correctly identified by the administrations upon whose system they were running at the time.

Note also the A and D markings in the illustrations above clearly showing the brakes were "handed" as was most LT passenger stock they were required to run with. The two D ends shunted together show non-mating hoses; A ends couple to D ends, never A to A nor D to D.

Sources : Ian Allan and Capital Transport publications 1965 - date.

The batch B580-585 are noted in my sources as "20-ton BR standard" brakes. They always had LT couplers and rubbing plates atone end and BR-type couplers and buffers at the other to act as runners when transferring LT stock behind BR locomotives on delivery, for overhaul and for scrap. These were built in 1965 by BR Ashford Works. Similar B586 (Ashfornrd, 1962) is ex-BR B955096.

Sources : Ian Allan and Capital Transport publications 1965 - date.

The photo of B585 in the Aylesbury photos seems to show standard buffers and couplings at both ends.

David

• RMweb Premium

Not wishing to divert too far from the topic at hand but B580 and B585 may have had hinged buffers at one or both ends. These two were tube stock runners and therefore had D-end couplers at the low-level tube-stock height. The others were surface stock runners. 580 and 585 would probably have been adaptable to run with "normal" (i.e. surface stock loading gauge) engineers' wagons as required and as shown at Aylesbury. Alternatively those images (which appear to be from the mid 1960s when the brakes were new) might pre-date their use as runners altogether.

Some pictures of LT panniers at Aylesbury taken by John Reed, they were quite a common sight.

David

The shot of the class 40 on 1M10 was taken where though? Not Aylesbury, surely?

• RMweb Premium

Yes thats Aylesbury, will check out the date but it may have been a west coast main line diversion

David

The route would be interesting as well. Mid 60's it could have come up the GC extension but from where? 1M10 suggests an origin in Scotland.

M10 is a Scot, no question. Stupidly I thought that was northbound despite even quoting the headcode (Doh!), of course it's Aylesbury - schoolboy error :laugh:

Wonder how she got there?

M10 is a Scot, no question. Stupidly I thought that was northbound despite even quoting the headcode (Doh!), of course it's Aylesbury - schoolboy error :laugh:

Wonder how she got there?

I won't be able to find out the date or number of the loco until tomorrow night, but it may be due to electifation of the West Coast Main Line, top of my head I have a feeling its 1964

David

• RMweb Premium

1964 would conflict with the 1965 build date of the LT brakes in question. Will wait for your reply. 1M10 might also have come from the NE Region though a WCML diversion seems most likely.

Archived