MLV Pre-production shots

St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

I stumbled across these interesting workings last week, taken during the heavy snows in Kent, January 1987, when EMUs were being hauled by locos and all sorts of odd formations were seen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twydallaer/14091989841/in/set-72157644478770621

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twydallaer/13908605067/in/set-72157644478770621

There's a hint (but no proof unfortunately) that a formation of  33 + MLV + EPB + Deicing Coach + EPB might actually have happened...

I've been planning a model of this time, so I can't wait to get my Jaffa Cake MLV and cover it in snow :-D

Mal

I stumbled across these interesting workings last week, taken during the heavy snows in Kent, January 1987, when EMUs were being hauled by locos and all sorts of odd formations were seen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twydallaer/14091989841/in/set-72157644478770621

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twydallaer/13908605067/in/set-72157644478770621

There's a hint (but no proof unfortunately) that a formation of  33 + MLV + EPB + Deicing Coach + EPB might actually have happened...

I've been planning a model of this time, so I can't wait to get my Jaffa Cake MLV and cover it in snow :-D

Mal

Yes I remember helping to couple a few of those together in the early part of that week - basically anything to everything mainly because it was possible to do that on the SR (once upon a time)............

Highlight was probably cab-riding a 56 with an 8-EPB in tow from Gillingham to CX.......

Latest arrivals on Newton Broadway are the three Motor Luggage Vans from Bachmann. They are in London & South East 'jaffa cake' livery, Post Office red livery and Network South East livery. The PO and NSE ones are actually the same van (68004) at slightly different times in its life, so the NSE one will be renumbered soon. At this point all are running on DC but I will be fitting decoders soon - I find the Lenz ones work particularly well with the Bachmann EMUs but if I don't have any of those, TCS EU621 decoders also work well.

ThreeMLVs-LSEPONSE-1cropped_zpsb341c720.

ThreeMLVs-LSEPONSE-2enh_zps64931853.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just got a brand new 419 MLV from Hattons and it sounds like its running in sand.

Opened it up (nightmare) and traced the noise to the motor itself, makes the noise when being powered and not turning anything.

What on earth can it be?

Also, no number on the front is that right?

Am in touch with Hattons who have offered to refund but I really want the model so would like a fix and hate messing about with returns etc.

Here is a low res video to let you hear.

Thanks

Mike

This  mechanism on  the  Bachmann   is  usually  impeccable  in all the units  that  I  have  owned  personally  and  the  group I model  with  there  has  never  been  a  failure  or  a  problem  and  a  quick  'tot up' puts  that   at  around  35 units.

i  would  send  it  back  Hattons  will refund  your  postage  or  if  asked  will usually  email you  a  prepaid  collect=plus  label you can  use. 

Re  your  comment  about  removing  the  body,  the  LMLV  is  by  far  the  easiest  to  remove,  of  the  3  current  EMUs!  Although  one  you  have   done  2  or  3  it  gets  easy,  I  can  usually  get  the  body  of a  4 CEP powere  car  fit  a  decoder  and  have  it  all back  up  and  running in  about  15 mins,  first  one  took around  90mins  +  a lot  of  Cursing!!

Shhould  have  added  no  route  numbers is  correct,

The  MLV  is  different  from  the  other  2  units   (CEP  & EPB) from  Bachmann  in  that  the  indicator  panels  are  set  up  with  reversing colours  .  The  Thumpers  are  similar

I just got a brand new 419 MLV from Hattons and it sounds like its running in sand.

Opened it up (nightmare) and traced the noise to the motor itself, makes the noise when being powered and not turning anything.

What on earth can it be?

Also, no number on the front is that right?

Am in touch with Hattons who have offered to refund but I really want the model so would like a fix and hate messing about with returns etc.

Here is a low res video to let you hear.

