James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• RMweb Premium

Just found a webpage with some HAAs from 1998 onwards that will be of use if you haven't found it already - type 352619 HAA into Google - on railfaneurope.net​.

Lewis, thanks so much for all the information above, that is a great summary in what seems like a minefield of variations - those quoted numbers are also very useful thanks, and that tip on the railfaneurope.net website - I went through that last night and pinched a whole load more pics for both the HAAs and many more future wagons besides! :D

More nice wagons James.
I shall look up tove, I like a bit of euro pop....

I was at didcot a week back, looks a right shambles with all that 25kv crazyness going on.

Cheers Rob! Haha so much good pop music seems to come out of Sweden, certainly better than their delicacy of mouldy preserved herrings I got forced to eat last time I was over there!

I've actually not been to Didcot since the family Xmas gathering in December when only 2 masts had arrived, so planning a spotting day up there again in August and half dreading the sight of seeing the station & approaches festooned with metalwork...I'm getting on a bit now so can start banding around the classic phrase "it's not as good as it used to be" haha!!

Cracking work, will look good behind an EWS grid or duff! Loving the thread so far. For your didcot layout, are you gonna have a seperate layout thread and will you upload more stock projects here??

Ben

Thanks Ben, it's got to be a '60' or '66' on the front of the MGR set if recalling my spotting days the most, though there is a certain '58' which is on the modelling schedule for this year! ;)

I'll keep everything in this thread for now, there's no baseboards for the new layout yet so it'd be cheating to start a new thread this early me thinks..! We've got some big shows coming up with Worthing MRC's Loftus Road, so I'm going to put most of my focus into creating an 'Urban Pendon' (haha) if I can, with some ultra-detailed scenery which will take time and probably push starting my own layout into next year to be honest, but it's all good fun!

• Like 2

Hi James

I'm doing an internal repaint/detailing job on my mid 90s HST is there any chance of some photos of yours please, particularly the buffet car? Sorry to be cheeky but I've been inspired by your efforts to a have a go at mine!! :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi James

I'm doing an internal repaint/detailing job on my mid 90s HST is there any chance of some photos of yours please, particularly the buffet car? Sorry to be cheeky but I've been inspired by your efforts to a have a go at mine!! :)

Haha, I would help more but my HST was part of the Great Western Trains refurbished ones in 96/97 so the colours would all be different to the gorgeous Intercity Swallow! My best recommendation is to google image search "Intercity buffet car" - some useful shots come up with the colours as they were, plus retro buffet shop details!

I can't reach it right now but the book "The Intercity Story" by Mike Vincent & Chris Green (Oxford Publishing, 1994) would be right up your street - not only featuring the fascinating story of the operations but hundreds of 80s-90s corporate pictures of train interiors of the Intercity Mk1-Mk4s, well worth picking up on Amazon! :)

Haha, I would help more but my HST was part of the Great Western Trains refurbished ones in 96/97 so the colours would all be different to the gorgeous Intercity Swallow! My best recommendation is to google image search "Intercity buffet car" - some useful shots come up with the colours as they were, plus retro buffet shop details!

I can't reach it right now but the book "The Intercity Story" by Mike Vincent & Chris Green (Oxford Publishing, 1994) would be right up your street - not only featuring the fascinating story of the operations but hundreds of 80s-90s corporate pictures of train interiors of the Intercity Mk1-Mk4s, well worth picking up on Amazon! :)

Thanks James  :thankyou: I'll do that with "The Intercity Story" and send you a cheeky photo of the complete coach (es) thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while since the last update, and surprise surprise, here's another few HAA wagons! 

27578302794_1da1133b70_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today is a batch of 6 - a mix of EWS red and jazzy Mainline blue! 

But these must be getting a tad boring now, so I couldn't resist sharing what else has taken away from my modelling time this month!

27579474044_7e9b207130_b.jpgBA & Chase Above and Beyond by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Wimbledon! There's Andy Murray in there somewhere, though I'd struggle to pick him out of the two!

After almost a year in the planning at work, last week was an event for some of my US-based BA credit card customers, chartering an A318 aircraft to London City for a VIP long-weekend in London, Centre Court tickets to Wimbledon, staying at the Savoy, a river cruise, fine dining on Tower Bridge and a private night with artist Jamie Cullum at Abbey Road Studios! Lots of champagne flowing...! 

27579465534_4462ee7dfa_c.jpgBA & Chase Above and Beyond by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Anyway that's the fun bit over, now onto those pesky HAA's..!

