MLV Pre-production shots

St. Simon

Being towed to Derby reasearch centre for evaluation purposes ??

En route to LIverpool on a temporary loan to substitute for one of their ex-class 501 battery "locos"

Signalling off the juice at Basingstoke and just keep going ??????????????

Replaced a failed Class 47 on a Bournemouth - Leeds train ?

Hey = I model Winchester in the last 1970's and still have the Didcot Newbury & Soton and Alton lines still open with visits from the occasional Class 17 / Kestrel / Hymeks (not scrapped by '76) / Warships (not scrapped by '72) - the Newbury locals are worked by surplus Cravens and Class 108's

It's YOUR rail - you don't need an excuse to run one.......................................... :no:

:lol:

Ha Ha Ha!! Cheers Southernman!!

Have to be honest I'm hoping that Bachmann will eventually do them in Post Office red livery. I have a soft spot for TPO's and that kind of thing so, as you say. It's my layout.... What the hell!!

Cheers

Nile

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Good looking test shots. I look forward to a couple of these arriving. For those of use not modelling the SR electrified system remember they could not only work on unpowered lines from their traction batteries (and did so daily at Dover on the quayside) but could be hauled effectively as loose-coupled stock with shoes paddled up and even controlled by by a 33/1, 73 or 74 (though I don't think the latter ever occurred) in front or behind.

• RMweb Premium

I expect a fair few limited editions of some of the more obscure liveries like the Royal Mail red will be quickly commissioned. NSE one as the Bachmann Collectors Club model next year by any chance??

Good looking test shots. I look forward to a couple of these arriving. For those of use not modelling the SR electrified system remember they could not only work on unpowered lines from their traction batteries (and did so daily at Dover on the quayside) but could be hauled effectively as loose-coupled stock with shoes paddled up and even controlled by by a 33/1, 73 or 74 (though I don't think the latter ever occurred) in front or behind.

That'll give you an even better excuse to run the 4CEP. You can hook up two MLVs and take out the motor from the CEP. I'm not sure how far the MLVs with a load would get under battery power but they may have needed a couple of recharges on the way to Cornwall!! ;)

Don't forget the TLV's which were used between the MLV and the main train - converted standard BG's if memory serves - didn't last too long

I remember seeing a few trains passing through Ashford (Kent) in the early 1970's, 3 xCEP/BEP+MLV & TLV a 14 car EMU which was a the longest EMU working at that time.

• RMweb Gold

There was an SX evening trip by MLV from Victoria to East Croydon, which then entered the (non-electrified) GPO dock, shunted some vans about, and cluttered off back to London with them. That was in the early '70s, and I believe this trip was later extended to take in similar work at Redhill.

• RMweb Premium

I remember the MLV workings to Redhill and the mail handling system there with an overhead conveyor with mailbags suspended from clips. For really out-of-the-ordinary workings we need to look at railtours. The Southern Electric Group organised at least two using MLV traction including battery traction off the "juice"; one also featured a GLV at the other end. Using two or three luggage vans to power a train-load of passengers would be considered as outrageous these days as it was then!

I remember seeing a few trains passing through Ashford (Kent) in the early 1970's, 3 xCEP/BEP+MLV & TLV a 14 car EMU which was a the longest EMU working at that time.

Showing my age here: I remember the early '60s before the TLVs existed and there were 14 coach trains made up of 3 x CEP/BEP + 2 x MLV, all in green, going through Petts Wood (past my grandparents' house). Physical lengthwise these would have been a fraction longer than the later version with MLV + TLV; also rather more powerful too! :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

TLV's (68201-68206 IIRC) were basically standard BGs wired for mu operation. Conversion work was otherwise minimal. They had to be marshalled between powered units - usually between an MLV and a Cep at the "wet" or "country" end of the train as that was nearest the ship at Dover. They also worked down to Folkestone Harbour. Would they have been at the London end of those trains so as to be at the "wet" end after the reversal in Folkestone?

The TLVs were perhaps over-provision of luggage space and were little-used leading to their early retirement. They were also a right Royal pain to manage when shunting stock as they were unpowered and required at least an MLV to be attached. An MLV+TLV combination could not operate anywhere a reversal was necessary other than authorised propelling shunt moves. A second unit or loco with a cab had to be provided on the other end of the TLV.

• RMweb Premium
an MLV shooting through Beckenham Junction all on its lonesome self.

And boy could they move on their own. 0-90 in what seemed like seconds. More than a few have been driven above their official speed limit as well.

Archived