Mill Lane

SquireBev

• RMweb Gold

It's definitely 4' by 4'6", because that's how I planned and built it. :P

Within the confines of space and trainset track geometry this is looking great.

- though I usually model ScR but have always been interested in the L&Y railway too, I dont think your wrong to use open country as the backscene, there are plenty places in Calderdale and the Colne Valley where industrial borders straight onto open country in real life. Perching railway buildings above rail level also adds to that 'steep-sided' pennine valley feel. Keep it coming!

Cheers :D

I'm hoping to have the footbridge done by next week, and then that'll be the lower level pretty much finished aside from platform furniture.

Been drawing up plans on Adobe Illustrator for mill buildings and terraced houses for the upper level.

I know what you mean, but once on it's very difficult to get it off again!

a wash of grey muck might help tone the black down and blend it into the stonework.

I rarely use black to weather things these days, if I do it's a slight rub

Decided against extending it outwards to have a waiting room under the structure, as it wouldn't leave much platform clearance.

Instead, I'm going to put some timber-built shelters further along the platform, and I've added some canopies to either side of the bridge structure:

DSCF1992.JPG

DSCF1993.JPG

And here's an overall shot. The buildings on the upper level are just placeholders for now.

DSCF1994.JPG

The sooty grime? Yeah, it didn't come out as I'd hoped. Any suggestions to blend it in a bit?

And yeah, always wanted a Class 110. Though I might just change the destination blinds on my 108 to Bradford and Huddersfield.

Oh, and I can't decide whether to use Orange NER or Maroon LMR signage, as I believe the Calder Valley was a no-man's-land of sorts.

The L&Y heritage of the lines would suggest LMR, but all the colour photos I've seen of Halifax station in the 60s show an NER colour scheme.

Can anyone offer information on where the lines were drawn?

Just what I wanted to know, thanks very much.

So that's a pretty definite case for NER signage then. I did toy with the idea of modelling some workmen going along the platform replacing the maroon signs with orange ones, but if the transfer happened in 1950 they'd be a decade behind schedule...

Really liking this idea... Might have to see is SWMBO is keen... Looking forward to seeing the other side of the layout develop as well... It could be rather an interesting journey for your passengers...

On a side note, I *really* want to raid your bookshelf...

• RMweb Premium

Of course, if he has lost interest them you could claim the other side and build a rather nice looking open country scene. If he has been cutting the polystyrene formers with those nail clippers, I can see why he may have got bored ;)

You could try a kitchen carving knife on the insulation board or even an old bread knife.

Don

Might be a bit late, but for anyone else about to do it or for future scenic work, I'm told an electric carving knife works well for producing car seats in classic car restoration, so might work here?

Of course, if he has lost interest them you could claim the other side and build a rather nice looking open country scene. If he has been cutting the polystyrene formers with those nail clippers, I can see why he may have got bored ;)

I'll just keep dropping hints and we'll see what happens.

On a side note, I *really* want to raid your bookshelf...

Anything in particular? :P

Archived