Hornby corroded class 31 chassis

locospotter

I had the same request when I sent my 2 back, naturally I did not have receipts for them and as I run my locos not collect, boxes tend to go after about 18months to make space for newer ones. I just put a letter in with the models saying I did not have the boxes or receipts. The damage to both was obvious to see and they replaced them without quibble - only thing they did was state "as one of them did not have a fan in place they could not supply a model with the fan" which was fair enough as I had taken it out to fit a sound chip. So hopefully you will not have a problem with sending yours back.

You mean to say that you ACTUALLY got yours replaced ??? What did you use as leverage inquiring minds need to know :-)

Martin

• RMweb Premium

According to my e-mail from Hornby, no, they are still awaiting the parts. If I send in mine now it will join a "queue" to be dealt with on a first come first served basis which uncomfortably sounds like when they get a batch in there won't be enough to do all the ones currently in that queue...

You mean to say that you ACTUALLY got yours replaced ??? What did you use as leverage inquiring minds need to know :-)

Martin

I had 2 replaced, mine were about 1 year ago, seems like I just got lucky in having mine turned around.

• Like 1

Just been informed parts for my Green 31 should be with Hornby within next couple of weeks, so it depends where it is in the repair queue. They've had mine for over 6 months but others have been waiting longer, will wait and see if people start receiving theirs nearer October time.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this thread! I’ve just been to check my three Hornby class 31’s which are all packed away in boxes at present and have been for the last year or so. They were all fine when I put them away but now I have problems:

31270 (01 05) and 31111 (16 06) are both split. I’ve removed the bodies which are both salvageable although the former has a long crack behind the cab door at one end. The cab chassis at one end of 31111 has broken off completely.

31174 (27 05) seems okay at present but this one’s had an underpowered motor from the start.

I’ve emailed Hornby but all in all I’m not best pleased especially as they’re my only mainline engines (yes I like 31’s). I'll let you know the response.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this thread! I’ve just been to check my three Hornby class 31’s which are all packed away in boxes at present and have been for the last year or so. They were all fine when I put them away but now I have problems:

31270 (01 05) and 31111 (16 06) are both split. I’ve removed the bodies which are both salvageable although the former has a long crack behind the cab door at one end. The cab chassis at one end of 31111 has broken off completely.

31174 (27 05) seems okay at present but this one’s had an underpowered motor from the start.

I’ve emailed Hornby but all in all I’m not best pleased especially as they’re my only mainline engines (yes I like 31’s). I'll let you know the response.

This is an interesting development as I have not heard of 31 111 being effected before - has anyone else had this particular model fail?

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

I would like a couple more Class 31's like the Network Rail example for instance but after my experience with the disintegrating chassis of my former Dutch Civil Engineers machine, I am really very very reluctant to consider any further purchases of these but by the same token also reluctant to acquire Lima examples as I really don't want to return to pancakes.

I still haven't finished the body work on my 31106 repaint since the chassis broke, I just have lost all motivation with it and am seriously tempted to forget the hassle of getting the chassis swapped eventually and just strip it for spares and chuck it in the bin.

Still waiting on a reply from margate i emailed in two weeks ago ............ talk about crap way to run a business !!!

I rang them to change my address and they were very helpful. They let me know that they expect the chassis's in stock in the next 2-4 weeks but this was not guaranteed, they did say if they didnt arrive in this time frame letters will be sent out.

Same old same old then , another 2-4 weeks that will make it possibly November before they may , possibly , could maybe have the chassis .It has been a few YEARS , do the folks at Hornby really think we the consumers are that dense ????

I would like a couple more Class 31's like the Network Rail example for instance but after my experience with the disintegrating chassis of my former Dutch Civil Engineers machine, I am really very very reluctant to consider any further purchases of these but by the same token also reluctant to acquire Lima examples as I really don't want to return to pancakes.

I still haven't finished the body work on my 31106 repaint since the chassis broke, I just have lost all motivation with it and am seriously tempted to forget the hassle of getting the chassis swapped eventually and just strip it for spares and chuck it in the bin.

In mine and a number of other modellers eyes, the Lima bodyshell looks nicer, both James and Jim S-W of this parish have put Lima bodyshells on either lima chassis with Hornby mechanisms or onto Hornby chassis with a section under the cab removed. The latter could potentially work on your model of 31106, or you could use the mech into a lima chasis. Either way there is a way to resolve your situation if you don't go down the route of Hornby replacing your chassis.

PS. Doon't bin it! - There are people like me scouring ebay for broken Hornby 31 chassis!

• Like 1

Hi, all.....I too have fallen foul of the dreaded Class 31 rot. Bought the Dutch version from Pecorama about 3 weeks ago (New), went to pet a decoder in it, and noticed the buffers drooping, tried to straighten them ,and the whole lot snapped off.

I tried a repair, but more and more bits kept snapping off as I tried to fix it. Please note that I was on holiday when I purchased the loco, and that I live about 150 miles from Seaton so a return was not possible. Then, just as I thought I was winning, the other end snapped off!

I was more successful with the other end, using 2mm square brass - bent to an L shape and superglued.

Then I found out about the rot and e-mailed Hornby. I got a reply a couple of days later, telling me to post the loco to Hornby and they will replace the chassis......when they get one.

I sent it on Friday (31/08/12), so will just have to wait and see what happens.

