RMweb

A3 being dug up

Welly

Thought you meant some long lost buried Gresley Pacific there for a moment!

Having just Shotover to find a rather Tranquil Enterprise (it was a Fairway to travel, but I am much refreshed by a Salmon Trout Sandwich at the local Harvester), all I could find was a Grand Parade of Ladas. Are you some sort of Humourist?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having just Shotover to find a rather Tranquil Enterprise (it was a Fairway to travel, but I am much refreshed by a Salmon Trout Sandwich at the local Harvester), all I could find was a Grand Parade of Ladas. Are you some sort of Humourist?

Nah, I reckon he's just a Windsor Lad who had been stuck in Colombo on his way home from a trip to Singapore and while chewing the Spearmint gum decided to ignore Book Law, celebrate his Diamond Jubilee, not help his missus as her Woolwinder. miss out some golf on the Fairway, but grab some Manna from heaven in the form of a play on words, or letters. Trouble is it wouldn't have amused Sir Frederick Banbury or even Dick Turpin.

We passed through the new tunnels on our recent trip to Portsmouth from Scarborough, a long drive made a lot easier by these impressive structures. When we told the receptionist at the hotel that we'd come through them she seemed genuinely excited and asked what they were like.

It's great that the old road is being returned to nature.

Now if only the Highways Agency would dual the A64 cart track into Scarborough before it strangles the town for good.

At least we've still got the railway! :yes:

• RMweb Gold

If you scroll through the BBC photos there's one with a caption that says: "The machinery breaking up the road surface, which was built in the 1830s, can remove up to 700 tonnes of tarmac per day."

I had no idea the Stephensons had diversified into road planing machinery... ;)

• Like 1

So when the tunnel is blocked by a serious accident, where's the alternative route?

Rob

Presumably the same as if the old A3 was blocked in that area. It isn't like they are reducing the number of roads. Also remember that there are two bores, so a contraflow could potentially be set up in the unaffected bore..

Adrian

If you scroll through the BBC photos there's one with a caption that says: "The machinery breaking up the road surface, which was built in the 1830s, can remove up to 700 tonnes of tarmac per day."

I had no idea the Stephensons had diversified into road planing machinery... ;)

It probably hadn't been resurfaced since then. either......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So when the tunnel is blocked by a serious accident, where's the alternative route?

Rob

Rob

The tunnel is two bores each with two lanes. In normal running one bore is northbound and the other South. Should one tunnel bore be blocked due to either an accident of maintenance then contra-flow running will take place in the other bore (as has been happening for the last four nights due to maintenance) My company provided the clever illuminated road studs that are switchable beween normal running and contra flow running conditions.

• RMweb Premium

Ok you're more local to the site than me, but I would have thought leaving the old road as an alternative would be a wise move. There can't be many instances of a major A road being "put back to nature" . So if the tunnel is completely blocked in both directions, what would be the way round it? Don't say it'll never happen. roadworks one side, accident the other?

Rob

Ok you're more local to the site than me, but I would have thought leaving the old road as an alternative would be a wise move. There can't be many instances of a major A road being "put back to nature" . So if the tunnel is completely blocked in both directions, what would be the way round it? Don't say it'll never happen. roadworks one side, accident the other?

Rob

Surely its only the same as if there hadn't been a older route?

• RMweb Premium

When you had just the A3 you had the alternate route A283/B2131, as in the post above by Industrial. Obviously that still exists. My point was you now have the new route which if blocked would see the A3 as the alternate, a much better road than the previous alternate, and you still have the A283/B2131 as well i.e. 2 alternates. Seems short-sighted to remove a good quality road, but maybe other factors are at play, environmental?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

When you had just the A3 you had the alternate route A283/B2131, as in the post above by Industrial. Obviously that still exists. My point was you now have the new route which if blocked would see the A3 as the alternate, a much better road than the previous alternate, and you still have the A283/B2131 as well i.e. 2 alternates. Seems short-sighted to remove a good quality road, but maybe other factors are at play, environmental?

Rob

I agree it's short sighted, they've done the same with the A354 into Weymouth now the Olympic relief road is in place, to make sure folks get to the gridlock in central Weymouth that little bit more quickly.

• RMweb Gold

The route of the old A3 (a very heavily used single carriageway road) was a blight across the Devil's Punchbowl which is a famed area of outstanding natural beauty.

Replacing the one remaining bottleneck on the A3 with a dual carriageway and contingency with the use of twin bore tunnels, this is one road new construction project that had pretty much full support from the environmental lobby.

• Like 1