Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Are compatible inks any good.

arran

• RMweb Premium

They are somewhat of a lottery, but I've been using compatibles in Epsons (400, R300 and SX215) for >10 years with no major issues, although they do seem to dry out faster than original carts. IMX.

Hi Arran

I have never had any issue with compats for my Canon IP4000 and we use compats for work in both inkjets (Epsons) and lasers (HP's) without problem. The only thing I would say is that if it is under warranty then it might be better to use manufacturers cartridges as it will invalidate warranty if you do.

Tom

All the compatible cartridges are the same as original, but get an assurance from the supplier, there are lots of small differences to each original makers compatibility, inkjet is not just inkjet!, but as long as a branded replacement, they have done the homework to supply the same ink.

Stephen.

Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I had no end of problems with my HP printer with these bargain ink packages, all of which were resolved by returning to the HP brand.

It may well be different with other printer makes.

The differences between makers are commercial secrets, but are the solvent type, and additions of inert metallic salts that help stop fading by proofing against UV light.

Re-Manufactured Cartridges are usually OK, the area that you must check on carefully with the supplier are the bulk bottles, some have very vague claims as to what can be filled. Get it wrong an the Cartridge may be damaged

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

My parents used compatible inks in an epson printer. After several refills the printer failed. The inks had not done the print head any good.

• RMweb Premium

My parents used compatible inks in an epson printer. After several refills the printer failed. The inks had not done the print head any good.

The price differential between OEM and compatible inks is so huge though that it is often cheaper to use comaptibles and bin the printer after a few refills than use OEM inks and keep the printer forever.

• RMweb Gold

Only thing I would add to wise advice above is to say that probably compatible inks are least risky if the printer is in regular, e.g. daily, use - the drying out is less likely to happen. For many home users the printer sees occasional bursts of activity, and that can spell trouble. As spamcan61 points out, the cheapest printers are the least £ risk, while photo-printers and other more exotic types would make the investment in the real mccoy cartridges seem sensible.

The other thing to bear in mind is that some manufacturers (Epson for sure) have a chip fitted to certain types of their print cartridges that makes them effectively impossible to refill and reuse.I suspect they hold data on ther quantity of remaining ink in the cartridge and once it hits zero then the printer believes it no longer has that colour available and declines to print anymore. A sweet way of making you buy their product.

Ian_B

• RMweb Premium

I've never found DIY refilling worth the mess/hassle when you can buy compatible carts for under a quid each. Good point though to always check that any 'compatible' carts do have the appropriate chip so they can fool the printer.

My epson R300 did decide to stop printing at one point due to the usual 'waste ink tank full' scam, but a 99p reset CD off of ebay got round that, been going fine for another two years. The CD should allow ink levels to be reset etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPSON-PRINTER-RESET-REPAIR-CD-R200-R300-AND-MORE-/300579830745?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_Printers_Printers_JN&hash=item45fbf43bd9

(Climbs onto soapbox and after a wheeze...)

Get a laser printer, they are very reasonably priced (including a set of cartridges) and you never have to worry about about ink drying out. Colour cartridges are good for 1000 pages (black for 1500).

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

(Climbs onto soapbox and after a wheeze...)

Get a laser printer, they are very reasonably priced (including a set of cartridges) and you never have to worry about about ink drying out. Colour cartridges are good for 1000 pages (black for 1500).

Cheers

John

Agreed, it looked like I was going to need to do a fair bit of printing a while back, and I seriously considered a Dell 1320CN, seemed the best combination of up front printer cost and compatible toner cartridge cost.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=a8T&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=dell+1320cn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=250280360084339568&sa=X&ei=U0xBTsbQGMe7hAf74qC-CQ&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAA

There's also the cheaper Samsung lasers, but it seems trickier getting compatible toner carts for them:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003LVIHFA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003LVGLXA&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=09A4EEDPJ96MRAS2M75T

• RMweb Premium

I have had two different printers in the last five years. The only reason for changing was that it was cheaper to buy a new Printer/Scanner than to replace the broken scanner and keep the old printer!

