Southern / BR(S) Product News

burgundy

Graham

Are you aware of any mechanical or body improvements in the Hornby 2017 versions of the WC/BOB Air Streamed pacifics?  Like the new MN's I dream that Hornby will issue the body with the original Air Streamed pacific cab. My 21C107 and 21C108 cabs were not modified before the dreaded first of January 1948.

• RMweb Gold

Graham

Are you aware of any mechanical or body improvements in the Hornby 2017 versions of the WC/BOB Air Streamed pacifics?  Like the new MN's I dream that Hornby will issue the body with the original Air Streamed pacific cab. My 21C107 and 21C108 cabs were not modified before the dreaded first of January 1948.

Graham's blog gives the dates between which the condition of the two locos is appropriate.

According to "Derry", 21C159 had its cab altered before being released to traffic and 21C168 was built with the wedge-front pattern, both in late 1947.

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham for that comprehensive cover. The Hornby site is down as many have said. I must just say I am really sorry that so many people over on the Hornby thread have been so negative. What do they want really? Some folk never seem to appreciate how lucky we are and certainly there is a good deal here for us SR fans.

Modification of 35018 should be quite simple if folk are willing to fettle the existing pipework. I could see if Tony Wright might give us a 'masterclass with his bits of Brass wire. I believe there was a bend in the Ejector (was it/) Pipe as well, in a different place to the other Modified engines. Was it further back from the smokebox? I can't remember without getting my books out!

603 Squadron would be of ineterst to me...........but I think I probably have too many light Pacifics already.......probably! Do I really need another S15 (42)....ummmmm!

Plenty of stock to ponder too. What a great selection for those recently new coaches.

All the best for 2017 by the way.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Graham's blog gives the dates between which the condition of the two locos is appropriate.

According to "Derry", 21C159 had its cab altered before being released to traffic and 21C168 was built with the wedge-front pattern, both in late 1947.

John

Graham

I am not aware of any mechanical changes other than to probably the drawbar arrangement. I don't see a retooling for the original style cab coming along soon, which selfishly I am slightly happy about as it keeps my own backdated versions more unique!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The only thing that makes me a bit disappointed is the continuation of the fully fixed pony truck. It wouldn't be that much harder to give it a little movement, but it seems H are only too happy to stick with the fully fixed arrangement.

Edit: just to say that it looks a fine model otherwise :)

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Gold

Naught new from Bachmann for the OO pre-BR North Cornwall modeler. Not much was expected anyway.

Pre-BR or not, I gave up expecting anything with ex-LSWR leanings from Bachmann years ago. They seem to be happy to leave that to Hornby and DJM/Kernow who are rather more obliging in that area. Given the strength of Hornby's coverage of such prototypes in recent years, Bachmann have evidently decided that resistance is futile and are wisely concentrating their efforts on ex-LBSCR and ex-SECR items when they do make something Southern.   

Bachmann's more generalised Southern models (N Class Moguls, the recent PMV and various wagons) are very useful (and good) as are the Bulleid coaches if one is willing to invest a few hours dragging them into the 21st century. I'm hoping the new Thompsons will go down well enough to inspire similar retooling for them. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Some enterprising aftermarket manufacturer should look at a replacement moving trailing truck (NA Term).  Brass casting or 3 D printing? Springing?

I understand (but my 21C1 is in the international package distribution system, but has yet to arrive on this far shore for me to examine) that the trailing truck can be detached easily.

• RMweb Gold

Some enterprising aftermarket manufacturer should look at a replacement moving trailing truck (NA Term).  Brass casting or 3 D printing? Springing?

I understand (but my 21C1 is in the international package distribution system, but has yet to arrive on this far shore for me to examine) that the trailing truck can be detached easily.

The viability of that would depend on how much material needed to be removed from the underside of the loco to create the room needed for it to move.

It almost certainly couldn't be done as a straight "screwdriver" job. Take a look under one of Hornby's non-rebuilt Light Pacifics and you'll get an idea of the clearance needed to take a pivoted trailing truck with flanged wheels round train-set curves. Then compare it with a rebuilt one.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

The viability of that would depend on how much material needed to be removed from the underside of the loco to create the room needed for it to move.

It almost certainly couldn't be done as a straight "screwdriver" job. Take a look under one of Hornby's non-rebuilt Light Pacifics and you'll get an idea of the clearance needed to take a pivoted trailing truck with flanged wheels round train-set curves. Then compare it with a rebuilt one.

John

Why would a replacement truck have to be capable of negotiating train set curves?  A movable trailing truck replacement would not be aimed at the train set mentality market.  It could use finescale 16.5  mm gauge wheel flanges as well for clearance.  Personally I would prefer brass for the weight to help in tracking. A 3 D print version could be engineered with sliding spring pressure to keep it tracking properly and space for weight.

• RMweb Gold

Why would a replacement truck have to be capable of negotiating train set curves?  A movable trailing truck replacement would not be aimed at the train set mentality market.  It could use finescale 16.5  mm gauge wheel flanges as well for clearance.  Personally I would prefer brass for the weight to help in tracking. A 3 D print version could be engineered with sliding spring pressure to keep it tracking properly and space for weight.

If you have 3-foot radius curves, you can fit flanged wheels in the existing fixed truck. You might even get away with a bit less, my Britannia will go round 2' 6" at reasonable speeds.

The snag with an aftermarket part is that whoever makes it will have to decide what it will do and how many he wants to sell. A part that lets the loco go round (say) 2-foot curves might only sell 10% of the numbers of one that will negotiate a No.2 radius and at that level might not be worth anybody's while.