Having exhausted the comedy Hornby graffiti wagons, I've started to eat into the supply of 'Barry' wagons - easily the most numerous release from Hornby over the last 13 years since releasing the new style HAA. The Barry logos are not that prevalent on the wagons I'm modelling so I had no hesitation in scraping these right off the hopper bodies!

28116104431_97cc23a53a_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

With some stunning electropop from Greek duo Marsheaux (almost as good as Ladytron!) I set to work on the usual routine of repainting the hoppers silver, adding new decals and changing the couplings & buffers. Paint-on/Wipe-off coatings of browns, greys and dark greys eventually brought out a desired look as per the previous batches above. 

27913016930_e9e9a3c3cf_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

So joining the fleet today is 356035, a maroon-framed EWS example with a fairly standard appearance and small black patching on the side.

28193970875_0ece58286e_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Next up is the funky 351325, again EWS livery with some recently-applied graffiti to the sides.

27913001770_283afd24ca_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

390398 is my first example in gorgeous Mainline blue livery. This particular wagon is also special as it was bought dirt cheap from eBay with most of the bits missing, and then sat around on my desk at home gathering dust for months. I kept thinking 'must get round to doing something with that' so it's great to finally give it a new lease of life! 

28090686832_3cb8b1c110_b.jpgHAA by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The last EWS version in today's batch is 353932, which also features some faded graffiti - Mez & Pete apparently! 

28193956075_bfe8502bd5_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

We then have the next Mainline hopper, 352792 in standard livery with no patches, but a blue square on the underframe.

28193951385_a318fdfa3c_b.jpgHAA Wagon by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Last but not least, 353685 is a cool example featuring full Mainline branding on the side!

Here's a shot of the latest half-dozen, this now brings the train up to 16 HAA wagons, not a bad start!

28193945765_49106dd857_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I've now pledged to spend more time on the scenics for Worthing MRC's Loftus Road - we've somehow wangled some great exhibitions over the next few years so it's got to be looking fantastic in a short amount of time!! 

• Like 13

Nice coal wagons !

I had the pleasure of being accosted by a BA cart tart as I went through security at LAX the other day to tell me she, ' didn't like our uniforms '

TBH I didn't like her face, she looked like a more pretentious version of this

post-450-0-49700900-1468088178_thumb.jpeg

Hi james, nice work as always.

Been using your techniques for weathering on my ever growing hea rake, with most getting repaints, major patchwork or just very heavy weathering.

I have now got 23 out of the 36 i need for a full rake.

What i wanted to ask was whether you use a different technique for weathering underframes, and what colour paint do you use etc. Been finding it hard to pinpoint a good 'dirt' colour. I quite liked the dirt colour used on your mha's and similar. Could you be kind enough to advise?

If anyone is interested i have attached a link to a video of the rake recently running at my local club. Also there is a link to my thread which has detailed pictures of the rake. I will also be displaying this rake amounst other stock from my collection at my clubs open day. This is the Twickenham & District model railway club open day on the 23rd July. For further info please visit my thread.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83790-ammanford-junction-model-railway-wcml100-workbench/page-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y8atNqhOog

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

I've recently been moving my entire RMWeb photo archive away from my website hosting onto Flickr, and in the process of going through the thread, found an old update on one of my favourite OCA's that had a rubbish photoshoot at the time! I thought I'd do it justice this time...

28385542270_d61acc8bf6_b.jpgOCA 112325 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

OCA 112325 was a faded Railfreight Red example that I modelled back in 2011, using the Bachmann model in the same livery.

28053554603_4a39cedc3a_b.jpgOCA 112325 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I picked the model up at Warley that year on a secondhand stand from the Club itself, it was going for about £8 and jumped out at me amongst all the other chaps fighting over the locos!! 

I gave the model a few layers of orange and white to fade the colour down, and changed the number and removed the Railfreight branding.

28563310832_17a41fdb12_b.jpgOCA 112325 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

This OCA also had some great scratching and damage from grab machinery over the years, this was achieved with the scalpel scratches that collect paint later in the weathering process. Rusty shades from light to dark were painted on in the most susceptible places as per prototype pics, plus oily shades around the hinge areas.

28053566183_63790b3c0d_b.jpgOCA 112325 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The underframe weathering was a mottled mix of my favourite Humbrol shades of 32, 33, 62, and 186 all mottled on with a paintbrush.

28591516081_3dc07a1213_b.jpgOCA 112325 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I then added a load, based on a cool photo of an OCA with a part dirty ballast/used sleeper load, it just had to be modelled!

