Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

I'm sure its been mentioned somewhere on here but whats the format for sending back these faulty locos? do you send the whole loco including the box? or just the chassis. I have two that are faulty one of which has cracked the body the other just the chassis is faulty.

silverlink

I'm sure its been mentioned somewhere on here but whats the format for sending back these faulty locos? do you send the whole loco including the box? or just the chassis. I have two that are faulty one of which has cracked the body the other just the chassis is faulty.

silverlink

Best to send the complete model in appropriate packaging as Hornby will hopefully have some new bodies left to fit and have been returning the old body too.

Ah well. Got my 31270 out this evening to try on the boys track... only test run previously and noticed the buffer cowlings pushed forward. Looked underneath and noted no gap between chassis and body - all very tight except one buffer that looked odd and came away completely with the step when checked. Material seemed very crumbly. I presume that it's customer services that I contact ?

• RMweb Premium

Ah well. Got my 31270 out this evening to try on the boys track... only test run previously and noticed the buffer cowlings pushed forward. Looked underneath and noted no gap between chassis and body - all very tight except one buffer that looked odd and came away completely with the step when checked. Material seemed very crumbly. I presume that it's customer services that I contact ?

Yes

Tanya is very helpful and mine has gone back to Hornby via Mr Kohler at the Warley Show.

• Like 1

I received my two replacement chassis' at the weekend. Feeling guilty as some of you guys seem to have been without them for ages - mine were only gone a couple of months! One has reassembled easily, the other will need a little work as I damaged the body taking it apart but that's okay. Thanks for that Hornby and well done!

Ive got quite a few 31s. Some of them dont get much use so every few months I get them out and give them a quick check over for this.

I thought id got away with it but I opened R2421 31110 this afternoon. At first glance it looked fine, no cracks in the body corners, no obvious chassis problems. Then I noticed a fine hairline crack going right across the roof just behind the cab and down one side to one of the grills!

Its very faint but definatly there. Ive removed the chassis to stop any further damage to the body, which was extremely tight to get off, so theres definatly something wrong with it. After removing the body the crack closed up and is hardly visable now.

Best contact them then I suppose!

<Best contact them then I suppose!>

yep they are pretty quick at responding at the moment

Hmmm, I need to chase them then as it's been over a week with no response apart from the automated message. I was going to give them a few more days and them try again.

Finally got around to checking my fleet of 31's, and found one of them to be displaying a small crack in the corner, below the cab. Not sure of the R number, but the loco is 31 270, I believe out of the original batch? I also have 31 110, the 'Dutch' liveried one, although it is not displaying any signs of damage. I had my Dad check his Green version (also out of the first batch) about a week ago.. no signs of damage. We went to run it last night, and noticed that there were small cracks in three of the four corners... just above the buffer beam. Tanya at Hornby has advised to send both of the damaged loco's back for repair.

I was able to remove the body from my BR Blue version in order to get the DCC decoder out, but one of the retaining lugs broke off from the inside of the roof / body shell. It was also quite tight when removing it.

I was not able to pry the body from my Dad's green version... so I've included a note to Hornby in the box asking them to remove the decoder and return it with the repaired / replacement loco's.

Edit:

I also have 31 105, 31 111 and 31174, has anyone seen any problems with these yet?

I think someone on the forum indicated an issue with the Class 50's too... any idea as to what of these may be affected? I don't have the numbers handy, but if the 50's are affected, what of the following should I check (they are all boxed at the moment):

Ark Royal

Hood

St Vincent

Sir Edward Elgar

Dauntless

Superb

Lion

Thanks!

Edited by br-nse-fan

• RMweb Premium

I had my Dad check his Green version (also out of the first batch) about a week ago.. no signs of damage. We went to run it last night, and noticed that there were small cracks in three of the four corners... just above the buffer beam. Tanya at Hornby has advised to send both of the damaged loco's back for repair.

I was able to remove the body from my BR Blue version in order to get the DCC decoder out, but one of the retaining lugs broke off from the inside of the roof / body shell. It was also quite tight when removing it.

I was not able to pry the body from my Dad's green version... so I've included a note to Hornby in the box asking them to remove the decoder and return it with the repaired / replacement loco's.

I've got a couple of green ones and so far not noticed any problems with them - are you able to say which green version your Dad's is, i.e. what running number it carries? Mine are both D5640 (or were-one is now renumbered).

Thanks, and good luck with yours!

I've got a couple of green ones and so far not noticed any problems with them - are you able to say which green version your Dad's is, i.e. what running number it carries? Mine are both D5640 (or were-one is now renumbered).

Thanks, and good luck with yours!

A quick Google turned up D5512 and R2420 as the probable locomotive, but I can let you know for sure over the weekend. I say this as 31 110 is R2421 and 31 270 is R2413, so I think it's safe to assume due to the closeness of the numbering.

A quick Google turned up D5512 and R2420 as the probable locomotive, but I can let you know for sure over the weekend. I say this as 31 110 is R2421 and 31 270 is R2413, so I think it's safe to assume due to the closeness of the numbering.

My 31 270 R2413 is my problematic one. I've had no response to the e-mail I sent Hornby 2 weeks ago, apart from auto reply received, so perhaps it's time to phone them up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've being re-reading this thread, because at the moment I quite fancy the R2413 BR Blue Class 31, and 31 270 is ideal, been more representative of a refurbished BR blue loco. However it seem to be a lottery buying one (inevitably off the used market) that doesn't have chassis rot. Is there anyway to identify one that has had its chassis replaced? :scratchhead:

I suppose the point is that the risk is mitigated by Hornby willing to repair them... recognising (as far as I can tell) the quality problem. Mine's the '270 one and hopefully it'll come back ok. My other one 31111 (skinhead) is fine... a nicely properly fitted and not tight chassis.

We'll see how they get on with mine; fortunately I'm in no rush.

Jon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I've just found the boxes of my green ones and they say R2572 on them; so far so good!

So I went to take my Dad's 31 apart so as to remove the DCC decoder, and decided to take some pictures. One reason for the photo's is I did not recognize the decoder that was in the loco, and the second reason was to show my Dad what the insides looked like. Little did I know what I was actually taking photo's of!

These pictures are taken with a high intensity flash on my Motorola Droid Razr mobile phone... (click on the pics to REALLY see the detail!)

post-7599-0-17511500-1355153464_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-80383900-1355153472_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-88513800-1355153480_thumb.jpg

Not realizing how damaged the chassis was, as all those cracks are not visible under normal viewing, I wet to but the body shell back on the chassis, and *SNAP!*...

post-7599-0-57669000-1355153491_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-27408600-1355153510_thumb.jpg

Good thing this is already slotted for a return to Hornby! I an going to take a look at my other locomotives when I get in from work tonight and take the same kind of pictures to make sure that I don't have any others that are showing these cracks.

Edited by br-nse-fan

Hi All

Got around to checking the rest of my fleet. Good news, is that no more of my Class 31's are showing any kind of metal fatigue. Bad news, is that one of my Class 50's is falling apart, and three others are showing possible signs of problems.

Ark Royal (click on the pics for high-res closeups of the damage)

post-7599-0-36474800-1355463325_thumb.jpg

Hood, Superb and St Vincent have spots similar to these on them

post-7599-0-51652000-1355463424_thumb.jpg

post-7599-0-99155800-1355463509_thumb.jpg

I'll be calling Hornby in the morning... let them know that there are more engines on their way back to Margate... *sigh*

Edited by br-nse-fan
  • Like 1