James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

On another note, they're a bit 'new' for me but it would be interesting to see a Doorand conversion done from a POA. Maybe one to mix in with all those MHAs?

Absolutely Wayne! I've only ever done one so far, it was this bash I'd tackled 10 years ago now, from memory it was based on one of the then-new Bachmann MTA with the sides sanded right back and new ribbing added, higher ends and underframe brake pipe runs - I think it was 2006 so there's probably some embarrassing entry on my website about the project at the time!!

26261035212_9349ef5840_b.jpg395008 MTA Doorand by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

There was a little bit of discussion further back on this thread and Mick B's also posted pics of his more modern-day yellow/black version, nice bit of variety to be found out there! 

I've gathered lots of reference pics of the 3950XX wagons so it's definitely on the grand plan to tackle more as time goes by, plus one of the original MHAs we talked about before of course! :)

• Like 6

Hi James,

Nice work as usual on the SPA's I have been looking to repaint one of mine into EWS as I've a pair of Cambrian ones already in EWS and Loadhaul but another would be useful.

As to the Doorand Didn't that appear in up date a while back? I have got as far as taking a razor saw to a Bachmann Limpet as the cut outs gave a line to follow but I've put it aside as it needs a lot of work to get even with a file. One day it will get finished.

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

I'm really liking the look of your OBA/OCA's, to the point where I've been slowly gathering a rake of wagons to have a bash at !!

Got some pics of a mesh-sided OAA recently (the style of the sides is slightly different to the OBA you've done), let me know if your interested in seeing them. ;)

Cheers,

Phil.

Ah yes now you mention it I think I remember seeing that one on your site, was it really that long ago... How time flies.

I've managed to phot an ex Loadhaul Limpet now running as an MTA if you fancy a bit of colour. You can make out the black and orange quite clearly, yes the original MHA will be an interesting one. I saw the original one Phil Eames did as an MAA so it would be interesting to see the cut down version, even if it is out of my timescale.

In the meantime it's back to playing with VBA vans for me, the latest is on my workbench below if you're interested.

Cheers

Edited by Wayne 37901
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Nice work as usual on the SPA's I have been looking to repaint one of mine into EWS as I've a pair of Cambrian ones already in EWS and Loadhaul but another would be useful.

As to the Doorand Didn't that appear in up date a while back? I have got as far as taking a razor saw to a Bachmann Limpet as the cut outs gave a line to follow but I've put it aside as it needs a lot of work to get even with a file. One day it will get finished.

Keep up the good work

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark! Haha the Doorand is now a regular thread feature, I plan to wheel it out in another 3 months when the next discussion pops up!! Best of luck with those Limpets, some of those are in absolutely appalling condition!

Hi James,

I'm really liking the look of your OBA/OCA's, to the point where I've been slowly gathering a rake of wagons to have a bash at !!

Got some pics of a mesh-sided OAA recently (the style of the sides is slightly different to the OBA you've done), let me know if your interested in seeing them. ;)

Cheers,

Phil.

Thanks Phil, I always love seeing photos of wagons, even if not for immediate modelling usage, they'll come in handy one day!!

I've just bought a load more cheap CEA wagons from my mate this weekend so even more fun and games are on the way!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

OAA pics.

There was also a OCA with 'Jonny :heart_mini: Cheesy....' written on the side, (I cant find an appropriate symbol to fill the space with, luckily!!) :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-30202000-1460479244_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-14750400-1460479257_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-03777600-1460479269_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-16806100-1460479276_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-96198200-1460479282_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-97390700-1460479290_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely amazing work as always James. I'd love to see what a small rake of Bachmann network rail JJA (HQA) auto ballasters would look like with a touch of your magic !

Thanks, the Autoballasters in Phil's shots above certainly look like they would make a fun project!! However, they're currently way too expensive for me!

Nearest I can get to in terms of big daddy bogie wagons in this year's weathering programme are the Bachmann RMC orange JGAs, I've got about 20 wagons awaiting a big shock having sat pristine in boxes for the past 15 years..!  :O

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

Im currently modelling an engineers rake and folowing some of your inspirational ideas of wagons on your thread. Is it possible to see a pic of a line up of your different engineering rakes? Would be s great help and very much appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi James,

Im currently modelling an engineers rake and folowing some of your inspirational ideas of wagons on your thread. Is it possible to see a pic of a line up of your different engineering rakes? Would be s great help and very much appreciated. Thanks.

Hi mate! I would love to but currently all the wagons are packed in my stock boxes between shows, but we've got one in a few weeks time so fingers crossed I'll remember to get some snaps!

I think the formations are pretty simple though, generally multiples of the same item haha! I've modelled what I remember from my spotting days in the early 2000s, I found that by then (and actual railwaymen feel free to correct me!) but the wagons seemed to run in little 'friendship groups'! So you got say OAA/OBA/OCA/ZAA etc often in rakes together, then all the 'modern' short wheelbase boxes, MHA/MFA/MTA/MKA/ZKAs - I basically try and model what I remember, the idea being that no one can then tell you you've got it wrong! 

I'd definitely have a good look through Flickr and the various railway mags of the period for the best inspiration, or get out there and photograph the real thing, one of the most exciting parts of a project is the research phase, sometimes this can take longer than the modelling itself! The best bit about having photos and researching your subject inside out, is you can always shoot down the picky types at shows, this is my favourite hobby currently haha!! Very best of luck and I'll try get some snaps at our Portsmouth show on May 14th :)

• Like 1

Hi WCML 100,

To add to what James has said, I would say that the research can sometimes be more fun than the modelling itself. It's certainly worth browsing the net as there's plenty of images out there.

When I was spotting as a young lad I never took any photos of wagons but over the last few years I have really got into it, even if they don't cover my time period I'll still snap away as they'll be useful to someone.

One thing I would say and I'm sure James would agree with me is that you should always work to a photo wherever possible when modelling a particular wagon because just like locos there can be many differences, even between batches. 

Cheers

• Like 1

Thsnks both. I have been working on building up a portfolio of images off the web recently of wagons that i have already got which i can then recreate from the base model to look something like the ones in the photos i have found on the web. Im also contemplating getting a cambrian kit for zca to add to my already standard models i have offered by Bachmann (mta, mfa, oba, oca, etc) and Hornby offerings such as the odd seacow and mha coalfish wagons. So this thread has not only been a great interest of mine but very useful in your methods of how you go about recreating specific wagons.

So any info or new techniques may come of use to me that you may out up. So all is greatly appreciated... As im sure it is just as helpful to me as it is to many others who follow this forum. Once i have made some progress with mine if it is ok with you i might post some here for any pointers you or anyone else has.

Thanks again.

Hi James,

Further to our conversation earlier, I found a pic in the archive of my two variations of 'rust livery' Grampus. I apologise It's a bit bright, I should get round to taking a new one. I hope you don't mind me posting this up?

post-6773-0-84884000-1462114299.jpg

Cheers,

• Like 2