I have found with HP printers that Black compatible cartridges work fine but the colour ones give a lot of trouble so I buy cheap Black ones and the real Colour ones.

Chris

compatible inks are least risky if the printer is in regular, e.g. daily, use - the drying out is less likely to happen.

Often, those who do complain about their printer heads drying up mention that they hadn't used the printer for a while. I habitually switch on and print a short test piece regularly betweentimes. When using an Epson R200, I found that Jettec cartridges, while not the cheapest compatibles, were pretty reliable. But I won't insult my beloved Epson 1400 A3+ printer with anything less than Epson originals! (usual disclaimer)

I have used third party cartridges and whilst they were OK for document printing they gave disappointing results for photographs-; a definate colour cast and the photos faded very quickly. But perhaps I was just unlucky with my choice of cartridges. I'll give Andy Y's link a shot.

I have an Epson S20 printer and during the cartridge changing process a screen pops up advising that the use of non-Epson cartridges will be recorded (assuming by some hidden printer software) and will invalidate any guarantee or maintenance agreement. I'm typing this from memory so can't quote the exact wording. I'm not sure if other manufacturers do the same but if a printer is still under guarantee it is probably safer to stick to the proper cartridges.

I think you can get a little gizmo to reset the chips on cartridges if you are going to refill them, but as you are going to have to break the seal on the cartridge (or drill a hole in it) in order to refill it there is a greater risk of ink leaking out and damaging the printer.

• RMweb Premium

I have an Epson S20 printer and during the cartridge changing process a screen pops up advising that the use of non-Epson cartridges will be recorded (assuming by some hidden printer software) and will invalidate any guarantee or maintenance agreement. I'm typing this from memory so can't quote the exact wording. I'm not sure if other manufacturers do the same but if a printer is still under guarantee it is probably safer to stick to the proper cartridges.

Unless it's an expensive printer then it's probably still cheaper to use compatibles and replace the printer if they do kill it.

I would agree that OEM carts will give more consistent colour, but these days the only photos I bother printing at home are quick ones for parties or whatever, if I need 'proper' photo prints I use Photobox or similar, far less hassle and probably cheaper anyway, at least for postcard size.

EDIT:

Looking specifically at the Epson S20:-

printer cost = 40 quid

OEM ink cart set = 35 quid

compat. ink cart set = 12 quid (double the ink capacity)

So, assuming the printer dies after two sets of compatibles, total cost

using OEM ink 40 + 35 + 35 + 35 + 35 = 180 quid

using compat. ink 40 + 12 + 12 + 40 (assuming new printer needed) = 104 quid!

ink prices from here:-

http://www.internet-ink.co.uk/epson-ink-cartridges-stylus-S20/

The price differential between OEM and compatible inks is so huge though that it is often cheaper to use comaptibles and bin the printer after a few refills than use OEM inks and keep the printer forever.

I recently retired my Epson Stylus 880 after 12 years' service. Most of it was on compatible cartridges. In some cases, I just refilled an original cartridge, and the printer simply kept going. It only needed to be reset once, but the cartridges themselves had no "chip" built in, so I wasn't limited as to what I could use. In the end, however, I think I had a print head failure, as no ink emerged regardless of what cartridge I installed.

If anyone out there thinks they can repair it, they're welcome to take it off me. Free. The carriage return mechanism, etc. still works perfectly.

I'm now using another Epson - a Stylus SX130, which seems to be able to do about three times the functions that the old 880 had....!

• RMweb Premium

Although my 11 year old Epson stylus 400 has been retired from front line service it still works, never used OEM carts in it at all. Main problem that lead to its retirement was the lack of printer port on newer PCs, which meant using a USB to parallel adaptor, which was always a bit iffy.