St Erth Park and Ride

• RMweb Premium

The Night Riviera has been due in at around 08.00 (give or take a little) for many years now. There are other early morning trains as well. The morning year-round flight to St. Marys has left at 09.15 or thereabouts for as long as I can remember (and that goes back to at least 1967) but there are plenty of other flights as well even in the depths of the quiet winter period.

I think the issue of the trains linking with the helicopters is a bit of a red herring as most of the time it is necessary to book well in advance to get a flight and also given that trains may be delayed the booking in time for the flight etc. and most people would allow extra time for this.

I visit the Scilly Isles every year and I will most likely stay for a couple of days in the St Mary’s this year rather than my usual day trip. I will be very saddened to see the end of the Helicopter Service, which I have travelled on many times; Penzance will not be seem same when they have gone.

XF

• RMweb Premium

Agreed. Many passengers don't rely on the early morning connection and stay overnight (or longer) in or near Penzance. The loss of the helicopters will therefore have a knock-on effect on this business in the town though it may transfer to the Newquay area instead.

I'm already looking at the possibility of a day trip in May when I'm over. Perhaps ironically for a local boy I've never made the flight.

....I'm already looking at the possibility of a day trip in May when I'm over. ....

And don't forget the small print re. delays etc., for operational reasons...

Three years ago we went over on a day trip to St. Mary's, got back to the Airport there for around 5pm to catch the flight back, we were told that flight had been cancelled, because one of the Helicopters had been withdrawn due to suspect mechanical failure at PZ - we can't fault that action for obvious reasons - but due to contractural reasons they had to deal with the Tresco people first...... then that helicopter had problems at PZ, bearing in mind there was our cancelled flight and the booked passengers for the last flight too all at St Mary's airport - we all had to stay in local accommodation at our own expense etc., (small print!!!!) great day trip, especially as I was due in London the following day (by Lunchtime).

And don't forget the small print re. delays etc., for operational reasons...

Three years ago we went over on a day trip to St. Mary's, got back to the Airport there for around 5pm to catch the flight back, we were told that flight had been cancelled, because one of the Helicopters had been withdrawn due to suspect mechanical failure at PZ - we can't fault that action for obvious reasons - but due to contractural reasons they had to deal with the Tresco people first...... then that helicopter had problems at PZ, bearing in mind there was our cancelled flight and the booked passengers for the last flight too all at St Mary's airport - we all had to stay in local accommodation at our own expense etc., (small print!!!!) great day trip, especially as I was due in London the following day (by Lunchtime).

When you book your flight with British International Helicopters you can buy travel insurance for @ £10 however you do need to read the small print. You have to be booked on at the Heliport 1 hour before the scheduled departure of your flight. As the service is half hourly it the start and end of the operational day this means that there most likely there will be a helicopter that you can catch. This clause is certainly never highlighted when you purchase your ticket plus the insurance - nice little earner me thinks!

The issue with day trips is that a lot of people including me do not stay on St Marys but travel to other islands and plan our day to get back for the last flight. I have had a few near misses on visits to the islands as what can happen is that the last helicopter back to Penzance is cancelled and you have to get a flight half an hour earlier and this occurred on a couple of occasions.

XF

I seem to recall way back in this posting mentioning the other downside to moving to NQ.

The teenagers who go on to further or higher education in PZ from the Isles, will now presumably have to go to a school near NQ and if not boarders, find digs as well, further from home.

I admit in higher education they go onto Falmouth as well, so PZ doesn't have all the answers.

Archived