A weathered Hawksworth...

Looks fine Craig, spot on. I thought it was only the Bachmann RMB that had a smooth roof.... are all of the others rib-less now? The last one I boughta few months ago (a choc & cream FK) still had the ribs on, though I've since removed them.

Before I make a start (I've gone out and bought some of the foundation paints), how long would you say I'll have, after mixing the paints on a plastic pallette , before they dry out ?!! Not used acrylics before (on models) and am wondering how much of a rush I should be in to finish a complete roof! I understand you can keep the paint moist with a water mist, but won't this thin it down and change it's desirable, thick, bituminey, texture?

You can buy acrylic extenders from art shops which lengthen the time these paints take to dry.

On the Western I would expect not to find every coach in the same livery, never mind similar colours. When you consider that GW chocolate and cream was still about in isolated pockets in 1955 and the supersession of blood and custard took from 1956 to 1964, not to mention the rise and fall of BR chocolate and cream (born 1956, abandoned 1962) there must have been very few sets that matched fully. It was inevitable that vehicles got taken out of sets for a defect to be fixed, to say nothing of strengthening at peak times.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thinking along these lines I've noticed quite a large number of mixed rakes (livery wise) appearing well into 1963 throughout my WR book collection, with some choc & cream vehicles and still extant into 1964. These are mostly BR Mk1s of course, although there is the odd appearence of a choc & cream Super Saloon or two. Various Ian Allan colour albums show rakes of crimson & cream / choc & cream / maroon all mixed together, again most are Mk1 types but even so, some of the maroon vehicles within these formations are from the Collett / Hawksworth / Stanier / Gresley / Thompson stables (there's a maroon Hawksworth pictured in mainline service in 1967 in one of the recent hydraulic books).

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Following this thread I decided to make a start on my WR rake, begiining with the Hawksworth maroon BTK. I haven't tried coaches before other than a bit of roof and underframe painting, and this is still "work in progress". The roof was done in Citadel Characon Granite, given a light dusting of dark mud powder, then brushed across with Badab Black wash. The sides were brushed downwards with Badab Black wash then wiped down to almost clean in some parts but trying to leave streaks below handles etc.

post-9767-0-09242800-1325772740_thumb.jpg

The underframe still has a bit of work to be done, but I hope I am slowly getting there.

And very nice it is too!!! Thanks for posting the pic as it shows 'another' combination of applications... which I have to say seems more 'manageable' as you're not mixing up a colour before applying it. Those Foundation paints do dry quickly!

Not started on my Mk1s yet... still removing the ribs!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some great weatheing effects on here. This isn't finished, but following the discussions about acrylics, and them setting too quickly thought I'd add it to this thread.

I also use acrylics (brushed not sprayed). I use Joes Model Trains acrylics which are sold as track colours but equally useful for rolling stock. It also helps me keep to a limited palette. Weathered black, Shale (a mid grey), Dark Brown, and Brown Rust. For various applications I use mixes of these.

For a coach roof, a mix of weathered black and shale (varying the shade slightly for each coach) is a good starting point. It doesn't dry as quickly as eg Games Workshop, and by adding a little water (trial and error needed here) you can keep it workable but not too runny for a while (a while being somewhere between not long and an interval!).

Also by NOT mixing too thoroughly and using say a half inch brush, you can get the start of dry brushing effects as the black and grey separate.

revend800px.jpg

I know there was a lot of criticism of these Hornby Gresleys but with all that panelling thought it would make a good project to have a go at something really careworn. This is just the application of my mix, before any further paint/powders so is not the finished article, but I thought I'd take these pics now to show just how you can start the roof off, with acrylics that are a bit more forgiving in terms of drying time.

revallcompartments800px.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this is moving too far away from Hawksworth’s but there seems to be a lot of interest on this thread regarding roof ribs, roof painting, and acrylics.

Following yesterday’s start on the roof of my Gresley brake composite I went back upstairs after approx 3 hours. Needless to say the coach roof was well dry, however the mixture in my mixing pot was still viscous.

For a roof area I normally mix about double what I think I need as you can’t really re-mix part way through and get the same colour if you’ve under estimated! Despite being open to the air all that time, by adding a little water, and stirring a bit (but not mixing too thoroughly) the mixture was still workable. That’s what I find good about the Joes Model Trains trackside acrylics.

Using a half inch brush again I did the ‘arc’ area between the roof rain-strip and the top edge of the carriage sides. I also did some touching in of other areas on the major part of the roof. As noted earlier in the thread, using paint that’s a bit viscous can be quite realistic on coach roof areas.

revCorrroofclose800px.jpg

This isn’t quite the finished article but hopefully you can see where it’s going. I need to dust it with grey powder, and POSS add a few more pronounced streaks. However, most pics I’ve seen of this stock in BR days (from ‘normal viewing distance’) just seems to be uniformly grey or black on the roof.

