James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

Hi James,

I've been following your thread for a while now, and your modelling is excellent!

You've inspired me to purchase some HAA's with a view to modifying them in a similar vain to as you have, which I am looking forward to doing immensely.

The 66 with graffiti was also top notch and most realistic.

Thanks!

Trev :)

p.s. How did you get Ms Ellis-Bextor to sit on your knee like that?! 10 on 10! :)

Edited by big T

• 1 month later...

Top work with the MGRs and indeed just about everything you tackle!! 47467 looks the biz, memories of it working the sleepers out of Inverness for a spell in the late 90s in that condition.

Quick question, (and apologies if its already been mentioned in the thread) what make are the Instanter couplings you've fitted to the MGRs?

Ta, G

• RMweb Premium

Top work with the MGRs and indeed just about everything you tackle!! 47467 looks the biz, memories of it working the sleepers out of Inverness for a spell in the late 90s in that condition.

Quick question, (and apologies if its already been mentioned in the thread) what make are the Instanter couplings you've fitted to the MGRs?

Ta, G

Thanks very much! The instanter couplings are by Smiths, which I've been buying online via Parkside Dundas - the cheapest way seems to be the self-assembly versions, about £5/£6 a pack which has enough to do 4 wagons, not too bad!

Thanks very much! The instanter couplings are by Smiths, which I've been buying online via Parkside Dundas - the cheapest way seems to be the self-assembly versions, about £5/£6 a pack which has enough to do 4 wagons, not too bad!

Ta everso! Suitably inspired!

Cheers G

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Buffering in progress...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

288 buffers have arrived courtesy of George at S-Kits, enough to get cracking on the first of the HAA sets my early-build 'Coalfish'...but it's a long road ahead!

What is the S Kits catalogue number for these buffers please James? I feel a similarly large order coming on! Also...what silver grey paint do you use on the HAA bodies please?

Ta in advance,

Graeme

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

What is the S Kits catalogue number for these buffers please James? I feel a similarly large order coming on! Also...what silver grey paint do you use on the HAA bodies please?

Ta in advance,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I've looked it up, the code number is BU3 buffers from S-Kits, hope that helps!

For the colours, the main body is painted in Humbrol 11 Silver, and then matt varnished, which dulls down the appearance considerably. This matt finish then gives a good key for shades of browns and dark greys to be painted on and wiped off until you're happy with the appearance!

Cheers,

James

Hi Graeme,

I've looked it up, the code number is BU3 buffers from S-Kits, hope that helps!

For the colours, the main body is painted in Humbrol 11 Silver, and then matt varnished, which dulls down the appearance considerably. This matt finish then gives a good key for shades of browns and dark greys to be painted on and wiped off until you're happy with the appearance!

Cheers,

James

Top stuff, thank you! I may be somewhat busy....

G

• RMweb Premium

While Worthing MRC's Loftus Road's scenery has been taking up much of my time lately, there's always a moment to squeeze in a cheeky side project!

34616391046_93767fd468_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

EWS's 67017 Arrow belongs to my fellow-Worthing MRC mate Mark Butcher, and stems from a conversation where it turned out we both had EWS Class 67s we wanted to renumber! I often do locos in batches, so it made sense to add another to the workbench at the same time.

Feeling in a very kind mood I offered to whisk away the standard Hornby 67001 release and turn it into something a bit more personalised! After running through potential identities, Mark opted to go for 67017 Arrow, firstly as it was a 'namer' and secondly as it's more-or-less in the same condition now as it has been for many years - perfect for a multi-era layout loco, unlike my own normal loco selections of 1990s deathbed celebrities..!!

34526490351_372aa3b73f_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The starting point was to remove the Hornby factory printing, the 67001 numbers and EWS lettering were both coming off, to be replaced with Modelmasters's superb EWS transfers. 

34526485911_29e6f891a7_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I set about attacking the loco with enamel thinners, about 5 mins after applying, the printing was coming off a treat...as was the EWS gold stripe as well..! With the damage done, I kept going and removed all trace of the lettering - there is a ghosting of the number that does need to be thoroughly removed - keep plugging away with the thinners and a cocktail stick!

34271795560_b532d0822b_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Probably 15 years ago I'd be panicking that I'd just ruined someone else's loco, but I've done much worse in my time(!) - this is all easily fixed with a coating of Phoenix EWS Gold - it can even be handpainted on top, no need for an airbrush to get that factory finish here!

34526455161_557df37cdf_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I then wapped out the Humbrol Gloss varnish spray, and set about adding the Modelmasters transfers - 

34271777310_00e9eabbac_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've said this before, but I was incredibly impressed by how well the Modelmasters transfers sit over the heavy ribbing of the Class 67 bodyside. With just a smidgen of Microscale Microset, the transfers are super soft, but easy to position just right.  Modelmasters' EWS transfers are in just the right shade, and what's more - you can carefully peel off the top clear transfer layer to leave just the red decal itself - superb. 

