James Makin's Workbench - 1990s dirty diesels & grotty wagons

James Makin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James

I have to say that 66 looks truly awful but, take that as a compliment as I saw the real one in that state and that was my first impression.

You've captured it wonderfully. Just a shame that they end up Looking like that due to some low life scroates.

Cheers

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hands up, who'd forgotten about this old thread?

With so much work on Worthing MRC's Loftus Road layout this year, knocking up building after building, it seems like an eternity since my last rolling stock project! Now with the Warley show over, attention could finally go back to some pure self-indulgence, adding more hoppers to my loaded MGR coal train...

31468834110_24489abb73_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Joining the fleet today are 6 new HAA's, in the form of 350194, 352453, 351280, 351023, 351612 and 350933. As with the previous ones, each wagon is based on a portrait captured from Flickr and recreated as closely as I can manage!

The base for this project is the retooled Hornby HAA, my remaining collection of wagons are nearly all the 'Barry' versions, and here we can see them all lined up awaiting some action!

31001305674_79ffee8fe3_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

As with the previous batches, the main work was to replace the buffers with S Kits white metal versions, and Smiths instanter couplings replacing the old Hornby tension-locks. The bodies were all repainted back to silver, with new TOPS transfers added, before sealing with matt varnish, ready for weathering. 

31725384201_115c8e3ce1_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

For this batch, I started with a mid-brown base colour of Humbrol 113, painted on and wiped-off using cotton buds. This was later topped with a coating of Humbrol 32 dark grey, and key colour variations picked out at this stage, carefully following photographs to model each difference in the set of wagons. Radio 1's Scott Mills podcasts from 2011 provide the recommended background to this task. 

31032102723_f56b7f44e2_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Varnished and loaded with real crushed coal dust, the wagons are ready to roll! 

31803984906_a34bb2a909_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

First up, no. 352453 in patchy EWS stencil colours (on brown frames) and patch-painting, potentially covering either an old Trainload Coal or Transrail branding...

...followed by 350933 in faded 'beige'! I'm not quite sure whether this was faded red or filthy yellow, but I just model what I see! 

31694406142_eeacb6b9c3_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

31725360571_ea3eb7d99f_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Above, no.350194 was up next in old school Railfreight brown, and below is 351023 in weathered EWS red.

31841585765_d861e93479_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Below, 351612 looked interesting with its small graffiti tag and patchy weathering on the wagon panels. 

31032075153_8ff53b46bb_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Last and not least is 351280 in Railfreight red livery, with heavy staining and the red paint on the frames losing the battle to the rust and dirt!

31841565075_225e41a498_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

The key to a realistic MGR set is to reproduce fairly mundane wagons with no major stand-out features, so although these aren't the most glamorous things to work on, it's been good to tackle something quite ordinary! With this batch of 6 wagons, it brings the overall trainload to 22 - reasonable, but there are still 14 more to add to this rake before it can be seen on Loftus Road!

31725374061_a93b5048d8_b.jpgHAA Wagons by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

In the spirit of the season, I couldn't help but show off my other 'modelling' conquest of late..!

31001259914_9e0ae27c72_b.jpgChristmas Cake by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

Inspired by Pendon, I've gone for a snowy rolling countryside village approach to the Christmas cake this year!!

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Makin
  • Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

WCML 100,

I have a feeling James is already half way there, I think he's done the OBA with Aluminium doors already.

Hi guys,

Thanks - Wayne's on the money here! I've seen the amazing image of the spare Class 67 cab in the aluminium OBA a number of times, it prompted me to take a greater look at what was underneath it! I had fun modelling 110018 back in March last year - 

25466756513_eb2c91aa0c_b.jpgOBA 110118 by James Makin by jamesmakin2002, on Flickr

All I need is to cut up a 67 now haha..!

Cheers,

James

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top work mate...you've definitely got more patience than me! I think weathering without an airbrush is the way forward, as I definitely don't have time to and can't be bothered to get it out.

And as for the car... :sungum:

Thanks,

Jack.

Nice motor, love the number plate ! Must be a shy retiring type with that colour !

HAAs look great, not so sure about Sophie Ellis bextor - I'm sure I used to fancy her mum when she did blue peter , and that pretty much dates me :(

• RMweb Premium

Top work mate...you've definitely got more patience than me! I think weathering without an airbrush is the way forward, as I definitely don't have time to and can't be bothered to get it out.

And as for the car... :sungum:

Thanks,

Jack.

Thanks Jack! I'm terrible with the airbrush so anything where you don't need one is good...the only thing I ever use it for is roof grime/track spray on locos, and even then I save up 2 or 3 locos in one go to save the hassle of repeatedly cleaning it all out!!

HAAs look great, not so sure about Sophie Ellis bextor - I'm sure I used to fancy her mum when she did blue peter , and that pretty much dates me :(

Aw, Sophie's great! She's nearly 40 now too, she gets better with age haha! Going to see her on tour in a couple of weeks down Bournemouth way, secretly rather excited!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...