Bolton Trinity Road - trains running in the shed and garden in OO

Jenny Emily

At my previous house, following some undesirable intrusions I fixed carpet gripper strip along the inside top edge of my rear garden fencing. I suspect it's illegal, but my theory was that anyone putting their hands or fingers over my fencing was up to no good anyway!

• RMweb Gold

I used the same until the shrubs were big enough to train along the bit where the invaders would try to get a grip.

A traditional thorn-bearing blackberry is also good. They grow lots of long shoots every year so take some maintenance cutting out the dead ones, but on the plus side you get some fruit to eat in late summer.

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Never, ever, thought I'd get lessons on 'aggressive gardening' on a modelling website!  Some useful ideas though; I just hope the biological warfare doesn't take too much time away from Jenny's excellent modelling.

Regards,

Alex.

I'd go for the Berberis as it need less fertile soil to grow, Pyracantha really needs a good quality growing medium to give it a quick lift.

Plenty organic matter helps(Especially in a slingshot fired at neds)

HTH.

Andy.

I know of nothing better than Berberis and Pyracantha. Pyracantha is available in a nice variety of forms and berry colour so you should be able to find one that fits in with your garden design.

A popular use for pyracantha is to decorate central reservations of dual carriageways to discourage pedestrians from crossing at inappropriate places while still being a very attractive shrub.

I used the same until the shrubs were big enough to train along the bit where the invaders would try to get a grip.

A traditional thorn-bearing blackberry is also good. They grow lots of long shoots every year so take some maintenance cutting out the dead ones, but on the plus side you get some fruit to eat in late summer.

Ooh Blackberry pie! Nice!

I'd go for the Berberis as it need less fertile soil to grow, Pyracantha really needs a good quality growing medium to give it a quick lift.

Plenty organic matter helps(Especially in a slingshot fired at neds)

HTH.

Andy.

Bag of miracle grow should sort that out.

• RMweb Gold

Gorse is nice and prickly, certainly as effective as berberis or pyracatha and better than hawthorn or brambles, but far too inflamable.

As far as I know, the modeller in question has no plans for live steam...

OO isn't really practical for live steam (Yes, I do know of the Hornby offerings). The trains do also have to run through the shed which means no dribbling on the track either!

Today is far too hot and humid to lay bricks or concrete, so I have resolved to sit in a sun lounger sipping gin and tonics instead. Aren't days off such a chore?

Hi Jenny i've just read your thread from 'front to back' and what a great job your doing ever so sorry to hear about the break-in!

People are heartless.

Anyways i look forward to future progress and video clips of the layout...

All the best,

Jack.

Ps. Gin and tonic sounds like a bloomin' good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut the first hole part way through the shed wall tonight. I now wish that I had had the foresight to do this before building the model. Access is tight and I managed to damage the track within the tunnel mouth. I did it by drilling a series of holes with a quarter inch drill around the outline of the tunnel mouth then used sturdy wire cutters to join the holes and break out the plywood. I can now see the outer skin of the shed, but at a cost of needing to relay the final couple of inches of track. I am not looking forward to opening out the second hole underneath Newport street bridge as access is even worse here. I think that I may remove a couple of signals temporarily to make risk of damage a little less. 

I cut the first hole part way through the shed wall tonight. I now wish that I had had the foresight to do this before building the model. Access is tight and I managed to damage the track within the tunnel mouth. I did it by drilling a series of holes with a quarter inch drill around the outline of the tunnel mouth then used sturdy wire cutters to join the holes and break out the plywood. I can now see the outer skin of the shed, but at a cost of needing to relay the final couple of inches of track. I am not looking forward to opening out the second hole underneath Newport street bridge as access is even worse here. I think that I may remove a couple of signals temporarily to make risk of damage a little less.

I find with such difficulties the best way is just to get it done, and then its history. I've got a huge problem with the lighting-gallery of my layout; it should have been done when the baseboards were made. But I just had to get track down and get trains running... Wrong! Now I have to pay the price. :( lol

Tony.

I find with such difficulties the best way is just to get it done, and then its history. I've got a huge problem with the lighting-gallery of my layout; it should have been done when the baseboards were made. But I just had to get track down and get trains running... Wrong! Now I have to pay the price. :( lol

Tony.

I usually blunder along without too much thought but when I do stop to think, I have the devil's own job to get started again!

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing! I've inspected the damaged track and have decided to cut it back six inches from the tunnel mouth and lay a new piece in from scratch that will be longer so that the track join to the outside world is easily accessible just outside the shed wall. I'm going to do the same with the other tracks as it will avoid inaccessible track joins within the tight confines of the tunnel. 

I painted the shed roof white two years ago - it works really well, with the added bonus that the paint has helped preserve the roofing felt and stopped the heat from deteriorating it. I've done the same with my carport roof as a result. 

I cut the second way through the wall tonight. The outer shed skin will be breached probably tomorrow. Drawing on the experience of the first tunnel, I've managed it far quicker and easier and without damaging track. I bought today some sand and gravel today in Castleford and will be laying the foundations for the last brick pillar in the garden. Once that's built and the holes through the shed wall are done it's on to woodwork and ultimately tracklaying. I've had a root through the track that I already have - 25 yards of Peco nickel silver flexitrack. I think a second box will be definitely needed to get the double track all around the garden at the very least. I will be bridging the gaps with wires and leaving a tiny gap at each set of fishplates for expansion. I think it is wise to have the soldered wires, as fishplates will be poor in all weathers for maintaining electrical conductivity. 

I shall try and get a picture of the - literally - light at the end of the tunnel from the inside of the shed. Though for the moment it will only add a few inches to each running line!

At my previous house, following some undesirable intrusions I fixed carpet gripper strip along the inside top edge of my rear garden fencing. I suspect it's illegal, but my theory was that anyone putting their hands or fingers over my fencing was up to no good anyway!

According to my local police station this is not illegal as it constitutes as part of the fence construction. As it was described to me, its not illegal to have a nail sticking out of you fence on your side .

That's pretty much what the Police told me (and they recommended carpet gripper rods, though I went with galvanised nails painted with fifth wheel grease). 

The light at the end of the tunnel:

post-8701-0-47135800-1376382565.jpgpost-8701-0-20329300-1376382573.jpg

It still needs a bit of tidying up and a coat of brown paint on those edges, but it is now possible to drive a train out through the shed wall (...and then plunge down an abyss because there's no outside track yet, but we digress....)

Archived