Wigan Model Railway Exhibition

Andy Y

just a quick thanks for everyone involved in making the show happen, really enjoyed my day,and it was a nice touch the kids getting a present,made my sons day when he could pick which book he could have! thanks again

The children's gift idea was courtesy of David Allen from Booklaw Publications whom we are very pleased to credit as one of our sponsors. He is an all round good guy and I am pleased he made your sons day.

An excellent exhibition. I visited on Sunday afternoon when it was pleasantly busy and stayed as it wound down. Perhaps one of the attractions is that it is not too large and not too overcrowded. Also, quality, quality, quality. To me there was a knockout exhibit that i had either not seen or not appreciated and that was Burntisland. I watched in awe as a wagon was pulled by windlass on to a wagon turntable, moved by magnets across another and on to a coal hoist, lifted, tipped into a ship and returned. Then i moved on to the RO-RO ferry being loaded.

In the other hall, the simplicity of Langholm and the effectiveness of different coloured grass on a raised embankment through field.

Great show and only 6 months to wait.

I went to Wigan instead of Warley and was pleasantly surprised. Loads of space, excellent layouts and plenty of trade stalls.

I managed not to spend too much. Coming home on Sunday afternoon was an experience, long sections of the M6 and M5 pretending to be rivers.

We spent quite a while listening to diesels on the large 00 layout, seeing (or should that be hearing) how close they sounded to the real thing, something I'd not previously had the chance to do.

Many classes were very good, 20, 24, 25, 26, 37, 40 all sounded really good, clearly recognisable with eyes closed.

The 56 was far from convincing though and the deltic sounded absolutely nothing like a real one - no humm at all.

Only 6 months to the next one, I'll probably go even though it's quite a trek up from Bristol.

Just had a heavy hailstorm here in Bristol, and temperatures are well down...

Time to get the gloves out I think.

• RMweb Premium

Hi D6975

If you like Wigan you will like Stafford its the first weekend in February see www.staffordrailwaycircle.org.uk / Exhibitions

You will need your gloves for your journey but promise you a warm welcome to our exhibition.

ELTEL

i was impressed with the amount of pre grouping era layouts, its not the era i model but it just seemed refreshing and they usually tend to be very high quality

it almost felt like the exhibitions i used to go to as a child

Probably because the pre-group layouts have to be produced from kits and/or scratch, so the buillders aren't constrained by what comes straight out of the box. Modelling early eras usually means more research than just looking in the RTR catalogues, so they tend towards a consistent modelling "accuracy".

The exhibitions we attended as children were probably far fewer (as somebody pointed out to me at Wigan on Saturday) and also more likely to have layouts built by a generation of model makers as opposed to "modellers". The alternative would have been (in my case) a collection of Hornby Dublo or O, Triang or Trix trainsets on display.

Although I put up one taken from a slightly different angle I did take 'that shot'. I just preferred the other angle.

post-7104-0-26585200-1323807049.jpg

Although I put up one taken from a slightly different angle I did take 'that shot'. I just preferred the other angle.

post-7104-0-26585200-1323807049.jpg

'Genius Loci', the spirt of the place (see Post 173) we all know it when we see it.

Probably because the pre-group layouts have to be produced from kits and/or scratch, so the buillders aren't constrained by what comes straight out of the box. Modelling early eras usually means more research than just looking in the RTR catalogues, so they tend towards a consistent modelling "accuracy".

I seem to remember far more grouping layouts, LNER in particualr at Yorkshire exhibtions, when I was a child - late eighties, same as Mike.

Your comparision of 'modellers' vs 'model makers' is an interesting point too.

Each year at the Exhibition we have a competition to identify the 'Best Layout' as voted by the exhibitors. This year the prize was awarded to 'Crumley and Little Wickhill', whose appearance at Wigan has been egarly awaited. It is one of those special layouts that are talked about because of the uniqueness of the original concept. Here is 'thinking oursde the box'. Most of us are accustomed to viewing layouts across the running lines, watching traffic pass in front of us, left to right. Not so on 'Crumley and Little Wickhill', here the traffic comes towards you and then disappears away from you.

What we are presented with is a slice of the high moor through which runs a valley. The narrow gauge railway does not occupy the valley floor but runs part way up both the valley sides. The valley sides are so steep that on a conventional layout one of the running lines would have been almost invisible, hidden as it would be by the steep slope. This problem is solved by turning the layout through 90 degrees so the viewer looks either up or down the valley.

