Spectacular journey by railbike on Norwegian railway line

norseman

Looks fantastic - I have to ask the question now about the practicalities of traffic management on the single track for all these bikes. I'm presuming that when you meet traffic going the other way, one of you does the honourable thing and stops, takes the bike off to one side to let the other one pass...

• RMweb Premium

Looks fantastic - I have to ask the question now about the practicalities of traffic management on the single track for all these bikes. I'm presuming that when you meet traffic going the other way, one of you does the honourable thing and stops, takes the bike off to one side to let the other one pass...

Maybe they operate tidal flow.

Keith

There were start times at 12noon and 4PM. It meant that you went upwards until about 2PM, took a break and then returned. We made it to the end of the line, but others with smaller children stoppen half-way were they had arranged picnic-tables. All cycles were equipped with torches and a red tail-light. But I only brought my -5 strengt sunglasses, which meant I saw absolutely nothingin the tunnels. So if someone had gone the wrong way in one of those it would have been a major train disaster meeting me! To be serious I think everyone observed the rules as they knew they would be in trouble if they had to take one of the cycles off the track in one of the long tunnels.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how Network Rail could be persuaded to open a few 'mothballed' lines for this lovely pursuit?!B)

There aren't that many lines left like that over here, and in any case, you'd need to take your lawn mower and the family chain saw.... :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Here's one for Captain K., (courtesy of Jack shortliner):

http://www.flixxy.com/invisible-railroad.htm

Worth watching (only a short)

Thanks for that, Pete. I believe I have actually seen it before, but it's well worth a second glance - all that vegetation and the seemingly casual way in which the train is being driven through it, it's the stuff of nightmares!!

Having finally managed to watch the Norwegian footage (at home), I must agree that it's a delightful past time. I suspect it is only possible, however, due to the vigilence of the local preservation group in keeping the weeds at bay....

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, Pete. I believe I have actually seen it before, but it's well worth a second glance - all that vegetation and the seemingly casual way in which the train is being driven through it, it's the stuff of nightmares!!

Be bold CK, you needn't have bothered cutting back the Teign Valley line!:lol: :P

• RMweb Gold

The government and H&S. need I say more?

If a robust Safety Case can be made for something, then it may fly. This is no different. Get an appropriately experienced, determined & funded team onto it, and it will succeed. I believe trains between Caernavon and Porthmadog are an example to all.

• RMweb Premium

As it happens, this was Bagnoles de l'Orne on Monday. As you can see the station is in need of a bit of TLC.

post-4295-0-32933200-1312450073_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting this Old d. I was in this area a few years back and I quite like Bagnoles but missed the station. Having also been there 20+ years or so ago I think a rail bridge has been removed at the top of the 'High Street? I'm sure I also spied a railcar nearby which must have been wher the station was?

We walked along part of an old line in the area and that had 'velos'; I suppose it was from Bagnoles to wherever, but I was not aware at the time. My relatives we were staying with were fascinated that I could spot old railway earthworks, sites of Xings and stations/tracks even though I was in a 'foreign country'.

In fact I'd like to explore more of France and its' old lines but can't travel so well these days.

Sincerely, Phil @ 36E

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid we are hijacking this originally Scandinavian thread - slapped wrists! Yes, I am beginning to take more of an interest in my adopted country and its lost lines, although even some of the open ones are a bit moribund. I live about 100 minutes ESE of Bagnoles, and cross at least two dead lines en route via the Route Nationale 12. The thickness of vegetation in the 4' way by the level crossing tells me that, but there are road signs warning of a working level xing! Bagnoles itself is a really odd sort of place, as you know, and like many spa towns, has those huge hotels and a genteel air at odds with the many busier towns in the area. The station is at the top of the town, backing onto woodland, and above the lake.

If you are mobility-impaired, an issue with which Deb has had to cope for the last 3 years, SNCF does pretty well in assisting your progress - at least on the TGV network - but France generally does not offer so much help in our view.

There is a rail cycle hire (velo rail) at Bagnoles, with the track to the outskirts of La Ferte Mace available, and anothere at St Loup du Gast, a little further south available to Ambreirres Les Vallees, or was last year. The latter is interesting in that one can walk along side the track, over a three arch viaduct, which is a pleasant walk. And usually quiet, I get miffed if I see any one else to disturb the peace. Quite a lot of the old railways in Mayenne have been converted into cycle and walking paths.

There is a simiar operation in Germany from Rinteln [near Hamelin] on the former Exertalbahn http://www.draisinen.de/.

The first time I visited the area the line was being used by a preservation society to run electric trains, but rail operations seem now to be confined to the section south of Alverdissen. http://www.vbe-exter...hienennetz.html, The preservation society's site is http://www.extertalbahn.de./ [sorry but the links are all in German!]

Jeremy

Archived