LT Pannier

Torn-on-the-platform

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the feedback guys - hopefully I have one on its way from Antics online who I’ve used before.

I spoke to a very helpful lady at Rails today. She quite understood the problem and said they’d ordered some more from Bachmann as soon as they flew off the shelves.

On top of that she’d phoned Bachmann this morning to see if they would actually be able to supply any more to which I understand she was given an inconclusive answer. Her response to me was ‘what do we tell our customers?’ - which illustrates a very positive and customer-focussed attitude from Rails.

Anyway, she was happy for me to cancel my order, and for my part I’ve kept faith with Rails by placing a pre-order for the Bachmann LMS/BR 3F which is approx £7 more than the pannier.

Ref Bachmann’s representation of LT goods stock from earlier sets I had always thought they’d been painted in a grey that was far too dark, however I now think the answer may be more complex.

The shade ought to be like this wagon in Acton museum?

revBW314ActonOpenDay12Mar11.jpg

However if you look at the pics posted by David Bigcheeseplant at Aylesbury it looks like they may have been delivered in darker grey by BR and then overpainted in lighter grey by LT - leaving patches around the lettering. A colour representation can be seen on the front of London Underground Steam by Kevin McCormack ISBN 978-0-7110-3406-8

http://www.whsmith.c...1034068_l_f.jpg

Thus I’m starting to think that back in 1990 when the LT freight set was issued that Bachmann painted the brake vans in as-delivered grey and then painted the open wagon to match the same colour?

• RMweb Premium

1964 would conflict with the 1965 build date of the LT brakes in question. Will wait for your reply. 1M10 might also have come from the NE Region though a WCML diversion seems most likely.

Furthermore, it is my understanding (I think from the Red Panniers book) that the BR Standard vans were built for LT, not ex-BR stock.

VCT Survey has them down as 1961

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7990

http://www.ws.vintagecarriagestrust.org/ws/WagonInfo.asp?Ref=7989

Worthy of preservation (I believe they are still in active use as barrier vehicles)

• RMweb Gold

Panic over :yahoo:

Loco arrived today from Antics online - only 50p more in total than it would have been from Rails. This is 2nd time I've used Antics and both times very good service (this time, ordered Monday - arrived Weds).

Loco worked pretty well on filthy track that's not been cleaned since Spring.

• RMweb Premium

Still not reached Kernow MRC yet as they're a long way down the GW main line and pannier tanks don't travel as fast as some types ;) . But listed as "Due within 7 days". I'll expect mine near the end of the month.

• RMweb Premium

Rick

Kernow's Twitter and Facebook feed now states them as being in stock.

Good news. And news which was updated in the short time between our posts as I checked those sources first before posting.

I knew Bachmann had this on the list of new items for 2011 but hadn't realised that it was out yet. Picked up a copy of Steam Railway for a browse in the shops last weekend and saw their review. I've always had a soft spot for red panniers, they were my first brief experience of steam about 1970. Never got round to getting any of the earlier releases so promised myself one of these when they came out. Ordered one from the Signal Box at Rochester on Tuesday evening which arrived Thursday! Good work Signal Box.

Lovely little model, slow speed running seems very smooth. Not sure about Steam Railway's comments about too much red lower down, need to look at pictures I think.

I can see a brake van and a couple of suitable wagons being built for it sooner or later. Not sure how I'll justify its presence on a 1930s rural light railway, but then the same thing applies for my NSE liveried 03!

Patrick

• RMweb Premium
too much red lower down

LT kept their panniers (and indeed from most of the published photos I have seen all their steam locos) in quite good external condition most of the time. Of course a pristine model will be far brighter and cleaner than anything which had been in service for long but they definitely did have crimson wheels and scarlet rods. The few times I saw a PT in service they were only what a modeller today might term "lightly weathered".

The small red areas beneath the side tanks in places where there should be space could always be blacked in carefully if desired.

Yes, in most of the pictures (admittedly b&w) and the bit of period film that I've seen of them they always seem to be pretty clean. When I read the comment I thought they were probably barking up the wrong tree. Still, I might try some light weathering below running plate level.

Patrick

I succumbed to an LT Pannier.

Anyone know a source for LT decals, specifically the brakes?

I wouldn't mind putting a train together at some point, and I suspect the limited edition LT stock goes for silly money on ebay...

• RMweb Premium

I can now give some info on this photo, it was taken on just after dawn on a miserable Sunday, 25 July 1965. The loco is D376 using this route due to the rebuilding of Euston, the pannier is L95 with brake van B.580

David

I actually travelled on one of the WCML diversions; the train originated from Heysham although I joined it at Bletchley to Marylebone.

I wouldn't mind putting a train together at some point, and I suspect the limited edition LT stock goes for silly money on ebay...

Modelmaster do a set that includes the brakevans - I'll look the sheet number up if required.

Jon

Radley Models is your best best Pete I have used the decals on my Brake Vans and they look good.

ddedt.jpg

Xerces Fobe

Try "Modelmaster Jackson Evans" on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I bought some from them - no problems....

They got as far as Aylesbury, see if I can find a photo

David

Hi David,

always keen on your posts, being an Aylesbury boy myself - I like the picture of you sitting on the clock tower in the market square.

My old man - Ray Wood, drove Panniers - (after cutting his teeth on Met F Class), and lived in Aylesbury from 66 onwards. There are quite a few pictures of him in the Red Panniers book. CRL Coles took a cracking picture of him leaning out of the cab of L52 at a location I reckon must be mid way between Wendover and Missenden - have it up on the wall here at home together with an appendix to the working timetable for the Met dated 1st August 1921 that was given to him by an old driver when he joined LT at Neasden after the war.

I am sure he used to pick up strings of coal wagons for Neasden Power station - and he mentioned Swanbourne sidings on the Oxford to Bletchly line - but I am unsure whether the coal wagons were delivered to Aylesbury Yard, or whether LT locos used to work right the way up to Swanbourne. Never been able to identify a satisfactory answer to that, but the idea of a Pannier blasting through Verney Junction always appeals to my imagination.

Dad loved the panniers, and had his favourites. He described their performance and pulling power as volcanic, and reckoned they would move anything if driven well. He told some grand stories of his work in the 50's, 60's and early 70's. He used to particularly enjoy shunting - banging up the wagons as he called it.

When L44 was at Ricky on a steam on the Met event in the early 90's, he wistfully observed that the crews start was rather gentle, and he laughed as he told me he'd have had achieved a more volcanic exhaust. (Dads haunt as a ticket collector when he had to stop driving owing to diabetes in the mid 70's) he

I know he once had entertainment being given the road from the bay at Aylesbury by a grinning signalman, and he then gave his fireman vigorous verbal encouragement to maintain the fire and steam pressure since there was the small matter of the Master Cutler, (travelling on its 'proper' route), breathing down their necks. Dad was also around when they tried out a 'Sulzer' as he referred to it, before LT settled on the Rolls Royce engined Sentinels to replace the Panniers as well as the battery locos.

All the best,

Matt Wood

Many thanks to everyone who responded regarding decals.

Guest dilbert

My LT Pannier arrived today - what a peach.

The handbrake got unglued in transit, something that will be taken care of this evening... dilbert

Archived