If you have kept any of the old Fox Transfers for the EWS locos, just bin them now!! I'm in the process of re-working my old Wells Green TMD-fleet Bachmann Class 66s and updating them with new Modelmasters EWS transfers, they really do finish them off!

The transfers were then sealed in with a coat of Railmatch Matt Varnish, and a start made on roof weathering, with some paint-on-wipe across all of the roof. The exhaust silencer was also given a treatment too - 

34616361666_ca4c700b1b_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Talcum powder was added into brown paint, painted on and wiped off, to give a patchy silver/rust effect, topped off with lashings of dark grey Humbrol Matt 32! The recommended soundtrack to Class 67 exhaust weathering is of course Lorde, who's recent 'Green Light' single is already a strong candidate for the track of the year.

34526428481_4a23dfed44_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've also done a little bit of detail work, picking out all of the grilles with a tiny bit of gunmetal grey and highlighting some of the paint missing from the bolts in 67017's side grilles. The Arrow nameplate is from Fox - I've got one of their fantastic plates on my forthcoming named '67' too.

34616348926_301b74d668_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Here's how the numbers come up - pretty chuffed with that finish, and so quick to do! I'm still remembering back the days of 2005 when I first started renumbering my then-new Bachmann '66's, it took hours of hard effort and they still looked awful haha!!

34495093982_2a28bea85a_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The low-down view of the 67 - I think if going further I'd add brake discs and wheel weathering when I can work out how to remove bogie side frames for my pair of 67s coming up, but I definitely didn't want to break Marks model!! 

33814673394_7b22eed94e_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

And there we go...67017 all ready for action on a Royal Mail train..oh wait that was 13 years ago..crazy how time flies..!

34495078752_48b96536ae_b.jpg67017 'Arrow' by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Although work is focussing on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road scenery ready for the incredible DEMU Showcase event in 3 weeks (eek!) - I plan to complete the matching loco to the above - an EWS Class 66 with a very special history!

I'm busy reactivating what was my first ever Bachmann Class 66 (renumbered to 66241) that made its dual-debut with my Wells Green TMD at DEMU Showcase on that heady day in June 2005 - the loco has not turned a wheel since I converted the layout to DCC, so it's being stripped down, revamped inside & out, and will return to DEMU Showcase 12 years on!

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 17

Great work.

I'm looking for a good ews colour match for Bachmann maroon so I may give those a go if they do Class 37 stuff.

Funny what you say about things coming around.....in 2001 I brought railmatch loadhaul paints to respray a Lima 60.

Never happened.....and the paint went off....and now again I'm looking at buying loadhaul colours to do a 37. 16 years ! Maybe I need a break from modelling this period !

Edited by rob D2

I'm busy reactivating what was my first ever Bachmann Class 66 (renumbered to 66241) that made its dual-debut with my Wells Green TMD at DEMU Showcase on that heady day in June 2005 - the loco has not turned a wheel since I converted the layout to DCC, so it's being stripped down, revamped inside & out, and will return to DEMU Showcase 12 years on!

In which case, I'll get out the wheel cleaner, back-to-back gauge and DCC chip tester...all safely packed for sunny Burton Upon Trent   :nomention:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As promised, here's my old friend, back after many years in storage!

34085630424_052a8724a0_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

66241 was my first Bachmann class 66, renumbered from the original 66135 release to represent a Didcot-spotting favourite. It was the first locomotive to run on my old Wells Green TMD layout back in 2005 and so holds a fairly special place in the collection!

I'd bodged the renumber, using old Fox transfers, but keeping the original Bachmann 'EWS' printing - it always looked a bit dodgy, and with newer all-wheel pickup '66's released from Bachmann, it was sidelined never to work again, until now!

The first steps were to dig out the loco and add the extra pickups to the outer axles -

34890195276_a5fab291a0_b.jpg66241 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Small offcuts of brass were drilled and screwed into the bogies using leftover screws from Oxford Diecast Ford Transit vans! These were wired to the original Bachmann pickups. In the light, you can see the poor effort in applying the Fox transfer numbers, the numbers are basically sitting on top of the ridged bodyside!

34120417753_cb11e3e616_b.jpg66241 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Using Microset, these old transfers were removed, leaving an interesting clean ghosting behind my weathering! It became clear that a full EWS gold bodyside band repaint was required! 

34120413523_ce2f48e0ed_b.jpg66241 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

With a new layer of EWS gold and some gloss varnish, new decals were applied from Modelmaster, just as we saw for the previous Class 67 - the Microsol decal softener enabling the decals to really sit down in the bodyside grooves. A quick layer of varnish later, a Lenz Gold decoder install and 66241 was ready to roll..!

