The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Be safe

backofanenvelope

ok guys,

this stuff could kick off anywhere.... never say never.

Just as a safeguard wherever you are I thought about these things:

-Make sure you have mobiles on you at all times, fully charged with credit if needed

-Make sure you have milk and teabags and basic food supplies,

-Make sure you keep watching the news, If you are in the affected areas or not, as we need to know whats happenning next.

Im off bed now, goodnight and I hope to return here later on.

godbless and stay safe.

Bruce

• Like 2

Fortunately I took my lad into Birmingham last week to visit Modelzone etc... We won't be going back for a while, I think. :unsure:

Currently parked up in an Town's Industrial Estate just north of the M25 (the north of London part!)... quiet here, but you just never know....

Guest Max Stafford

Just worked trains from Bognor to Victoria and then the last one back down. Thick acrid smoke in the air at East Croydon and it looks like I managed to pass through Clapham Junction on the homeward bound run just before it really started kicking off there.

Lots of nervous and apprehensive people at London Victoria just before I set off, I was nervous too but maintained an air of confidence, reassurance and stiff upper lip for my passengers, walking through the train regularly and making sure everyone was all right.

There was a noticeable sigh of relief once we left Croydon heading south. Although I was only standing outside on the platforms at East Croydon in each direction for at most a couple of minutes, my uniform shirt still has a distinctive acrid smoky smell to it.

My thoughts tonight are with those brave members of the Police, Fire Brigade and other emergency and support services who are having to work tonight in situations way above and beyond the call of duty, also those tonight who have been affected by loss of business, property, etc.

How no-one has been killed so far I do not know.

John.

By keeping calm despite your own apprehension and looking after your passengers you too have done your bit so thanks. You'd have done just fine in 1940 with that attitude.

You stay safe too mate.

Dave.

• Like 4

News from Birmingham

04:15

Reports that in Ealing, dozens of cars parked in residential streets have been smashed up or set on fire.

The Sony distribution centre mentioned above, looks like it's completely destroyed. An eye-witness said he saw around 20 or so youths coming out of there loaded up with stolen electronic goods, before the flames took hold.

There's a report just being given at the moment about Toxteth in Liverpool. The reporter says there was a crowd of around 300 involved including kids as young as 10 or 12 taking part in the looting.

Absolutely shameful behaviour - but sadly not completely unexpected.

There seems to be a small, but vocal element of society that seems intent on ruining it for everybody else.

Stay safe out there people.

I have one of my team working the night shift in the middle of Croydon. We'll be closing up the office as soon as we can get him out safely.

Wasn't possible to evacuate the staff safely (no way to get home) so ran through the fire plan with him, made sure fire exits were known and available, then contacted the local police to say we had staff on site - provided them with land line, mobile numbers and door codes.

This was about one road away from the major area of rioting...

....and the "night shift" cracked on doing his job.

I'll be assessing whether we should re-open on Wednesday based on the news today.

Andy

Most police forces have Facebook and Twitter accounts and some have been using them to keep the public advised of what is, and in many cases what isn't happening. If you're a Twitter user and you want to keep up to date with what's happening near you, it's worth following your local force on Twitter.

Just a few of the forces mentioned in this thread:

Leicestershire: @leicspolice

West Midlands: @WMPolice

Nottinghamshire: @nottspolice

Met Police: @metpoliceuk

Merseyside: @MerseyPolice

and a shout for my local force

Bedfordshire: @bedspolice

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I'm very thankful that I live in a location far from any of the troubles and that none of my family live near any of them either. This was particularly brought home to me last night whilst watching the coverage and the fear and worry that was passing across the face of a guest of the friends that I happened to be at. With every new report the trouble was getting closer to his home (some reports put the mobs within a couple of streets) and his family and there was nothing that he could do about it, even contacting his family was difficult.

