Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

I would avoid using these dodgy chassis. The chassis block is one piece metal casting, so includes the cab ends aswell as the motor housing section. The issue is contaminated alloy being used in its construction so the cab ends snapping off is just the start of the problem. The cab ends are a thin weak part of the chassis so are normally the first bit to be affected. As the whole thing is made from this same material eventually the whole casting will be affected to some degree. It may completely disintergrate or just break up one bit at a time. It may take years for it to do this but im sure it will happen.

I would think the best bet, if you want to use the Hornby chassis is to use a non affected chassis from a later model and just cut off the cab ends or whatever bits arent needed.

• RMweb Premium

I specifically what an early (green) model as they're the ones I recall in and around the Liverpool Street area when I was a lad and they were a lot, lot younger! I also favour the roof box model because I think it looks better than a skinhead.

People on here have said that the Hornby body isn't that good so I managed to pick up an old Airfix model but that took a dislike to the code 100 track based layout that I tried it on. As I'm planning to use code 75 I presumed that would be worse although, again, some people on here have said they've run their Airfix Class 31 with original wheels on code 75 track.

I looked at the cost of replacing the wheels on the Airfix model and decided that if I could find a cheap Hornby chassis it would work out about the same price and the Hornby mechanism is reputedly quieter than that on the Airfix model.

On reflection, I suppose that I'm not that fussed about the finer detail of the model so I'm beginning to think that I may wait until the green Hornby hits the streets later this year, buy that and sell the Airfix model as that will save me having to fit a decoder to the latter as well.

(Apologies for drifting off topic and thanks for the warning about the potential further problems with the defective models).

I had an Airfix 31 and found it ran fine on code 100 set track, but I sold it on before I started using flexitrack so cant comment on that. I always found mine to be a good runner on its original motor (with that moulded plastic centre wheelset!).

To be honest, I know some dont like the Hornby body, but on balance I find it the best. It runs/pulls superbly, looks perfectly fine to my eyes - and when its running you cant tell anyway! I dont really have the time or inclination to buy an old body, new chassis and start hacking the two about to fit. I prefer to just alter and detail the Hornby ones. But fair play to those who do want to... Theres some superb Hornby/Lima hybrids people on here have made! Im happy with my Hornby ones (ive got several!) but then im also happy with my Bachmann class 40s, even with their problems.

Saying all that however, I have still kept most of my old Lima 31s, I never use them and have a sentimental attatchment to them but they still look very good, even in out of the box form. The 31 shortly followed by the 47 were always my favorite Lima models, just a shame they never ran half as good as Hornbys version.

SAM_2218.jpg

This is a modified Hornby one I converted and resprayed to one of the original 31 0s, with its nose end doors still in place (etched craftsman parts) Probably not as good as some peoples converted Lima ones but it does me, and it runs brilliantly!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I wondering if someone can help me? I have started re-assembling my 31 and have mislaid my carefully drawn out connection diagram for the PCB. Either a jpeg of the connections or a close-up photo. The problem is the ends, which are connections for the bogie pic-ups and which are the lights?

Many thanks in advance

Peter     :help:

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for bumping an old-ish thread but my question seems best placed here than starting a new topic.

Are there any reported issues with R2413B / 31268? I'm watching a pair of them on eBay, have requested the date of manufacture and the info printed on the instruction sheet to denote date code and one has replied with:

"I think it was 2004, the numbers are 4/1161 1104"

The info given tallies with 2004, but when I tried to google the release date I got pointed to http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8687-missing-Hornby-2009-releases/?p=75721 on here saying this model was released 2010 3rd quarter?

Or am I better off buying a brand new 31 from the local shop and getting a spare or second hand BR Blue bodyshell (not sure how easy these are to get hold of?).

Thanks in advance...

I dont think 31268 (R2413B) is affected.

I think its just the original 3 versions, D5512 Green skinhead, 31270 Blue, 31110 Dutch that are the ones to worry about.

I have several of these models from all different batches/years of production and the only one ive had the issue with is the first release models (31110 Dutch).

I have the model of 31268 your looking at and its not showing any signs of the chassis destroying itself! Not yet anyway!

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

My concern would be that if the paperwork denotes an affected loco (from the code stamped on the instruction sheet) that the model may have had a body swap at some point. Since the paperwork doesn't appear to tally with the body, perhaps it matches the chassis?

My concern would be that if the paperwork denotes an affected loco (from the code stamped on the instruction sheet) that the model may have had a body swap at some point. Since the paperwork doesn't appear to tally with the body, perhaps it matches the chassis?

I see what you mean, I have no way of knowing if it's the original chassis/body or not. Two more have just popped up so I'll ask the same details for those and see what they report back for the date code.

