Mill Lane

SquireBev

Morning folks, thought I'd post a briefing on mine and my boyfriend's in-progress layout.

We've decided to split it down the middle, and work on half each. My side will be an urban scene, with a lot of soot-blackened houses, high retaining walls, and so on, heavily inspired by Tetley Mills. His side will be more rural, and will be full of weird and wonderful things like Martian tripods, Zulu warriors, and German railway artillery. My own fault for giving him carte blanche I suppose.

Anyway, the plan for my side looks rather like this:

small%20layout.jpg

The idea being that the town is about 6 inches higher than the track level, and the track is faced by high retaining walls, such as you might find between Garforth and Leeds, or Pudsey and Bradford.

I've not made a huge amount of progress so far, but here's a few photos documenting what progress I have made:

DSCF1550.JPG

Decided to use phono plugs to connect the controller to the board, and then normal wiring to take the power to the track. Makes it easier to move around to the other side of the layout if need be

DSCF1555.JPG

Had a lot of stock in the cellar from my old layout, so obviously my main priority was to get the track laid and start playing :P

DSCF1563.JPG

Got the "Berlin Wall" installed down the middle, and painted my side of the board to stop it looking so start. Admittedly it now looks like it's been smeared with Nutella, but nevermind.

DSCF1642.JPG

Experimented with DAS clay to make the paving surface of my goods dock. Not entirely happy with the results, but it was just a test. Learnt a few lessons that I'll carry through to my next attempt.

DSCF1650.JPG

Also gave my old Skaledale signal box a repaint to replace the green with crimson, and bring out the detail a bit.

DSCF1646.JPG

That's all for now. Hopefully picking up some insulation board today to make my raised section.

Hi

Nice layout, and I do like your singal box improvements.

The Knauf board is indeed good.I used it for my test layout and now using it as my baseboard on my layout. Hoping this allows me to channel some details/ditches into the scene. It's also a lot lighter than alternatives!

Looks like your near enough there, but a Jigsaw makes quick work of the insulation board (better late than never)

Keep them updates rolling!

Regards

Lee :)

Got the second layer of spaceboard in place, but it's still half an inch or so too low for my liking. Will have to try and pick up some polystyrene tiles or something of that ilk. Maybe foamboard from an art shop.

DSCF1653.JPG

Off to Frizinghall models tomorrow - hopefully will find some decent stonework for my retaining walls, and a station building to kitbash.

I should point out that I work in a school, which is why I've got all this time off, in case you're wondering how I can afford to be unemployed all week and build a layout. dry.gif

Hehe, Don't worry, I doubt anybody would judge you for speding lots of time on a layout (otherwise I'm in a lot of trouble :P )

I do like the DAS clay paving! If anything, I'd say the scale looks a bit big, but the technique (the important bit of the test) looks great!

Enjoying watching your layout grow so fast (what better way to spend the school holidays! )

Regards

Station building, before and after weathering.

DSCF1657.JPG

DSCF1658.JPG

DSCF1660.JPG

DSCF1661.JPG

Still need to put the glazing in of course, and then find some suitable posters for the boards. Also need to touch up the window frames where the glue has ruined the paintwork.

Advice please gentlemen.

I've been planning what sorts of buildings to have on the town section of my side, and I've made a diagram.

However, I've run out of ideas for what to put in the remaining space. Please feel free to fire away suggestions.

LayoutBuildings.png

The station looks great! I've been planning to get round to making my station for weeks so you've put me to shame lol!

As for the spare space, Allotments, gardens, a church/yard, school, overgrown scrubland with a couple of old trollies, a traffic cone and all the other gubbins that go with it?

regards

Slight progress - been working on the platform.

Put another layer of card on the surface to stop it curling up, and given it all a good coating of PVA before I attempt anything with the clay. This took a bit longer than it should've because I had to strip the glue layer and start again, due to stuff getting embedded in it while drying.

So this morning I've built up the structure using balsa blocks and card strips. Will need to find some more Slaters plasticard for the facings.

Anyway, photographic evidence both of my progress, and my lack of a proper workbench.

DSCF1663.JPG

DSCF1664.JPG

Archived