Bear in mind that there are probably no more than 10,000 of these models to start with (including the two versions that haven't arrived yet).

Take out at least 50% for those that will only ever be displayed behind glass or never even be unboxed.

Another hefty portion will go to people who never alter anything or won't be willing/able to strip the loco and saw away part of the chassis to get the replacement bit to fit and work. Then there are those of us who find the flangeless wheels preferable to how it used to be done. 

Of the "serious runners" remaining, some will have 3' curves and thus no need of the product. If you go for a 2' minimum, plenty of people who have those on the visible parts of their layouts go down to 18" where it can't be seen. On that basis, I think the potential market might be 200 to 250 units if you were very lucky. To avoid being left with any, you'd probably not make more than 150.

Viable in brass? Depends how much you can sell them for - at £20 a go, probably not worth the bother of doing the development work, making and testing a prototype, producing the kit and creating a set of instructions.

I think any aftermarket d-I-y solution that isn't universal will be doomed to failure purely on the numbers. Finding a pro model maker to modify your loco for you is probably a better bet.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Take out at least 50% for those that will only ever be displayed behind glass or never even be unboxed.

I recall quite a few years ago when discussing why manufacturers never leave space for conversion to the 'wider gauges' with one of the hobby's magazine editors I was told that according to Hornby the vast majority of any locos bought never turn a wheel and many of those do indeed never leave their box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick thanks to Graham for the MN review in April BRM. A most useful and informative article. That has enabled me to begin to consider whether I complete my planned purchase of 35028 or cancel the pre order depending on what might be coming a bit later in the form of later body options (SVs to the rear of the boiler).

I would really like one of these beautiful looking machines, however if the version of 35028 is not going to be easy to modify to 1957/8 condition I shall not go ahead with the purchase.

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

RT Models new releases

Just picked up whilst on break at work, the 4mm scale, lost wax brass bulleid rear tender ladders in lost wax brass.

These are brand new patterns, not from the existing albert goodall whitemetal ones as there is more variants as well as the pins at the top now cast as part of the ladder.

It is expected to be added to the website tomorrow evening provided im not working and will retail for £3.80 a pair, £1.90 for the single 5,250 gallon version.

These is also available the rebuilt whistle in lost wax brass.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, I did manage to add the new 4mm scale bulleid rear tender ladders before I had to go out working at the last second.

Many variants with the pins at the top.

post-8628-0-24633800-1499083952.jpeg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann held there summer press day this week with an update on a number of models the full thread can be read here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124242-Bachmann-press-day-july-2017/ 

or the SR related stuff can be found on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/07/06/Bachmann-and-graham-farish-sr-related-product-updates-july-2017/

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A brief update. 

My review of the Bachmann Birdcage Stock can be read on my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/09/08/the-first-Bachmann-ex-secr-60ft-bridcage-coach-sets-arrive/ also a version will be in the October issue of BRM magazine

Hatton's have today announced they at producing an ex SECR P Class 0-6-0 tank due for delivery this December, information here https://grahammuz.com/2017/09/11/can-i-have-a-p-please-hattons-annouce-an-ex-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-and-andrew-barclay-0-4-0-saddle-tank-in-00/ and here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/126142-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-in-oo-gauge/ 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

Concerning the P-Class just announced by Hattons.  I understand the black with the "sunshine" lettering was a wartime livery scheme and that the Maunsell green was a 20-30s scheme.  When would the Black with "Egyptian" lettering have been started?  Am I correct in assuming that this black scheme would have been sometimes after 1936ish and prior to 1941? I know this is probably a very simple question, but I don't seem to be able to find anything definitive.  I think this Hatton's model will look great on my small shunting layout.  :)

Concerning the P-Class just announced by Hattons.  I understand the black with the "sunshine" lettering was a wartime livery scheme and that the Maunsell green was a 20-30s scheme.  When would the Black with "Egyptian" lettering have been started?  Am I correct in assuming that this black scheme would have been sometimes after 1936ish and prior to 1941? I know this is probably a very simple question, but I don't seem to be able to find anything definitive.  I think this Hatton's model will look great on my small shunting layout.   :)

Well, as usual, one more search and I found my answer.  I do apologize for unnecessarily posting my question.

• RMweb Gold

For the benefit of others, as per my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/09/11/can-i-have-a-p-please-hattons-annouce-an-ex-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-and-andrew-barclay-0-4-0-saddle-tank-in-00/ the two Hatton's P Class SR Black liveries are suitable for the following dates: 

H4-P-05 No. 1555 in Southern Railway black, 1938-48

H4-P-06 No. 1558 in Southern Railway black with Sunshine lettering, 1941-48

For the benefit of others, as per my blog here https://grahammuz.com/2017/09/11/can-i-have-a-p-please-hattons-annouce-an-ex-secr-p-class-0-6-0t-and-andrew-barclay-0-4-0-saddle-tank-in-00/ the two Hatton's P Class SR Black liveries are suitable for the following dates: 

H4-P-05 No. 1555 in Southern Railway black, 1938-48

H4-P-06 No. 1558 in Southern Railway black with Sunshine lettering, 1941-48

1558 remained in that livery until July 1953, at which date it had been working at Stewarts Lane for some time, and prior to that it was at Folkestone. I think that 1555 had been at either Folkestone or Dover throughout the period in which it was in the chosen livery.

• 2 months later...