This was the first of the OBA/OCA batch I ever tackled and set the precedent for all that followed over the last few years!

28669731965_fe02c03de9_b.jpgOCA 112325 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I'm currently working hard on some buildings for Worthing MRC's Loftus Road layout, but have got some annual leave next week so may tackle a cheeky rolling stock project or two!

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

What a nice job you have made of artemis in the fm blue pullman livery i saw in a previous post may i ask how did you create the white pipework above the fuel tanks.

Hi after viewing this some months ago it has, inspired me to detail my Hornby/Lima Dinysos only i am having problems matching the roof colour from stock photos, ive tried phoenix P155 grey and Railmatches Diesel grey but they look to light.

Do you remember what you used on the roof?

Regards Richie

Edited by zedcell

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Any updates soon?

Hi Ben!

I've mainly been concentrating on the scenes for Worthing MRC's Loftus Road layout, only a few weeks to go until our show at Warley in November! More can be found here on the latest updates - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69628-loftus-road-by-worthing-mrc/page-13

There's some great "London" updates just around the corner there I promise! ;)

Meanwhile my own workbench has been quiet, no new projects but just maintenance of stock - this OBA had been derailing, so it was 'in the works' for adjustment and some new wheels -

post-6896-0-06770600-1476098760_thumb.jpg

After Warley there should be time to get stuck into some juicy rolling stock projects and I've just bought a cheap ex-Ltd Ed Bachmann loco from Kernow Model Rail Centre's stand at our Worthing MRC show this year which will be transformed into a derelict heritage rotter!!

• Like 1

Looking forward to that ! Love the loco projects....and the wagons...and the buildings....

I'm hoping to get to Warley on the Saturday, as I have the perfect excuse as we were heading north for daughters gym contest anyway

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to that ! Love the loco projects....and the wagons...and the buildings....

I'm hoping to get to Warley on the Saturday, as I have the perfect excuse as we were heading north for daughters gym contest anyway

Fantastic stuff Rob, will have to catch up if you do go on the Saturday!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James

For the best part of half a year now, I have been following both this and your Loftus road threads. I have to say, well done on all the models, they are brilliant! (I think one of these is needed :locomotive: ). A standard for all to aspire to, even if we don't ever make it!

I shall look forward to the next update

Ryan

Edited by birch1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi James, hope all is well.

While I don't go for it myself as you didn't really see a lot in the era I model but I know you're a fan of doing graffiti work on wagons. Recently while browsing some weathering video's on You Tube I came across one channel by an american modeller. He does some really nice weathering work and I might try out a few of his techniques, but I came across this video of a bogie van wagon (americans call them box cars) with a full side tag on it.

Must have taken some doing.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi James, hope all is well.

While I don't go for it myself as you didn't really see a lot in the era I model but I know you're a fan of doing graffiti work on wagons. Recently while browsing some weathering video's on You Tube I came across one channel by an american modeller. He does some really nice weathering work and I might try out a few of his techniques, but I came across this video of a bogie van wagon (americans call them box cars) with a full side tag on it.

Must have taken some doing.

Cheers

Hi Wayne!

Thanks, hope all's going good with you too! Thanks for the link, some decent stuff there to look through - and graffiti is a guilty pleasure I must admit! I do like the way (such as with this wagon) the vandals have no regard for the different surfaces they spray onto, so you get all sorts of textures, door panels, handles, pipe runs etc covered in the same colour paint! 

I've not seen many full-side tags on our UK stock (bar stored coaching stock or HTA hoppers) so the 'worst' I've ever been able to tackle is a recreation of 66113's attack so far - the Americans do seem to do most things bigger and better than we do haha!! 

28731114761_7d1f7ef7e2_b.jpg66113 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

I realised that there's been no real updates here since July  :O because of the Loftus Road scenics in the other thread, but hoping to get stuck into some rolling stock projects on these pages once Warley's out of the way!

Cheers,

James

• Like 7

Hi James,

Yes all good here, just busy getting ready for a show I'll be exhibiting at in January.

There is some nice stuff on there, I spent an hour last night watching his video's instead of working on stock for the layout . :nono:

66113 looks good. The americans do things much bigger and bolder than over here. I've enjoyed looking at the Loftus Road scenic progress, With the Girlfriend being a former student she saw the row of shops and said it looked just like a street she lived on sharing a flat with some other girls, especially with the Chicken Cottage.

Look forward to more.

Wayne

• Like 3