I was in Vancouver just a couple of days after the rioting there in June. Most notable was the reaction of the residents who were shocked by what had happened, voluntarily went to the site to help clean up and leave messages of support for the community. We were frequently asked if the event (a minor one by comparison with what is happening in London) had changed our view of Vancouver. We felt that the attitude of the residents we met was absolutely wonderful and strengthened our already positive view of Vancouver and it's people.

Contrast this with what's happening in London. All I seem to hear on the news is people blaming the police and the fire brigades for handling the problem badly and the politicians for creating a society that causes these problems.

My best wishes go out to anyone who has suffered in these appalling events and my strongest condemnation goes to those who are doing it, condone it or excuse it and especially those that know anyone who is involved and do nothing.

Jol

• Like 3

My best wishes go out to anyone who has suffered in these appalling events and my strongest condemnation goes to those who are doing it, condone it or excuse it and especially those that know anyone who is involved and do nothing.

Jol

What absolutely appalls me is the sheer amount of people coming on the news - having watched kids as young as 13 or 14 and in their teens, on the news, destroying shops and looting, still persist with the idea that it is ALL "dissociated youths" and that the riots have been some form of response to their "frustration at being on the fringes of society".

Sorry to burst their bubble, but the sheer number of youths who don't match that description - in designer tracksuits, trainers, hoodies and generally just going in to smash things for the sheer hell of it - make that argument poor, if not reprehensible. It was criminality, purely and simply, and to try and turn it into a politically motivated event is both laughable and an insult to people's intelligence.

My question, having driven past Mr Reeve's store this morning, is this - where were the parents in all of this?

• Like 4

The news pretty much drove me crazy with some of the 'right on' apologists they were giving airtime to last night, including some bloke from a group that calls itself 'Right To Riot'. Bet he wouldn't be so sure of his ideals if they were smashing in his house. Smug little ****.

Other than that, all I can say is that I'm glad we moved away from Birmingham when we did, although I'm a little apprehensive about going back there for my meeting today. I've heard stories from friends in London about seeing gangs of masked youths tearing past their house, must be terrifying. The Police need to go in hard with this lot, and make sure the innocent citizens are safe.

All the best, folks.

• Like 1

i think it will continue today and tonight too.

I hope to god it don't start in Leicester cause it will be disastrous for the whole community within the city.

plus the fact to get home, my dad has to travel through the city centre. i just hope he dont get trapped anywhere...

but yeah i feel for the victims.

and yes, it is just for the hell of it. there's no real excuse for it all, it is just criminally minded individuals. those who wanted to make a point held the peaceful protest, they are the smart people.

• RMweb Gold

Our thoughts must go out to all affected by this moronic behaviour by what seemily appear to be children in the most. It seems that the genie is out of the bottle now concerning the ease of communication via the social networks. Above all to all those on here 'in the firing line' please stay safe.

As an ex copper said after the Tottenham flare up part of the problem is that "we now have a police 'service' not a police 'force' "

I was not much impressed by the Home Secretary on the radio this morning whan asked "where was the water cannon and other riot control methods?" ( as was used in Ulster some time ago). Her response was we don't use 'continental methods' over here and wouldn't respond to the call for troop protection for fire appliances, ambulances etc.. In the name of sanity please think again Home Secretary.

• Like 4

I fear this is starting to head in the direction of politics. However, I've just spoken to an American colleague of mine who wanted to know why the riots kicked off in the first place. Having explained it, he then asked

"Where's the National Guard - they'd have instructions to shoot looters on sight"

I guess that falls under "Continental methods"!

• Like 2

Had to drive though Catford last night. A bit surreal. Although that area is so crap there isn't anything apart from the JD Sports worth looting. Nothing has spread to the boring borough yet but who knows what will happen tonight. Bexleyheath would be a soft target. I was reading about some force in the US that was considering using modified paintball guns in these situations. Tag the b*stards with the same dye used in security dyepacks then round up anyone that looks like a Smurf over the following days.

