Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan Clayton issue

Sorry if I've got this in the wrong place, We all remember how the first batch of the Claytons were a bit to close to the real thing, loud, slow, underpowered etc, after the second batch's much more favorable performance I was much more confident in my perchase of an example a the Glasgow MRC this year, However its only been recently that I've been able to test my model, and by recent I mean today, I've finally sorted my wiring issue's. The issue was me. Moving on.

Overall the model performed very well, the running was smooth and clean, however it was slower than I expected though that may be more than likely down to dirty rails. The main issue was the noise, it was similar to small garden strimer and quite loud as well. So what I'm asking here is what could be causing this noise? And what is the best way to solve it.

ScR

I'm assuming the performance was definitively NOT like that of the first batch. Is this actually a second batch loco, or later? On the basis that it is manufactured as designed, i.e. correctly, then you will not get a high top speed out of Heljan's Clayton. I have nine of the breed, both repowers and later batches, and all are sweet runners, but their scale top end is probably 70 mph, rather than the 150 mph of other manufacturers. I exaggerate but only slightly. They are fairly noisy until run in, which on earlier threads was, I think, attributed to the motor and drive train characteristics. I would recommend gentle running-in, if this is definitely a bona fide loco.

I'm assuming the performance was definitively NOT like that of the first batch. Is this actually a second batch loco, or later? On the basis that it is manufactured as designed, i.e. correctly, then you will not get a high top speed out of Heljan's Clayton. I have nine of the breed, both repowers and later batches, and all are sweet runners, but their scale top end is probably 70 mph, rather than the 150 mph of other manufacturers. I exaggerate but only slightly. They are fairly noisy until run in, which on earlier threads was, I think, attributed to the motor and drive train characteristics. I would recommend gentle running-in, if this is definitely a bona fide loco.

Right so its just proper running in, that seems about right, thanks for the advice. By the way what would you say to a Clayton in EWS colours?

I recall you called it the equivalent of Russian Roulette...

I recall it was someone's signature line for a while!

Russian Roulette, with only one empty chamber, I think was the analogy. :sungum:

I could fancy one in DB Schenker red operating on my Waverley Route Y2K 'could have been' alt-reality, obviously as they worked the WR in pairs they'd have to be named accordingly: 17101 French with 17102 Saunders for example!

I could fancy one in DB Schenker red operating on my Waverley Route Y2K 'could have been' alt-reality, obviously as they worked the WR in pairs they'd have to be named accordingly: 17101 French with 17102 Saunders for example!

Abbott & Costello, Laurel & Hardy, Morecombe & Wise.

• RMweb Premium

Only one Clayton in stock here and it's a second batch blue one. It does exactly what 'Chard describes. It runs at a steady pace which actually matches the type's main line performance rather than racing around as the hare. It is noisier than I'd expect from a Heljan but purposefully so and not as intrusive as, say, Lima locos are. For a "Modeller's Licence" purchase (as they never got anywhere near Cornwall in their BR days) I'm quite happy with it and in due course if a green fye version appears at a decent discount then I can double-head with the type as well.

Archived