TTFN.

Mick

Hi, all.....I too have fallen foul of the dreaded Class 31 rot. Bought the Dutch version from Pecorama about 3 weeks ago (New), went to pet a decoder in it, and noticed the buffers drooping, tried to straighten them ,and the whole lot snapped off.

I tried a repair, but more and more bits kept snapping off as I tried to fix it. Please note that I was on holiday when I purchased the loco, and that I live about 150 miles from Seaton so a return was not possible. Then, just as I thought I was winning, the other end snapped off!

I was more successful with the other end, using 2mm square brass - bent to an L shape and superglued.

Then I found out about the rot and e-mailed Hornby. I got a reply a couple of days later, telling me to post the loco to Hornby and they will replace the chassis......when they get one.

I sent it on Friday (31/08/12), so will just have to wait and see what happens.

TTFN.

Mick

Interesting that Peco still had a potentially faulty loco's on sale. I was in a shop in Stratford On Avon earlier in the year and saw a 31 270 on display with quite large splits in the body. I pointed it out to a member of staff who asked did I want to buy it - I said no and got a shrug of the shoulders in reply!?!

I wonder how many are still out in the retail trade bearing in mind Hornby has never admitted there is a problem with a number of their Class 31 variants.

As an aside I have just checked my other Class 31's - 31 111 in weathered blue dated 12-06 and 31 452 dated 19-06 in Fragonset and their are no obvious signs of rot - yet! I also have the Model Rail limited edition 31 130 Calder Hall Power Station dated 47-05 which also looks OK.

I must admit since this issue reared its head I have been reluctant to purchase Hornby locos.

It's almost the customer satisfaction blunder that time forgot, this one. Rumbling on for, now, years, with no sign of a satisfactory conclusion. How do we think it compares in PR and handling terms with the recent 4-VEP debacle? Is there a systematic malaise at Margate? I must say, this is a very unhappy advert for their high-end diesel range.

Speaking as one with a tangential interest (Class 50s).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear,

Well I went through this with 31110 and 31270, if you include the incorrect first BR Blue body I now have a pile of bodyshells for respray practice...

Hornby were a bit late dealing with 110, but it was eventually sorted after about 7-8 months.

I think the scale of the problem has taken them by surprise, realistically though there should be a 'ok , enough's enough' moment and a systematic recall of the offending models as per major retail companies.

I am down to one 31 (268) and 2 class 60s from Hornby now.Fortunately their 'modern image' range doesn't include much I need.

Just out of idle curiosity what body shell are people sending the dutch 31 back getting? Obviously they have done 2 green skinheads and numnerous weathered blue models but I cannot recall a second Dutch 31 that would provide replacement bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on the arrival of some chassis blocks? My loco has only been away a couple of months so not expecting it back anytime soon, just wondered if anybody had heard anything from Hornby.

Thanks

Alan

My Class 31 ( D5512 - green ) was returned to Hornby for repair during the first week in November 2011.

I have received several updateds from Hornby by letter the last letter was dated May 2012 when they offered me the choice of either a Regional Railway or Network Rail livery replacement.

I have chosen to await a replacement identical to the original item that has been returned to them.

I have just spoken to the Customer Care Dept at Hornby, the person advised that the replacement parts due in August 2012 did not materialise. The latest date given to me is for: sometime during October 2012 ( no guarantee ) for replacement chassis and new Green D5512 body shells.

So im afraid it appears that the wait from the replacement is rather open ended.

Edited by RCAR6015

My Class 31 ( D5512 - green ) was returned to Hornby for repair during the first week in November 2011.

I have received several updateds from Hornby by letter the last letter was dated May 2012 when they offered me the choice of either a Regional Railway or Network Rail livery replacement.

I have chosen to await a replacement identical to the original item that has been returned to them.

I have just spoken to the Customer Care Dept at Hornby, the person advised that the replacement parts due in August 2012 did not materialise. The latest date given to me is for: sometime during October 2012 ( no guarantee ) for replacement chassis and new Green D5512 body shells.

So im afraid it appears that the wait from the replacement is rather open ended.

The slow boat from China................................................

PS Although this has been discussed many times before can someone please re-assure me that it is (was) only the intitial releases that were affected and that 'Banger' Blue weathered 31174 should be (and remain) o.k.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by jonathan452

The slow boat from China................................................

PS Although this has been discussed many times before can someone please re-assure me that it is (was) only the intitial releases that were affected and that 'Banger' Blue weathered 31174 should be (and remain) o.k.

Many thanks in advance.

To my knowledge Hornby have never admitted officially to a problem with the chassis of Class 31's as all the 'problem' chassis replaced by Hornby have been on an individual customer by customer basis.

Initially 3 rotting Class 31's were reported by numerous modellers -

D5512 R2420 in green from manufacturing year 2004

31 110 R2421 in yellow / grey [Dutch] from manufacturing year 2004

31 270 R2413 in weathered blue from manufacturing year 2005

But recently another has now appeared on the list in the shape of 31 111 R2571 manufacturing year 2006 so it could be that some more early versions will fail.

These include 31 452 in Fragonset from manufacturing year 2006 and the Model Rail limited edition 31 130 "Calder Hall Power Station" from manufacturing year 2005 may fail as the years go by - a really expensive ticking time bomb!

• Like 1