I also have 31268 and it hasn't been affected.  Those affected are as listed by 40 058 and I think 31174 also had the problem.

The one I received as a swap for my faulty 31270 was a 31174 and this seems fine.

The trouble with buying second hand Hornby 31s is that although the body might be from a later batch it might have had a chassis change from an affected model with the seller putting the good chassis under his old body to keep?

I am not saying people are doing this but it might be worth bearing in mind, although I would hazard a guess that most affected chassis would have shown signs of failing by now so you might be okay and I am just being a cynical old git!

• Like 1

royaloak, that's exactly what's going through my mind! The thing is though, a new one plus a respray or replacement BR Blue bodyshell is going to be pricey.

Some of the ones on eBay are advertised as new, so you would think them a safer bet, but when I'm getting answers that date codes are 2004/2005 I can't help feel that even if it's sat in a box since purchase untouched, it's not really what I would personally call "new". I've always listed my locos as used even if they have been no more than test ran.

If in doubt, do nowt for now I think. I'm procrastinating and now watching a Heljan class 26 (as according to flickr they did get round the north east) anyway.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I have to say that when I bought my 31268 just a few months ago, I did take the fingers-crossed approach!  It was from a very reputable seller and was superbly weathered and detailed, so I took the chance.  It's OK so far!

• Like 1

At the end of the day thats it, pay your money and take the chance on second hand stuff. Chances are the chassis hasnt been swapped over or messed with but only the original owner will know for sure, and they may not want to tell the real story!

You could buy a used one and have a good look over it before handing over your money, check for signs of the body being taken off, poor fitting body/buffer beam gaps etc, signs of wear/scratching to the body mounting screws (where someone has used a screwdriver on it) etc. Anything that might indicate its been messed with, if it has or you have any doubt just look for another, theres plenty of them around still. Of course this is easier at a shop, exhibition stand etc than it is on ebay.

If a seller had anything about them im sure they would have no problem opening the model up for you to inspect the chassis before you buy it anyway. Maybe worth thinking about?

Personally, with the model in question I would buy it if its advertised as new and the price is good.

Just to add an update...

Got a letter in the mail from Hornby apologizing for the delay as they are waiting for replacement body shells.

They were also kind enough to offer a 20% discount off my next purchase from their site.  As nice as that offer is, with a 2nd child on the way and only one source of income, I won't be able to partake of the discount.  I've emailed Tanya asking if the discount can be transferred to someone else, or if they might be able to supply a few small spare parts in lieu of the discount.

I'll update as soon as I hear anything new

Guest dubdee1000

I sent off 4 chassis on 4th April.  Two were clearly failing, two others less so.  I removed the bodies before i sen them (no damage to them) and told Hornby why i had done it.  I received a big box from Hornby today with three replacement chassis' and one original returned - they felt that it wasn't too bad.  Fair enough!  Perhaps in light of this, those who do not have a damaged body may find it quicker if they just send back the duff chassis

I sent off 4 chassis on 4th April.  Two were clearly failing, two others less so.  I removed the bodies before i sen them (no damage to them) and told Hornby why i had done it.  I received a big box from Hornby today with three replacement chassis' and one original returned - they felt that it wasn't too bad.  Fair enough!  Perhaps in light of this, those who do not have a damaged body may find it quicker if they just send back the duff chassis

When I sent mine back, I only sent the one damaged body, but three 31 chassis and two 50 chassis.  Guess they are waiting to send everything all at once... don't blame them as it's cheaper postage for them.

A bit quicker than mine! They have had my 31 270 and 31 110 for around 2 months now. I suppose it may be a problem with the bodies for the dutch version.

But some communication would be nice, they seem to take a long time to respond to emails. A direct phone call on monday may be the way to go. Although I would have liked an email at some point from them giving some clue on the time scale.

Dave

Zicemanuk

Yes I will agree with you regarding a reply from Hornby via Email. Once I got my reply I had a small query about a code that they required as my box did not have it. So, I gave Hornby a call and the matter was sorted out.. the guy was very helpful and reassuring. Like you mention, may be a quick call to Hornby is the way forward.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

hi all... just got three of my locomotives back from Hornby today.

my 28xx and two class 50's. one of the 50's was repaired, while the other was sent back unrepaired. to make matters worse, the unrepaired loco is now in worse condition than when originally sent to Hornby!

if you look at my previous posts in this thread, you'll see the pics I posted of "sir Edward Elgar" and the cracks that were visible in the cab floor.

I've attached some photos of how it was received this afternoon. needless to say I've already sent an email expressing my disappointment!

post-7599-0-47419700-1367281431_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-28714000-1367281471_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-45934800-1367281513_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-07192700-1367281545_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-39518000-1367281577_thumb.jpg