Thanks

Mike

First thing I thought when listening to the noise was a problem with the drive shaft that sticks out from the motor.  There were problems with this on the Class 37s.  It sounds like it's slipping and might needing pushing back in.  If you're happy to open up the unit further and get access to the motor, you'll see a thin shaft sticking out from it.  See if it's loose and needs clicking back into place.

Thanks all, very sadly (I don't like giving up on models) I traced the noise down to the actual motor! all looks OK but it is still making the grinding noise.

This is not right for a brand new item so its heading back in a pre paid box.

Have asked for a replacement, lets hope its better.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening all.

I have just acquired a green SYP MLV and what a delightful model it is. However, running it on rolling road (layout currently packed away) only one set of wheels (nearest the cab end) is actually rotating, though the motor sounds smooth enough and nothing else appears untoward. My question is , before I start taking it to bits to investigate, is only one axle powered or do I have a Friday afternoon special? Sorry if the question sounds a mite dull but I am not overly familiar with the model (- other end of the Southern for me) having acquired it for a new project. Grateful for any words of wisdom on the subject, please.

Best wishes,

Paul

Two axles should be powered (i.e. both axles on the power bogie).

If it is under warranty, return it to the seller, if not, you'll have to open it to investigate. Good luck, as they are nice models and run very smoothly (usually!). I have six of the things in various liveries and all ran well right from the start.

• RMweb Premium

Two axles should be powered (i.e. both axles on the power bogie).

If it is under warranty, return it to the seller, if not, you'll have to open it to investigate. Good luck, as they are nice models and run very smoothly (usually!). I have six of the things in various liveries and all ran well right from the start.

Thanks very much. Thought that would probably be the case. It is a very recent purchase so I think it will go back.

Much appreciated,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Evening all.

I have just acquired a green SYP MLV and what a delightful model it is. However, running it on rolling road (layout currently packed away) only one set of wheels (nearest the cab end) is actually rotating, though the motor sounds smooth enough and nothing else appears untoward. My question is , before I start taking it to bits to investigate, is only one axle powered or do I have a Friday afternoon special? Sorry if the question sounds a mite dull but I am not overly familiar with the model (- other end of the Southern for me) having acquired it for a new project. Grateful for any words of wisdom on the subject, please.

Best wishes,

Paul

Most likely cause is the gear pin for that axle has come out.  I've had a couple of 4CEPs where this has happened. Bachmann supplied me with a pair of these for £3 plus postage.  They're very easy to fit and they suggested a drop of superglue on one end to hold it in place.

On one of my 4CEPs the pin had come out but was stuck to some lubricant on the bogie frame so was easy to resolve. 

• RMweb Premium

Most likely cause is the gear pin for that axle has come out.  I've had a couple of 4CEPs where this has happened. Bachmann supplied me with a pair of these for £3 plus postage.  They're very easy to fit and they suggested a drop of superglue on one end to hold it in place.

On one of my 4CEPs the pin had come out but was stuck to some lubricant on the bogie frame so was easy to resolve. 

Thank you very much for your help.  I did give the  Bachmann service desk a bell this morning and they suggested the same likely cause.  Since the MLV is only a couple of weeks into its warranty I have popped it in the post back to Barwell for them to sort out.  Much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  

By way of an update on the recent issue with my MLV, I would like to offer a public word of thanks to the folks of the Bachmann Servicing Team who returned my repaired Motor Luggage Van to me today, as good as new.  The issue was indeed, as RFS suggested, a missing pinion in the gear tower: I am pleased to report that it now runs very sweetly indeed and the appropriate number of wheels now turn just as they should!  

I was delighted with the service I received from Bachmann.  The folks I spoke with were courteous and helpful; and I was really pleased at just how fast they turned my issue around.  It might have been a simple job for them but rest assured, it would not have been so for me!  Thanks folks   - really grateful for your help. Thanks also to SRMan and RFS of this parish for your  earlier advice.  

Happy modelling all.  Best wishes,

Paul

Archived