Like Pempoul the locality is beautifully captured, although beautiful is not the right word. Only the most intrepid would describe the moors as such. It is the bleakness, the bleached nature of the vegitation that gives it that Wuthering Heights quality. However again like Pempoul the minutia has been painstakingly observed, the valley floor with its patternwork of stone walling and spartan buildings is wonderfully modelled.

The littleness of the locomotives pulling their trains upon the narrow gauge trackwork are dwarfed by the vastness of the moors. This overbearing atmoshere is further emphasised by the presentation where the whole layout seems to be enclosed in a black box with only two viewing slots for viewers to gaze through.

What a clever idea!

• RMweb Premium

The exhibitions we attended as children were probably far fewer (as somebody pointed out to me at Wigan on Saturday) and also more likely to have layouts built by a generation of model makers as opposed to "modellers". The alternative would have been (in my case) a collection of Hornby Dublo or O, Triang or Trix trainsets on display.

Well said that man! I couldn't agree more.

As a confirmed pregrouping enthusiast I really enjoyed seeing a good selection of layouts from that period.

I had seen them all before but they were all worth another look.

There will be at least one pre grouping layout there next year, with 100% scratchbuilt locos and stock by a proper model maker as we will be exhibiting the Rev. Peter Denny's Leighton Buzzard.

One of the aspects of Pempoul that is sometimes overlooked because of the stunning scenic work is that the locos and stock are also to a superb standard and as far as I know all scratchbuilt.

Tony

Guess what its snowing in Wigan. Thank goodness we are not setting up the exhibition today. That is three years running that we have just missed the winter white out. The move to June is looking to be the right decision.

We've just had a request from a gentleman who could not make it to the show to post him a guidebook. He lives in Thailand, as Peter Kay would say 'what's that all about'. Obviously the Guidebook was a lot more popular than we thought.... but in Thailand.

Foston Mills

I had my first glimpse of this O Gauge terminus to fiddle yard layout built by members of Keighly MRC on Friday afternoon, whilst it was being erected. Upon which my passing impressions were along the lines of “another O Gauge plank”.

As Peter has mentioned in earlier posts, you need to look at good railway modelling for a while and study it so as to get a more applicable impression, and Foston Mills proved just such. Over the weekend I spent some time in front of this model of Foston-on-the-Wolds and found upon each visit more and more to entertain and impress me. What Dave Rees and his colleges have done here is not new, but a credible and sometimes more enthralling method of layout design; than merely making something up or copying the prototype. They chose to look at the nations railway map for ‘holes’, to find lines that were never built but are plausible none the less. This was the scenario of Foston Mills. However their researches soon uncovered an actual proposal similar to their own made by the N.E.R. in 1902, The Holderness Light Railway. They have accordingly conspired via researches, maps and site visits to design a very convincing model of an un-built railway amidst an actual location. Many of the buildings are of those previous or still standing and all are orientated correctly as per the plans displayed in front of the fiddle yard.

What the model subtly reveals to the viewer is that it is very difficult to fake reality, I.E. the odd manner in which locations develop and see alteration and rebuilding overtime. Foston Mills exudes such qualities, something that takes a considerable amount of patience research and skill to achieve. The model includes a series of cameos surrounding the activities of local industry and the railway, to augment the entertainment value that the model itself presents; alongside the regular disturbances of the railway traffic. Many of the buildings are illuminated and accordingly contain interior detail. I spent ten minutes staring at Foston Beck admiring the depth of the water they have modelled, when it was pointed out to me that there were three large trout swimming amidst the reeds, I can’t say I’ve ever seen actual fish modelled in the water before, perhaps you have?

The layout is presented at a height whereby the viewer is almost at vehicle solebar height, the ideal, and although a source of some consternation, I prefer to see proper modelling displayed at a serious height.

I have deliberately not mentioned the frequently appearing trains here, as the N.E.R. is to date foreign to me I’m afraid, and I find it best to ‘say nought about that which you know little!’

Regardless the modelling alone makes this layout stand out, and considering some of the competition for my attentions over the weekend, kept me enthralled whenever free to look around.

Mark Henshaw

COMM-RAIL (ex-manager)

Many thanks to posters 'Long Line' and 'Dicky W'.

Following on from Mark's review I now realise that I completely missed 'Foston Mills' at the exhibition. It is one of the drawbacks of being part of the organising team and operating on a layout over the weekend in that you hardly see any of the exhibition. I also missed all the little gems pointed out by Crantock (post 180) on 'Burntisland', so thanks to you two gentlemen that is two layouts I need to look out for on the exhibition curcuit. I wonder if 'Burntisland' is at Glasgow in the new year.

Thank you also to Richard for the video, doesn't 'Crumley and Little Wickhill' look the part.

Archived