34766897812_b387ed70f6_b.jpg66241 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

34085619334_ca3d2d639a_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I'm glad to have it back running, and it'll most likely be hauling my HAA's around Worthing MRC's Loftus Road at DEMU Showcase next week - please do drop by and say hello!

Cheers,

James

• Like 12

Love it. Are you often tempted to rework some of your older models? I know I generally feel my last model is my best, so look back at older ones and wish I could do them again!

• RMweb Premium

Love it. Are you often tempted to rework some of your older models? I know I generally feel my last model is my best, so look back at older ones and wish I could do them again!

It is definitely tempting to do that! I've already started recreating some of my old Lima models in new Bachmann formats (e.g. 47702/47785) and now I'm looking at my early Bachmann models of the early 2000s and thinking 'mmm, I could do that a bit better'!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Where did the time go?

The last update I posted was before DEMU Showcase, where we took Worthing MRC's Loftus Road up for a fantastic weekend, and after so much hard work in the run up, we've all taken a mini-break from modelling, but it wasn't long before the fingers started itching again!

I did fancy a change from the HAA coal hoppers however, so I present something I've not really tackled much before...a shipping container!

35821743795_07264977ab_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr 

This ASDA 45' box is a Bachmann example, from fellow Worthing MRC gang member Mark Butcher. While at DEMU Showcase, I mentioned how shiny Mark's out-of-the box containers are, and how good it would be to get them weathered...I was soon presented with a box of 9 to be going on with..!

35781340126_0ac140ab30_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've tackled a fair variety of stock in my near-20 years of ruining toy trains but incredibly it wasn't until this year that I'd weathered my first container, a grounded one for Loftus Road

33899410795_bf7685ae0f_b.jpgLoftus Road by Worthing MRC by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I discovered it was actually quite a fun past-time!

So I set to work on Flickr, finding prototype shots for each of the 9 containers, and then whipped out the paints! Depending on the prototype, the livery was attacked with fine sandpaper, or faded down. This was achieved by spraying over with matt varnish to get a good 'key', then running over layers of whites and greys in the paint-on/wipe-off technique. 

Then it was a case of adding the inevitable dirty brown..!

35011828823_befbdbf223_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Starting with Humbrol 62, this was painted all over, and then rubbed off, and followed by darker browns in the form of Humbrol 186, 113 and 251, to really build up the layers as required. Now I'm new to this shipping container lark, but London Grammar's latest album seems to be very much the music to do it to.

After much painting, wiping and covering myself in brown paint, it started to come together!

35652477722_3e54283186_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

One important insight I can share, when you've been extensively weathering with brown enamel paint, always ensure that all remnants of paint are removed from your hands and fingernails before leaving the house - greeting others with brown-stained fingers does raise interesting questions around your personal hygiene! 

35689453451_3bf21ecd1c_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The paint-on/wipe-off gives a great vertical streaky effect on the metal, the next step was to create the huge gashes and dents these containers pick up - normally leaving horizontal lines of paint missing with rust breaking through - maybe where they've been banged against each other or loaded into pocket wagons perhaps. 

This was done just by starting to dollop on small amounts of the lightest brown, and then work up to darkest in the centre of the rust spot, about 5 different shades of brown came together to get the final effect.

35011809883_cc12e59d89_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Studying the prototype pictures carefully, the major area of wear is around the container locking & lifting points, even on a good-condition container these soon seem to lose paint and the rusting process begins, all good fun! 

35689441621_602ef92ede_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

35652455062_d38410a00e_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Once the major rust spots were tackled, I noticed that the ASDA container had thousands of tiny specks along the metal work, just small grazes, dirt and suchlike that over time had ground into the paintwork, so these were added with a 00000 brush, painstakingly one at a time!

35781301686_21aedc7773_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The roof was given an uneven wash of dirt too, and then it was now ready to be reunited with Mark's container wagon, looking somewhat more shabby than when it left it!

34981474374_89b2ea0787_b.jpgWeathered container by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've still got 8 more to complete for Mark shortly, in various conditions from 'nearly new', to 'faded has-beens' and through to the above, which looks ready for scrapping - I don't think anyone would miss that one falling over the side of a ship!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Nice work James, did a bit of container weathering myself in the past.

Thanks Nick! I liked the containers on your Holland Park, they were great! Did the layout get broken up in the end or is it still out there somewhere?

Cheers,

James

Thanks Nick! I liked the containers on your Holland Park, they were great! Did the layout get broken up in the end or is it still out there somewhere?

Thanks James, the boards with track work on are still in the garage but all electrics have been stripped off.

• Like 1

Guest eddie reffin

That's a superb job on the container James. Such well observed rust patches on the sides and anchor points. Love it!

Cheers

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...