To me this whole thing proves a couple of points.

The Met isn't fit for purpose.

Social engineering has failed

Politicians will use anything to score points

• Like 10

I fear this is starting to head in the direction of politics. However, I've just spoken to an American colleague of mine who wanted to know why the riots kicked off in the first place. Having explained it, he then asked

"Where's the National Guard - they'd have instructions to shoot looters on sight"

I guess that falls under "Continental methods"!

I guess so. If that policy were implemented, however, I don't think it would be too long before it was all over!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Meeting violence with greater violence only ups the ante.

Meeting wanton destruction and lawlessness with firm resolve and zero-tolerance might seem preferable but also a little idealistic.

Between those two there is a fine balance and a need to restore law and order. Bringing troops onto the streets will only inflame passions and exacerbate the violent response in the short term in my opinion. We are then faced with the same conundrum as existed in Northern Ireland for many years; what role do they play on a day-to-day basis and when do they leave?

However based on the experience of the 80s from Brixton and other areas there is limited life to the novelty value in this sort of behaviour and the worst of the spontaneous copy-cat actions may fizzle out after a couple more days. The safety valve will have been released and tensions lowered to a somewhat more manageable level. Normal policing may then be adequate to deal with the determined ringleaders and remaining hot spots of trouble.

Whether the availability and immediacy of social networking has had much to do with the events may come out in the wash. News travels pretty quickly by all sorts of methods. Thirty-odd years ago it did so by word of mouth and land-line phones.

In Australia we are seeing patchy news reports with no real way of knowing whether a 5-second clip of something is a true reflection of the overall situation or not. Just as the classic footage of police charging through Trafalgar Square on horseback during the Poll Tax Riot does not altogether fairly reflect the full nature of day's events; I was there - it was largely peaceful until something or someone triggered the violence.

Stay safe over there and don't let the unruly element grind you down.

• Like 1

We appreciate that understandably feelings are running high here and the admin team, like everyone else, has complete sympathy for those innocent people who have lost their homes and businesses or had their property damaged, and we hope that no member of the forum is directly affected. Nevertheless, you all know the forum rule on this kind of topic, so we ask that you post sensibly (as most of you have been).

Water cannons-if we've got enough (no point having one or two because all the yobs will do is to text each other to go to a new location), hopefully they'll b****r their Blackberries! What about baton rounds (rubber bullets) as used in Northern Ireland?

I have some idea of what the residents are going through. In our previous house we had the car torched which then set fire to the tree right next to the house; on another occasion they kicked our front garden wall to bits and then went up the road using the bricks to smash windows and mirrors on the cars parked in the street.

The Home Secretary was banging on about "bringing the perpetrators to justice". That's no bloody good because IT'S TOO LATE. Get the Police, Army or whatever on the streets NOW to stop it, otherwise I can see vigilante groups starting and then God knows where it will end.

As others have said-I am frightened. Best wishe to all who are caught up in this.

Ed

• Like 2

Meeting violence with greater violence only escalates a problem and causes longer term resentment.

The police need to control the situation and they will eventually do so, bringing in the army, rubber bullets et al is not the answer.

who said owt about violence? the army could just boost the numbers.

My eldest was trapped in Peckham last night, was bit of a worry to be honest but she is ok, thank god. Is it just me or did our home Sec look a bit scared on the news this morning? did not fill me with any confidence at all. I guess we will have to keep our heads down a hope it does not kick off again tonight but not very hopefull on that front.

Well my son wife and I got out of Brum just as things were kicking off. We were sat in Jamie Olivers restaurant window having a meal an hour before the windows were smashed, we tried getting back to New St through the Bullring but were told that they were closing and the doors were being locked. Luckily as we had a buggy we had to use the subway lifts at New st so we didn't go via the Pallasades ramp which is where it was starting. Police presence was high by then and that was about 6.10pm. Scary stuff.