Mill Lane

SquireBev

perhaps doing the same location twice, once in the late 40's / early 50's and then doing it in the 80's on the other side

I like the sound of this. Busy station with goods yard on one side, and a run-down bus shelter affair on the other.

When the buildings are in I don't think you will notice the crinkles in the backscene because people will have better things to look at :P

I have had several problems with backscenes; which adhesive to use, expansion & contraction, cockling etc

On my recent O gauge layout, there was some cockling / creasing of the backscene,

despite my efforts to ensure the adhesive was as even as possible....

A suggestion from SWMBO was to iron the creases out

and you know what..... It worked!

... however, I was then told "while that iron is hot........" ;)

Maybe worth a try if you can remove the backscene?

Place a clean teatowel over the backscene, to protect it...

Cheers

Marc

Sounds like a good idea, but my backscene is pretty firmly fixed in place. Plus, my iron is crap.

No news on any more buildings yet - current enthusiasm is being directed toward a new wargaming project.

As for the plans we've come up with for the other side of the layout, here goes...

We're going to make an Underground U.N.I.T Bunker!

The idea is to have the backscene and the sides a combination of bare rock and concrete walls, with big blast doors rather than normal tunnel portals for the track to emerge through. There'll be a ceiling too, maybe the thickness of a Knauf space board (as I have a spare) with normal fields, trees etc on top.

Inside the cavern there'll be a loading dock with a queue of Bedford lorries and Saracens/Saladins waiting to be loaded into the train, and a few Nissen huts etc built into the rock face.

One tunnel portal may have some Alien tentacles emerging from it, and some soldiers on a gantry firing down the tunnel. Additionally, on the "surface" will be more Aliens digging down into the cavern from above.

I can't promise that having a plan will mean work progresses any quicker, though. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the summer holiday coming up, I'm determined to get at least the two rows of houses built, and hopefully make a start on the pub.

Reckon I can squeeze in a row of three small shops too, so any suggestions for what they should be would be appreciated! One of them will have to be a chippy, but I'm a bit stumped with the other two.

Just picked up on this thread, I love the way you are making the most of the space and showing what can be done in what must be about the minimum space for a continuous run in 00! Other than the tightness of the curve, the scene does not appear overly contrived. The deep cutting and Northern-town surroundings really frame the layout.

A couple of thoughts. A little green over the black at the bottom of the retaining walls would give a damp moss-ridden feel, and tone down the black a little. Also the signal box needs to be at track level, if you think about the way the 'box connects to the signals and points using cables and metal rods you'll see that can't really work with it 10-ft up a cliff.

As for the other side, how about a secret arms depot accessed from a small tunnel alongside the mainline, with it's own internal network of sidings and narrow-gauge railway. Sci-fi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_Tunnel

http://www.nettleden.com/venues/

;)

Good thinking about the mossy stonework. That's something I can do this week.

As for the signal box, I see what you mean, but it'll have to do, as there's nowhere else to put it. Perhaps I could get away with some trunking running down to track level. Maybe.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Limited space was the main factor in planning this layout, and as you say, this is pretty much the minimum space for a continuous run.

Oh, and it's just as well that we've not really done anything on the other side just yet, as we discovered the other day that our roof leaks, and that side of the layout got rather dripped on.

As for the signal box, I see what you mean, but it'll have to do, as there's nowhere else to put it. Perhaps I could get away with some trunking running down to track level. Maybe.

Forward and right a bit would put it at track level opposite the platform, or at the right-hand-side of the layout near the overbridge perhaps? The thing is we're talking about mechanical linkages here, so trunking wouldn't do it. Even where tracks are in deep cuttings space is made for the signal box at track level. The only exceptions are very crowded urban stations where the signal boxes are very tall and narrow, or even on a gantry, but they are a somewhat different style of 'box... do a Google image search for Signal Box and you'll see what I mean.

The bonus is you'd get a small piece of land for another scenic feature...

I hope you got the roof fixed, lucky it sounds like the damage was limited.

• RMweb Gold

Alternatively use the exact site where the 'box is now but cut away the embankment to rail level about 4mm oversize and build retaining walls around the rear and sides, then pop the box back in at rail level?.

Archived