A shot of the corridor side at more normal viewing distance, in well worn condition as the carmine/cream on these didn’t seem to wear at all well.

revcompositecorrsideweathered800px.jpg

The roof seems to be more uniformly grey at this distance, whereas close up you can see streaks. For the compartment side I’ve gone to town a bit more and weathered heavily to a condition that looks as though she won’t make it into maroon livery before withdrawal.

revcompositecmptsideweathered800px.jpg

All this is done without airbrush and without enamels. Variously T-Cut, acrylic washes, Modelmates dye, powders, and copious amounts of wiping down after each application to get ground-in dirt in the corners but hopefully not too ham fisted.

I must say rmweb has given me the confidence to have a go at this and learn from others.

Might I be the first to say... that's a crackin' coach you've created!!

... and I don't think you'll be the last to say what you said in your final little para. Said the same myself not so long ago when I first had a go.

• 1 month later...

Lovely looking Gresley there Metroland, straight out of a Keith Pirt colour slide c.1959!

Managed to get started on a maroon Hawksworth yesterday, the first bit of modelling I've done for months, anyhow here's a quick smudge or three...

post-7638-0-16911600-1337761370_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-01047300-1337761456_thumb.jpg

And a comparison shot with a Bachmann RMB which has been partially T-Cutted, the maroon shades don't quite match although they look ok in the flesh...

post-7638-0-61227000-1337761583_thumb.jpg

I've held off buying any more of these fine coaches for a while due to domestic jobs taking up vital modelling funds (grrrr, bother and damnation etc), but I'll be having a few more soon with a bit of luck, including two GWR choc & cream ones to transform into the two which were used on the Royal Train and various specials in Western Region days. With a bit of careful repainting I should be able to get away with it.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rugd1022. That Hawksworth is nicely restrained. I wouldn't worry too much about the differences in shades though it is sometimes something that vexes me.

If you look at pics of stock in days gone by, each coach was often weathered differently due to constant re-formations. However I do find that too much difference in a rake in OO can look a bit odd (to me at any rate), so they need to be 'the same but different' if you get my drift. However, then as now, the catering vehicles always seem to have a different overhaul cycle so will always be different.

Thanks Metroland - yes I do know what you mean, looking through Kevin Robertson's 'Great Western Coaches In Colour' yesterday there's a rake of condemned Hawksworths shown in maroon which don't look too bad, but sandwiched in between two of them is a Collett K41 Full Brake which is quite filthy in comparison. The roof colours more or less match though!

I had a proper perusal of this book yesterday and have set my mind on gathering up more Collett and Hawksworth stock of the 1960-67 period, it's surprising just how much of it lasted that long. I wasn't aware until I read the book that the first Hawksworth vehicles to be condemned were done so as late as 1965.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I wasn’t sure whether to add this here or put it on another thread, as it’s nothing to do with Hawksworths but I think there’s some interest on here for this?

One of the things I’ve been meaning to try for ages is getting ‘damaged roof areas’. A lot of pics show coach roofs with varying degrees of bare metal (or at least underlying coats of paint) where whole areas of paint/dirt have flaked off.

I had an ex-LMS GUV I was working on, and these tended to have lots of damage so I thought I’d have a practice. For more normal coaching stock I’ll probably be a bit more restrained but I was quite happy with how it turned out for a first attempt.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55405-metr0lands-acrylic-and-powder-weathering/

(Starts at post 5)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another kind of Hawksworth.

I had some of the Airfix auto coaches from way back, when they were a cheap way of getting a complete train. Although the body has some inaccuracies it still offers a cheap basis for a bit of trial and error.

The one thing that really grated with the originals for me was the horrible purpley maroon they used for the BR ‘maroon’.

As a simple summer project I resprayed a couple with Halfords primer and then did one all-over carmine (Hycote Ford Rosso red acrylic). For the other one I sprayed Hycote Vauxhall Gazelle Beige for the cream and then Rosso red for the carmine. The close up camera work is a bit cruel, especially the recessed glazing. The weathering seems a bit more lumpy on the pic than it does to my eyes, likewise the cream seems to come across somewhat more yellow in the pic.

I’ve added some buffer beam detail to both and a driver for one of them.

All in all it was quite a simple project and they withstand a bit of tarting up.

CarmineAutoCoach800px.jpg

Carmine_CreamAutoCoach800px.jpg

Archived