Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

With details being posted on this site about Hornby posting a " warning of no profits this year " I am becoming a bit concerned that if Hornby fold as a company, that I may never see my Class 31 loco that has been with them since Novemder 2011, ever again!!

With details being posted on this site about Hornby posting a " warning of no profits this year " I am becoming a bit concerned that if Hornby fold as a company, that I may never see my Class 31 loco that has been with them since Novemder 2011, ever again!!

I whole heartedly agree with you on this point they have two of mine at my expense and i am out quite bit of money , which as a retired person on a fixed income , is rather aggravating to put it mildly !!!I cannot get a decent reply from them just the usual crap about next month !! I have asked them what my options are but so far I have had no reply whatsoever , great for business eh ???

martin

Edited by oldknotty

I whole heartedly agree with you on this point they have two of mine at my expense and i am out quite bit of money , which as a retired person on a fixed income , is rather aggravating to put it mildly !!!I cannot get a decent reply from them just the usual crap about next month !! I have asked them what my options are but so far I have had no reply whatsoever , great for business eh ???

martin

Hi - Martin

Thanks for your reply. Looking at your address, I Guess the cost of postage back to Hornby cost quite a few $.

Just out of interest, on what dated did you return them to Hornby?

Mine went back to them during the 1st week in November 2011.

Would be interested to find out if any other members of RM Web have repairs outstanding prior to November 2011.

Hi - Martin

Thanks for your reply. Looking at your address, I Guess the cost of postage back to Hornby cost quite a few $.

Just out of interest, on what dated did you return them to Hornby?

Mine went back to them during the 1st week in November 2011.

Would be interested to find out if any other members of RM Web have repairs outstanding prior to November 2011.

After a years worth of emails i finally sent them back to Margate in June of this year as i was told by Hornby that the spares were due in August . Now , of course they have been moved , once again , to November !! I( for one am getting very tired of it all !!

martin

Seems it has been going of a couple of years .The first post on the subject is August 2011 and still not resolved , I am for one , totally disgusted with the whole thing . A company like Heljan can fix its mistakes within a few months , Hornby .............. not so it seems ??

Its a wee bit longer than a couple of years, I became aware during 2008 that there were problems with split bodies and chassis extensions breaking away on early issue Class 31's.

My first 31 [31 270] started to show slight signs of chassis droop in May 2009 but it took till August 2011 for all 3 of them to actually fail and Hornby to finally accept I had a genuine problem with my class 31's. All 3 failed chassis were sent back to Hornby on 9 September 2011 and 2 new chassis and bodies were supplied in October 2011 for 31 270 and D 5512 but I eventually accepted in June 2012 a complete replacement loco [31 439 in Regional Railways] for 31 110. My second 31 110 [renumbered as 31 134] started to show signs of chassis failure in October 2011 but couldn't be bothered to waste my time with trying to get Hornby Service to fix it so I am rebuilding the chassis in brass!

A search of the RM archive will probably give some of the earlier information.

• Like 1

Question: How does D5511 came into being? I have bought a Class 31 in plain green, numbered D5511 secondhand and would like to know if that is a faulty version or an already fixed one.

Felix

D5511(R2420A) was the version that was introduced to replace the original faulty versions of D5512 (R2420), but unfortunately Hornby may have underestimated how many faulty chassis there were going to be because the unstable nature of the metals in these faulty chassis means that certain conditions make things happen at differnt times. In my opinion Hornby have have been very forthright with this issue and are honouring the warranties without too much question providing the original products are returned to them in a faulty condition. I have had two faulty R2420 models replaced in the last two years with the R2420A versions but subsequently have found further problems with a further ten wich are currently sat at Margate awaiting spares. I am not too concerned about this however as I was requested to return these and consider that Hornby are taking the right steps to endeavour to eradicate the faulty chassis from circulation. Obviously this problem has caused them some grief because of the unknown nature of the problem. I have taken the view that the problem is linked to a batch of faulty castings and have now returned all models made during the period R2420 was in the catalogue. I also think that there is a weakness in the design of the chassis block, which has been caused by the provision of opening cab doors, which has caused the structual failure prematurely around the cab ends and thus needs careful handling in any event. This is purely my opinion but with 12 models under my belt I think I am confident that the problem maybe partly down to the design of how the components fit together. A certain amount of pressure is required at the cab ends to make electrical contact with the marker light contacts and the cab interior insert and this appears to be placing strain on the weakest part of the chassis block. Also the body fixing screws are also very close to the weak part of this chassis block and most of my failures have seen the roof inserts pulled out of the plastic in this area. Despite all of this I still believe Hornby are to be commended for still trying to sort this out and obviously they are finding it difficult to keep to a deadline. I remain optomistic and grateful that I will receive my models back.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm delighted to report that my blue 31 arrived unexpectedly this morning. I should say a blue 31 arrived, because it is effectively a replacement model. It has taken almost one year for this to be resolved, but since I was not in any hurry I am more than satisfied with the outcome. Ordinarily, replacing a defective product should not take this long, but I understand the nature of batch production in China and am therefore content. I will be thanking Hornby directly in due course.

