Flashing tail lights on trains

Daddyman

If you are a fine scale modeller you can model the various early types of BETL. There were many kinds before the type in use today.

At one time oil tail lamps went to main works for repair. At Ashford there was a Grampus full in the West Yard, I think for Crewe. Then suddenly they were all gone.

Likewise the Lamp Rooms and their ubiquitous drum of paraffin.

The good old days.

Probably safer without the drum of parafin. As a lad in the 50s Dad would often take me and my big brother around the London stations. We would nearly always go through Charring Cross. On P1 was a trolley covered with lamps. Turnrounds were so quick sometimes there was hardly time to swap ends with the lamp so a freshly trimmed lamp would be taken from the trolley. Oil lamps were used on EMUs even EPB stock untill late 60s when the use of red blinds was allowed on EP stock. The trolley was soaked in parafin and there was a can for topping up the lamps. Together with a dozen or so lit lamps this was quite a fire hazzard

• 4 weeks later...

As to the end of oil tail lamps, Darrel is on the money - IIRC January 1991 saw an instruction in the BR Weekly Operating Notice as to their use ceasing - certainly mid to late 80s saw increased use of battery electric devices. I clearly remember my first full year on BR - 1985 - there were trials on the daily Stoke Gifford - Bridgwater trip - where different types of battery electric tail lamps appeared - including some with a retro reflective circular area atop a yellow box )like roadwork lamps. The train crucially had dangerous goods on the back - caustic soda.

Certainly block oil trains had battery lamps - early to mid 80s. I recollect seeing a Severnside Haverton Hill chemical train (bogie tanks) had oil tail lamps in 1985 but need stress they were on the brake van at the back.

Paul

ISTR the flashing element came about as a result of a rear-end collision between a failed train and an assisting train (not loco). The driver losing sight of the static tail lamp aspect in the loom of a red signal aspect on an adjacent line?

I've read the accident report in Red for Danger or Danger Signals.

ISTR it happened on the WR and involved a Class 50 ??

• RMweb Premium

It’s a shame that the UK has not followed the acronym of the USA (or have they , in certain locations)?  FREDs = Flashing Rear End Devices.

Best, Pete.

If I went round with a Flashing Rear End Device I'd probably get locked up........................

Coat,

getting.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived