The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Phrases that should be banned

AndyB

I've been muttering to myself in the background since this thread started and can contain myself no longer, Matron. My particular pet peeves (apart from poor attempts at alliteration) are, in no particular order:

"Welcome along", generally gushed by TV and radio 'talent'. Why is the preposition needed?;

"Win yourself" a prize, or similar, too often trilled by TV and radio comperes. Why the reflexive form?; and,

"Look" used as an introductory ###### when answering a taxing question. It seems to have started in the Antipodes a few short years ago and been particularly favoured by Australian cricketers when trying to explain why performances had failed to meet expectations; Ponting was a prolific repeat offender. But now it has been carried, like an embarrassing disease, to our shores and spread from the bars of Earl's Court to infect all those who bluster professionally: Philip Hammond (Transport Secretary) and Ed Balls (Shadow Chancellor) have been cruelly struck down. I see it as the sharp, verbal equivalent of a pointing, wagging finger, but the affliction has mutated and can also manifest itself as a patronising intonation. Either way, it's just rude and, dare I say, unBritish.

The above irritate, but my most mordant imprecations are visited upon the phrase "train station". I don't really know why - it could be because it smacks of mid-Atlanticism (a freshly minted phrase for you) and is redolent of reversed baseball caps, lager, i-gadgets, T20 cricket (and its bastard spawn, IPL), Twitter, non-barometric weather charts, the micrometre replacing the micron - well, you get the picture. Nurse!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The above irritate, but my most mordant imprecations are visited upon the phrase "train station".

It is going from bad to appalling in that respect as the other evening on the BBC tv news I heard the expression 'new train line' used in reference to Govt intentions to build new railway routes. I wonder if that moronic ticket agency advert is to blame for this further decline?

• Like 2

Don't blame "train station" on the Americans! There's enough crap over here without foisting that one!

In fact I'd go so far to say that blaming bad English on Americans, in general, is a way of washing the collective English hands of perceived bad English originating within the sceptered isle.

Cheers, Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Don't blame "train station" on the Americans! There's enough crap over here without foisting that one!

In fact I'd go so far to say that blaming bad English on Americans, in general, is a way of washing the collective English hands of perceived bad English originating within the sceptered isle.

Cheers, Pete.

And a failure to appreciate that English is constantly evolving whether we like it or not. That's why it is one of the most vibrant world languages.

It has constantly imported and assimilated words and phrases from other tongues and popular usage.

If it didn't evolve it would be as dead as Latin is as an everyday modern language.

Keith

• Like 2

Y'know, there's no point in complaining about "in" words and phrases you don't like. Sooner or later most of them will disappear - as is the way of all fashion - most probably to be replaced by something else that irritates just as much. Those that are genuinely useful will survive; that's the way language develops. On the other hand, those who dress or speak fashionably are asking for it...

I know its irritating, buts whats wrong with train station, after all, you catch a bus at a bus station, and the tube at a tube station.

The way I've heard it quoted is this:

FIREmen work at a FIRE station

POLICEmen work at a POLICE station

BUS crews work at/from a BUS station

RAILWAYmen work at/from a RAILWAY station

besides.....Its proper Inglish like wot I was brung up wiv to say RAILWAY station....

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

As interesting as this thread is we have been through this bit about Train station many times and see little point in going through it all once more. So if someone would like to move the thread away from there it would be much appreciated.

I know its irritating, buts whats wrong with train station, after all, you catch a bus at a bus station, and the tube at a tube station.

You catch a cold at the doctor's surgery... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

.......and sometimes, if you are very lucky, you can catch a doctor.

A phrase that irritates me, for no reason that I can put my finger on, is someone claiming that they are 'growing' their business/finances etc.

Yes, I know businesses do grow but someone growing one just doesn't sit well with me.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Gold

"Managing change" = current localgovspeak for thinking of, implementing, coping with or suffering from CUTS. Roll on retirement!

Just you wait 'til you get 'change management' (which is a slightly more mature version but the first time I heard it I thought it was something to do with the stuff in one of my jacket pockets).