Hornby B1

Guest Tom F

It's certainly worth waiting for, and having now dared to take mine out of the box I can see what all the fuss was about when it was first released. You could certainly try to plonk it on a Dave Bradwell chassis, and get even closer to the ultimate B1.

Oh blimey, decisions, decisions! I bought an 'as new' Mainline B1 for a mere 35 squiddlies about three years ago and I've been thinking of plonking it onto a DB chassis as I believe the £70 kit also has all the bits to improve the body too. Hmmm, is it worth splasing out another £70 to do it with Hornby's B1 instead?… :scratchhead:

....bought an 'as new' Mainline B1 for a mere 35 squiddlies about three years ago and I've been thinking of plonking it onto a DB chassis as I believe the £70 kit also has all the bits to improve the body too. Hmmm, is it worth splasing out another £70 to do it with Hornby's B1 instead?… :scratchhead:

Do both.

Simples.

I honestly couldn't say, nicotine is one vice I've managed to steer clear of! ;)

As for the original subject, Hattons have now entered the fray and are doing them for £80/£82...

I'm glad I waited for the price drop, was over the moon when I saw the Scottish Varient R3000 in late crest in Hattons for £80, so glad I bought two in my eyes it's by one get one for £40!

I'll have to get the transfers ready when I get home for some renumbering.

Up-dated 14.15hrs Gutted, just noticed rails of Sheffield are selling them for £69.50 :(

Edited by MrB

Three have joined my stud.

Two R2999's I moved the coal partition forward on each and changed the crest; one's running as Hitchin' 61094 and the other as 61005 Bongo!

one R3000 which will have the serpentine filets in the running plate removed - I'd like this to be a southern section engine - but a likely candidate is proving elusive.

I didn't intend replacing my Bachman b1's. Hmm so much for good intentions

Edited by davidw

Two R2999's I moved the coal partition forward on each and changed the crest; one's running as Hitchin' 61094 and the other as 61005 Bongo!

one R3000 which will have the serpentine filets in the running plate removed - I'd like this to be a southern section engine - but a likely candidate is proving elusive.

David,

Have a look at 61249 on Flickr (I think), had the s/box door as per '43 for a short time, otherwise scroll through for S/division examples unnamed with that S/b door.

Cheers,

Peter C.

• Like 1

The thing is, I only ever intended to have two B1s, representing the two preserved engines. I now seem to have acquired parts for four.......

I intend doing the two preserved ones as well Horsetan.

If you have spares for these, I'm yer man.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Edited by the penguin of doom

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

61249 'Fitzherbert Wright' was at Stratford then Parkeston Quay until 1959, she moved north to Sheffild Darnall May '59 (BR database). There are pics on Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/64215236@N03/6386483519/ shows her at Stratford April '59 with same S/box door as 243, later pics I've seen, at Sheffield Midland in '64 with wider spaced hinge strapping on door (sorry no links). Have renumbered mine as 249 as she would have been at Darnall post 5/59, after removing fillets and fitting Fox plates. AWS box & cylinder need removing also, as no sign of AWS on '59 pic or the '64 pics.

Cheers Phil.

• Like 1

Hi,

61249 'Fitzherbert Wright' was at Stratford then Parkeston Quay until 1959, she moved north to Sheffild Darnall May '59 (BR database). There are pics on Flickr, http://www.flickr.co...N03/6386483519/ shows her at Stratford April '59 with same S/box door as 243, later pics I've seen, at Sheffield Midland in '64 with wider spaced hinge strapping on door (sorry no links). Have renumbered mine as 249 as she would have been at Darnall post 5/59, after removing fillets and fitting Fox plates. AWS box & cylinder need removing also, as no sign of AWS on '59 pic or the '64 pics.

Cheers Phil.

David,

Have a look at 61249 on Flickr (I think), had the s/box door as per '43 for a short time, otherwise scroll through for S/division examples unnamed with that S/b door.

Cheers,

Peter C.

Thanks Guys!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

no probs, I've got 2 x 61138 as well, 138 was a Sheffield/Rotherham loco for approx 9 yrs (Darnall,Millhouses,Canklow) and a swift number change on the other to 61139, also a Darnall loco, will give all I want for now. Late crests will be added to these to make them contemporary with 61239 (all 3 shedded at Darnall in 1961).

Cheers Phil.

• RMweb Premium

That's interesting Dave, presume you had to make a new rear coal plate - what did you use - any chance of pictures?

While we're at it. I was going to fit AWS gear to one of mine and have prised the battery box off a Bachmann one for this purpose, but wondered whether anybody knew the dimensions of the cylinder that sits on the driver's side running plate? The drawings I've found so far don't show it.

• RMweb Premium

D & S do the AWS equipment for these loco's.

I used them on my B1 to K1 conversion a few years back and they're very good.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Doh! just a bit too late for me, ordered some AWS kit from Wizard, never mind will have a look at 'em tho'.

31A-you're welcome.

Cheers Phil.

That's interesting Dave, presume you had to make a new rear coal plate - what did you use - any chance of pictures?

While we're at it. I was going to fit AWS gear to one of mine and have prised the battery box off a Bachmann one for this purpose, but wondered whether anybody knew the dimensions of the cylinder that sits on the driver's side running plate? The drawings I've found so far don't show it.

The coal plate change was surprisingly easy. The original coal space plate was removed, and I cut new ones from plastic card. I made this by using the plate on Sir Harold as a template. I secured it in place with plastic glue - again taking the position from Sir Harold's tender.

Where the old coal space used to be there is now a hole in the top of the water dome - which need to be filled - the entire process took a couple of hours on the first one - and 45 min on the second.

AWS box and bang plates will be done later

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave, sounds easy enough!

I was wondering how the existing one is fixed; hole in the dome seems to be the answer. I was thinking of robbing a Bachmann tender, but their moulding is a bit thick and would probably jar with the finesse of the Hornby detailing, however I should be able to use a Bachmann one as a template.

They kept that quiet.

Do I DMS Horsetan? They're the parts I used on my K1, but I've no packaging left to confirm the correct name.

Either way, they were very handy, whoever made them.....

Cheers.

Sean.

They kept that quiet.

Do I DMS Horsetan? They're the parts I used on my K1, but I've no packaging left to confirm the correct name.

Either way, they were very handy, whoever made them.....

Cheers.

Sean.

I DCC'd mine last night, very very impressed, although the new Bachmann ones run just as well. Don't like the packaging though - left a polished mark on top of the boiler from one of the sponge pads and the edge of the part of the vacform bent the whistle, luckily easily sorted but I'm loathe to put it back in the original box.

Direct messaging service? Doc Marten Shoes?

Do my self?

Mine has migrated back to sender, I think. Rails say despatched day of order July 18th. No sign, and no relevant red card. P.O return after 7 days, what happens next I wonder...?

Edited by 'CHARD

Test running an LNER liveried Hornby B1- waddles like a constipated duck. Hugely disappointed in that because it certainly looks nice, until it moves. Got a Bachmann earlier in the year and it looks much better when running and thats more important to me.

J

Test running an LNER liveried Hornby B1- waddles like a constipated duck. Hugely disappointed in that because it certainly looks nice, until it moves. Got a Bachmann earlier in the year and it looks much better when running and thats more important to me.

J

Try another one. My Hornby one is flawless in it's running (as are my two new Bachmann ones). It's RTR, there are always a few Friday afternoon specials around - hence why in the past month I've returned a Hornby A3 and a brand spanking new Bachmann V2 (I bought two of these - one runs perfectly, the other waddled badly and sounded like a sack of spanners).