Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

• 2 months later...

My R3114 model B1 61270 eventually arrived from Hattons today, ripped off £7 for next day delivery even though in the various run-ins I've had with them lately everything on my pre-orders should be sent standard delivery - doh!

Anyway, I'm glad I opened the box very carefully since I was able to collect all of the bits that had dropped off or had broken off! From the front: the top of the chimney is a separate doughnut in the bottom of the box, there is what appears to be something akin to a sanding pipe but I'm not quite sure where it comes from, another small something that defies description but is probably relevant - even important -  and another even smaller unidentifiable part, one cabside door is broken off while the other is hanging loosely at an angle, and I only just managed to see the broken off clear plastic wind deflector also trapped in the wrap-around packaging. Add to that bits of Hornby coupling lying around but the plastic bag of parts appears intact - at least it is still sealed - double doh!

The label reference is REF01 - 90374 followed by R3114-26-852. Whichever factory this is Hornby need to get some QA guys into it. Shame because it's a damn good model otherwise, and GE-allocated ones are snake's legs.

Even the TMC version has a bit of a wave in the front of the running plate.

I'm not sure quite how to react to an increasing level of such manufacture and assembly defects, some have been shown in the K1 thread, and two out of three of my REF manufactured purchase recently, A3 and Castle, have had wavy running plates. I wouldn't want to be a retailer!

post-7929-0-67306400-1419367365.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Even the TMC version has a bit of a wave in the front of the running plate.

I'm not sure quite how to react to an increasing level of such manufacture and assembly defects, some have been shown in the K1 thread, and two out of three of my REF manufactured purchase recently, A3 and Castle, have had wavy running plates. I wouldn't want to be a retailer!

attachicon.gifR3114_B1_61270_r800.jpg

Having looked at the set of photo's on TMC's website, I don't think this one is a distortion issue - it's a damaged in transit.

Edited by toboldlygo

I believe its Hattons responsibility as sellers.

Can't say I am impressed with their attitude either way,simply not good enough service. I have already deleted my  Hattons account after the "Your credit card doesn't work saga which was total nonsense" re the P2.

But their excuse is that they have no more stock and to be fair as it's a GE-based locomotive I really want it rather than a refund.

That is different from your first post , you can't blame Hattons if they haven't got any.

Send it back to Hornby , no reason why they can't repair and return or exchange for another  but check first !!. Otherwise mend it , dont think you will be the only one doing light repairs !!.

Perhaps I am missing something? They offer you a refund, how do you expect them to repair the Loco ?,the only people with any parts needed are Hornby. No idea re consumer law  but how can they replace it with something they haven't got ? Send it back to Hornby or mend it yourself !!.

As you state - you have no idea of consumer law, so why offer ill-informed advice??? The law places responsibility clearly on the seller, not the manufacturer and the applicable point at issue is 'not of merchantable quality'.

If Hatton's offer services such as DCC chip fitting then they must have workshop facilities.

Edited by Pint of Adnams

Hattons have no legal obligation other than to offer a refund. There is no legal obligation on them to repair a defective item, nor replace it. By offering you a full refund thay have complied with their obligations under consumer law.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Both I'm afraid. Of course if you never get a model then QC is irrelevant! So Hornby do need to secure their supplier base . However they also need consistency across their 5 or 6 manufacturers. I suspect this is all more difficult than we think as if they reject whole batches of models the manufacturer may lose interest in Hornby and simply make for someone else. Which brings us back to the fact that really Hornby needs it's own factory to be in full control.

• 5 years later...
On 23/09/2014 at 09:31, Market65 said:

Hi, 31A. I like how you've reviewed the B1 61270 from Hornby. I think, having looked, just now, on my layout, at the 'Scottish' B1 61243, from the first batch, I think what may have happened is that Hornby have used the 'non-electric light' smokebox on this latest B1. The horizontal conduit is indeed missing, and also the conduit which goes from the electric light generator up the side of the smokebox to the top electric light is also absent. Also there is another conduit which curves down from the generator to power the lower electric lights, which is missing on this model.

Also I notice that Hornby have not put on the brass surround to the spectacle plate windows. I must add that these things will not put me off from making a purchase, for they are all correctable by those who wish to do so, using 0.4mm wire and glue.

All the best,

Market65.

An interesting post from way back in time but it sheds light on the matter of smokebox hinge placement... possibly the early R3000 61243 is the only electric light fitted Hornby B1 with the correct narrower spacing?  I notice both 2014 models R3114 (61270) and R3114A (61267) have the wider-spaced hinges, but for all I know the electric-light fitted B1s had both types?    And ignoring for the moment the 'Darlington Variation' smokebox as well as the 'Scottish Variation' running plate fillets.

As I understand it the narrower spacing smokebox hinges with higher number plate mounting started at 61190. With of course boiler changes through the years.

I guess prototype photos are the only guide for a particular engine.

I notice the restored 61264 has electric lighting but wider-spaced hinges so what would I know? :)

61264_B1_Locomotive_arriving_at_Whitby_Station_-_geograph_org.uk_-_758887.jpg.9ba5b948a6f1fb9acc77421013c2ea51.jpg

Edited by robmcg
typos, addition.