Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bolton Trinity Road - trains running in the shed and garden in OO

Jenny Emily

• RMweb Gold

Nice job Jenny, here's wishing you lots of good weather to watch the trains go by...

Al.

Bah! It's chucking it down with rain today, so it doesn't look like I can really do anything outside. I guess this is the big problem with outdoors modelling - the weather.

Oops!

:D

Rain stops play, and I'm currently in the shed with a beer or two waiting for the Australia Grand Prix to transfer across to this computer so I can watch it (Thanks Radio 4 for blowing the result for me without warning on Sunday morning whilst I was driving to Falkirk!). The rain has tested the garden extension, and by and large it has held up fine. There are just a couple of weak spots that will require attention. One is where drips from a holly tree are hitting the ground and splashing a little onto the underside, and the other is a little leak where water is running down one of the two upright railway sleepers that the back straight is fastened to. Both can be fixed with additions of small bits of roofing felt when it has dried out again; nothing major.

Tracklaying has commenced. Not much though, but the weathewr was so good this morning that I've cleaned up the ends of two of the tracks that head out from Burnden junction in the shed. I couldn't resist trying a couple of locomotives to see whether they would happily romp out into the sun; and they did! Still lots of work to do though. There might not be so much progress now as my holiday from work is almost at an end. Boooo!

Nice job on the extension there Jenny, bet you cant wait for the REAL summer and trains running.

I shut myself away and made sure NO Radios were on until I watched the GP on the BBC in the afternoon.

BTW, I HATE the sound of the new engines. :O

Andy :sungum:

Nice work Jenny,

Re: F1 cars.  We used to live a couple of kms from Albert Park and could open the windows and listen to stereo sound when the race was on.  The old cars sounded like misquitos on steriods, the new cars sound like blow flies.  We are living in the country (major town) these days so a lot quieter except when the hoons occassionaly drive around or through the round about nearby.

Mark in OZ

Rain stops play for another day. It's the last day of my time off work too, so no more progress until next week at the earliest. I have, however, got the first two lengths of Peco flexitrack fastened down into the garden, and some adjustments of the track passing through the wall of the shed has banished rough riding and derailments. I've weatherproofed the fixed track using the bitumen flat roof paint thinned down with white spirit. This should hopefully stop water penetrating the roofing felt where the track pins went through.

I bought more supplies at Arcadia in Shaw today. Another 25 yards of track, fishplates, and some decent track pins. The Peco ones I had from elsewhere are completely pants - I'm loosing three out of every four to bending and snapping despite being extremely careful. I won't buy them again. I may also have bought a Heljan class 128, just because.

I think I got really lucky with the weather. Where I work, our holiday year runs from April 1st to March 31st. It's use it or lose it, so I took all my remaining holidays when I could fit them in the holiday diary at work (they allow a maximum of 15 people off on any one day). It was pure chance that it's been the only two weeks with sunshine in for a long time!

It was pure chance that it's been the only two weeks with sunshine in for a long time!

With luck like that you should have a go at the lottery!

My shed got erected on November 5th, the wettest day in history followed by the wettest winter on record.  I've only just had it restored, 4 months later....

Bloody weather!

Well, I got really good weather today and made a lot of progress. It was really bright, so I come out super saturated with every blemish on my skin for all to see in the video. That'll teach me for going out in the garden without a stitch of makeup on!

....I come out super saturated with every blemish on my skin for all to see in the video. That'll teach me for going out in the garden without a stitch of makeup on!

Not something I've ever suffered from, personally... :jester:

I think you're right about the Peco track pins in an outdoor environment. Asking a lot of them to go through roofing felt! Different matter indoors of course. Nice use of the 'p-way' trucks for carrying joiners and pins - I do that! Nifty way of cutting track as well - I agree with you re the damage that cutters can do to track ends.

Keep 'em coming - watching with interest. And here's to a nice summer of playing trains outdoors :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Excellent job, and it seems to have taken you very little time.

It's really, really great to be able to have a long vista down the track and see a 6 coach train approaching from a distance - something which (unless you're very lucky) you will never get with an indoor layout.

I think you both deserve to put your feet up and watch the trains go past, and hopefully you'll take some more video to show us as well.

Nice one!

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Jenny

fantastic work there my own attempt at an outdoor layout is now 3 years old and has less to show now than it did 2 years ago.

keep up the great work.

However watching video 8 with the subtitles on was a bit odd something about "campaign scallops and nice fish"

jennycaptions.jpg

Steve

Thanks people! I'm told the subtitles are some computer's attempt at deciphering what is being said from the audio stream. Which it is absolutely pants at.

I'm looking forward to my next day off (Monday) if the weather ever stops tipping water out of the sky.

I managed to ballast the entire layout this morning, despite the weather forecast promising rain. That didn't arrive until about an hour ago, so I also had a nice opportunity to run some trains too. I managed a long (40+) rake of Bachmann 16t mineral wagons, but they kept derailing at one of the portals into the shed, so I need to tweak the track there. The other line now runs faultlessly and allowed a long rake of Hornby Gresleys round with a reasonable degree of reliability. Videos to come when they are editted and processed.

I've been tweaking the track this morning for much more reliable running. It's amazing what you can do with a small file! I've found that whilst very long trains will run happily in a clockwise direction, there is a steep grade on one bit of track in the anti clockwise direction that is limiting me to nine coach trains unless I double head.

• RMweb Gold

I've been tweaking the track this morning for much more reliable running. It's amazing what you can do with a small file! I've found that whilst very long trains will run happily in a clockwise direction, there is a steep grade on one bit of track in the anti clockwise direction that is limiting me to nine coach trains unless I double head.

The advantages of the wide open spaces! I suspect there are plenty of members who would be delighted to be able to run 9-coach trains, and simply long for an excuse to double-head. Looks great.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent stuff J-E.  Although I prefer my garden trains rather larger, any running in the garden is just so different and enjoyable it has it's own appeal.

Enjoy! 

Rain doesn't much worry my live steamers, but I was wondering about running OO in the rain - diesel models would appear to be quite enclosed ?  Any thoughts?

Archived