• Like 5

I'm delighted to report that my blue 31 arrived unexpectedly this morning. I should say a blue 31 arrived, because it is effectively a replacement model. It has taken almost one year for this to be resolved, but since I was not in any hurry I am more than satisfied with the outcome. Ordinarily, replacing a defective product should not take this long, but I understand the nature of batch production in China and am therefore content. I will be thanking Hornby directly in due course.

Then there is yet hope for us all :-)

Martin

Hi from Australia,

Three weeks ago I sent mine back at considerable cost, (A$34.00), for a replacement or whatever, as mine had a cab fracture and crumbled chassis. Mine was the Blue weathered version, which had been stored in its box since new. After reading of the faults, I took mine out only to discover the disaster !!

Hoping for some sort of solution eventually....I hope !! Maybe getting things done in China, is starting to come back and bite one on the bum ! I know some Australian model rail businesses are getting some grief from factories over there as well. !

Cheers form N.S.W.

Hi from Australia,

Three weeks ago I sent mine back at considerable cost, (A$34.00), for a replacement or whatever, as mine had a cab fracture and crumbled chassis. Mine was the Blue weathered version, which had been stored in its box since new. After reading of the faults, I took mine out only to discover the disaster !!

Hoping for some sort of solution eventually....I hope !! Maybe getting things done in China, is starting to come back and bite one on the bum ! I know some Australian model rail businesses are getting some grief from factories over there as well. !

Cheers form N.S.W.

I wish you luck with this lot bro , as for China , well I can see major probs coming right soon . i did hear that Bachmann is possibly moving some work to eastern Europe , may be just a rumor but it makes sesne to me shorter shipping for one !!

martin

Well, they are being VERY generous as the Hornby warranty for locomotives is 6 months for moving parts and 1 year for electrical parts. (Okay, so is a motor electrical or moving...) Presumably that means no warranty for a block of metal

Edited by Orange Alco

Well, they are being VERY generous as the Hornby warranty for locomotives is 6 months for moving parts and 1 year for electrical parts. (Okay, so is a motor electrical or moving...) Presumably that means no warranty for a block of metal

Hornby did not acknowledge that a problem existed for a long time either !! I agree that they are saying that they will resolve the problem , question is WHEN ??? Especially for us older blokes that are not in the best of health ?? :-)

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I don't know if this is relevant but I've been having some problems with my green class 31, D5511 R2420A.

It runs very slowly, drawing about 0.6 A, and when I tried to take the top off it was very tight...

Is this the start fo corrosion or is the slow running something else ?

thanks

Roger

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I don't know if this is relevant but I've been having some problems with my green class 31, D5511 R2420A.

It runs very slowly, drawing about 0.6 A, and when I tried to take the top off it was very tight...

Is this the start fo corrosion or is the slow running something else ?

thanks

Roger

It could be the signs that things are going wrong is that cracks show on the cabs.

Terry

• RMweb Premium

That is a worry, D5511/R2420A was the replacement run for the faulty disintegrating D5512's so if those are starting to exhibit problems then the whole sorry saga is going to start all over again...

Since being told to email at the end of August when the replacement chassis should have arrived I have since sent 2 emails and have heard nothing in return..

Now this has been going on for years now and after the communication with the lovely Stephanie at customer care I thought finally it would be resolved but after being ignored now for over a month I think that now i might just scrap it and build my own chassis..

Now I spend quite a lot on my hobby and have a few Hornby locos but now I dont think that I will be buying many more..

It has taken quite a long time to get to this point for me..

Not so cheers

Anthony

Since being told to email at the end of August when the replacement chassis should have arrived I have since sent 2 emails and have heard nothing in return..

Now this has been going on for years now and after the communication with the lovely Stephanie at customer care I thought finally it would be resolved but after being ignored now for over a month I think that now i might just scrap it and build my own chassis..

Now I spend quite a lot on my hobby and have a few Hornby locos but now I dont think that I will be buying many more..

It has taken quite a long time to get to this point for me..

Not so cheers

Anthony

Welcome to the club Anthony :-(

ha ha Thank you oldknotty.. Actually I was one the founders of the so called club when it all started here on a previous incarnation of RMWeb unfortunately long long ago..Its been a few years now..Funnily enough its not just limited to Hornby as good friend showed me this morning with a couple of Proto 2000 chassis from round the same time as the 31's that he has to repair/Scratchbuild a chassis for..

Cheers

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

With such a widespread problem, they have no choice. Their current market relies on ongoing sales to existing customers. If they p**s them off, the markets gone. I'll bet they didn't allow for this type of issue (especially the time frame), when they took production off to China! At Margate, if they had a similar quality control issue, they could of churned out another corrected batch in a fraction of the time.

Sadly another tale of woe. I've been keeping a close eye on my 31110 and noticed a droop this morning, removing the body confirmed another chassis failure to add to Hornby's list. Just messaged them but not hopeful I'll get a quick reply...