RMweb

All six surviving A4s to be reunited in 2013?

Bon Accord

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to having very mixed feelings about this. If the NRM has secured commercial sponsorship or will make a profit out of the venture then all well and good but otherwise it is simply devoting to this project money which could have been spent (perhaps 'better spent'?) elsewhere, such as returning 'Mallard' to mainline condition for the anniversay - particularly in an era of belt-tightening in the public finances. So if we are to get this then let's not get moaning about other projects the Museum isn't taking up at this time or in the next couple of years because surely 2 additional A4s on parade are, livery and minor details apart, simply more of an existing same (and I won't be copping either of themsad.gif).

Right, hair shirt mode more or less overwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

I agree seeing Mallard run again would be more of a draw for me than shipping over two more, or how about getting the current full blue masquerader into silver and having that Mallard, Sir Nigel in it's BR blue and the other in Green all on a four part East Coast tour? 4 A4's on one train in different liveries on their stamping ground, cheaper and more memorable surely? If they can organise a one way fast run for Tornado then with a bit of planning a four part tour on a weekend should be possible.

Although I think her record should stand as breaking it today with any loco not in it's original service condition makes it invalid as they aren't service engines to me. That was the magic of those records, the same engine that hauled your train could do it, none of these rewheeled tgv's or roller-skates with phantom engines strapped on ;)

• RMweb Premium

Can we get Mallard restored to have another crack at the record, on High Speed 1 perhaps?

Why not let Tornado have a go? It is newer and built to modern standards. Now there would be an interesting idea Steam Special from St Pancras to Gare du Nord, straight throught the tunnel! Eurotunnel would have a few million kittens if it was ever proposed seriousely!

Chris

Can we get Mallard restored to have another crack at the record, on High Speed 1 perhaps?

Isn't HS1 a little too hilly for steam engines? In any case, I thought the principle objection to steam engines travelling at over 75mph was the position of the cab and the prospect that the driver might be unsighted because of the exhaust.

Regards

I heard this rumour from a reliable source only tonight. If it happens then great, I'll be there. If not, then I like the idea of four A4s lined up in different liveries...I'll be there for that too.

As for anyone going for the speed record, forget it.

Why not have a session repainting all 6.

LNER 2 tone grey (Bittern) has carried this before

LNER Garter blue

LNER Apple green

LNER wartime black

BR experimental blue

BR (aka GWR) green

I think that the Doncaster green on an A4 would look v good.

Seriously lets wait until the 2 over the pond are back home before debating if they should stay here.

Is it me (or my ISP) but has Sir Hadyn's post vanished from this thread?

Nope, think your right...it's not appearing on my lap top either :unsure:

I was over in Green Bay WI this May. It will be interesting shuffle to get the A4 out of there, its on an isolated length of track with may be a couple of foot behind the coaches to play with, so my guess it would have to be lifted and shuffled sideways moved to the other side of the building to the only connected road, passed a Big Boy and a GG1, the fourth road as a couple of passenger cars that are the easy to move out the way.

Here is a pic of her in May

post-429-0-07716800-1313238002_thumb.jpg

A nice idea, but a hideous waste of money by the preservation movement in my view. Personally, I prefer to remember them as they were, when they worked for a living, rather than the artificial existance the survivors have now.

I find this kind of sentiment puzzling. If you prefer to "remember them as they were" why bother with preservation (or a forum dedicated to it) at all?

Odd.

....if the "lost sisters" do get back "home" it'll be a nice touch to have them restored to running condition ...

"Dominion of Canada" remains essentially in the condition that it was handed over to the Canadian heritage authorities. That is to say, the boiler was in very bad condition and would not be steamable again. You need a completely new boiler for this one, or somebody's going to have to be very nice to Jeremy Hosking who got his bargain Diag.107 boiler from the resources of "Flying Scotsman".

I'm not sure that the internal condition of "Dwight D. Eisenhower" is particularly good either.

Still, preservation is essentially feeling good about wasting money. That's why we all enjoy it!

• RMweb Gold

Still, preservation is essentially feeling good about wasting money

Succint as usual Ivan :) I'd rather see a few years of return for that money rather than a brief flash and then shipping the work back to the colonies, although DDE does seem to have been rather better appreciated than DoC. . .

• RMweb Gold

It went because it got me in big trouble. BIG trouble.

Very sorry to hear that because at least it would have put a stop to some of the wilder comments we have heard such as 'deciding to keep them once we've got them' or 'let's restore XXXXX to working order' etc. If your boss wants it kept confidential at this stage perhaps it would make sense for this thread to be locked so making sure that at least this is one place on the 'net where it won't be the subject of speculation and 'ambitious extrapolation'?

• RMweb Gold

I agree as the cat was out of the bag on one of the main magazines sites the quote was a welcome immediate clarification to stop froth. I suppose we will see a similar statement in the magazines next issue. Shame to spoil a nice idea with premature release but still not one I'd call groundbreaking in concept.

The last line up wasn't all roses as many who'd gone to the museum couldn't get decent shots even when they'd paid to go in the coralle. I'd still say the NRM needs to focus it's funds or donations on getting exhibits that tell more of the story of railways rather than repeating items already here in numbers. I also think some UK locos abroad is a good thing to help their museums tell a wider story.

In regard to repatriation one off survivors are worth trying to return but not those of a class we have several perfect specimens of already ;)

Archived