Wigan Model Railway Exhibition

Andy Y

And your point is Dave? - that it'll be a cosy warm review or what? I'd read Eaton's post before, yes.

Usually it's products or events (as a whole) that get reviewed. Even the magazines don't (AFAIK) review layouts.

That's why I'm interested in what to expect, and what could be gained.

Put simply, I'm intrigued at the idea - it's expected benefits, who it's target audience / beneficiary is, when, and what they'd get from it?

Hopefully in my case I'll be getting the opportunity to bring back to the forum a better overview of a specific layout than otherwise might be possible. I've contacted a member of the team to seek the opportunity to get a few snaps without getting in the way of the paying punter which should mean I can get to show the layout in a positive light, bring something back that'll be of interest to those who may not have had the chance to visit the show and recognise the contribution to the event from a specific exhibitor.

• RMweb Gold

Having judged several competitions, including in categories for which I have no interest, I'm quite happy that I'm not Partisan and that's not the purpose - it's to comment on positives, for example nobody has asked me to review the signalling or operation on every layout at the show, that would be a different matter and would probably upset some, which is not the aim.

Whether anything will be gained will probably only be learnt after the event, but like Andy (who's posted whilst I type) I hope I can get a good commentary on a specific layout, and I intend to get permission before doing so.

In reply to Jamie's posting of 5th December.

What prompted me to suggest this initiative to Andy in the first place was that I felt that a number of Exhibition postings had become very general and in some cases featured the trade, the hall lighting, backpacks, public catering and car parks and layouts seemed to be very much neglected. If they did get a mention, then again it was in very general terms, often no more than a list of the good layouts at the show. What I wanted to know was what made them good.

What we have instigated here is a review system that should tell you just that. We have asked experienced exhibition goers to share with other Rmwebbers their insights into why they have chosen to comment on a particular layout that they find intersting. I would therefore assume that these reviews would show the layout in a very postitive light and I for one, given that my layout will be in the exhibition, will be delighted if a reviewer finds it sufficently interesting to comment.

As to what is to be gained, well in the short term, if reviews are posted early then they may be of benefit to the Sunday visitor, but more importantly it should be of more interest to the people who did not attend, the very people we wish to see in June 2012. We need to enhance and emphasise our reputation for bringing interesting and quality exhibits to Wigan, and I see this as a means of doing just that. It should also invigorate the Wigan Exhibition Thread which again can only be a good thing for both us and the Rmweb.

However I do accept that what we are asking reviewers to bring to the table their subjective observations and that is why we have asked people with considerable experience of doing just that to contribute. For some reviewers it will be similar judgements that they make all the time as they look for layouts to fill their own exhibitions, for others it will be judgements based upon their experience of building and exhibiting their own layouts.

Mark Henshaw, of 'The Long Line', a man with many exhibition attendances under his belt, is our latest reviewer.

...... for example nobody has asked me to review the signalling or operation on every layout at the show,......

TIC - You would at our layout when Tudor's taken over control - mayhem on the operating front and signals forgotten about, we try to keep him at bay, but we have to have a break sometime.

Eaton, I personally welcome this initiative, not because I think my layout will get good reviews (but it does and features in exhibition reviews already), but to enable me see what other layouts were there and other peoples views, all the layouts not just the top three.....

Plus it would be about the same Format for each show.

As well as the positives (though please don't use a term like "It's a pretty Layout"),

constructive criticism is always welcome, even by PM should it be that serious.......

Hello all,

we the happy bunch will be setting off from BiF at 07;30 and will arrive at Wigan around about 09;20 so it will be up to Weatherspoons for breakfast and a pint, then the walk to the show.

I wish all goes well with the show, and I hope to meet up with some of yous in the old "Sportsman's bar" between 12;00 &13;00.

OzzyO.

TIC - Do we get travelling Expenses (and if required overnight accommodation?)... :no:

Penlan - West Cornwall, Near Lands End, almost as far away as you can get from ..........

Sorry Sandy, much as we would value your opinion I couldn't get that passed by our budget conscious Exhibition Manager. However when you bring 'Penlan' who knows!!

I can now report that the road works outside the Wigan Railway Stations have now finished, and that the buses will be running as normal from their usual stands outside the Wigan North Western Station.

As our Exhibition Manager has been in the area today and reported back that all is now back to normal!!!

A quick question if I may on the walking route from Wigan stations to the show. I have walked the route many times and cut across the Asda car park then across Robin Park outlet car park, but I wondered if there is a shortcut that takes you along the river and round the back of Asda to bring you out onto Loire Drive? If not I will go the usual way to get there to set up the DEMU stand on Saturday morning!

Cheers Paul

A quick question if I may on the walking route from Wigan stations to the show. I have walked the route many times and cut across the Asda car park then across Robin Park outlet car park, but I wondered if there is a shortcut that takes you along the river and round the back of Asda to bring you out onto Loire Drive? If not I will go the usual way to get there to set up the DEMU stand on Saturday morning!

Cheers Paul

in answer to your question - Yes there is a shortcut, if you go over the bridge on the river the path runs down the right hand side of the ASDA carpark, and comes out near the All-weather football pitches/running track which is quicker than walking all the way round ASDA.

hope that helps!! :scratchhead:

Just as a matter of small interest what does the weather forecast say now!!

Its certainly damp.

The one I looked at said a few rain showers on both days.

Looks like you've missed the worse of the weather for this weekend.

Hello all,

is it the 628 bus from North Western station?

I'll be in the old Sportsman's bar between about 12;00; & 13;00 I'll have a light blue striped shirt on, as for looks just look for someone that looks like Yosemite Sam. Come and say hello.

OzzyO

in answer to your question - Yes there is a shortcut, if you go over the bridge on the river the path runs down the right hand side of the ASDA carpark, and comes out near the All-weather football pitches/running track which is quicker than walking all the way round ASDA.

hope that helps!! :scratchhead:

Ok cheers Sam, I might give it a try if it isn't to muddy underfoot!

Paul

Hello all,

is it the 628 bus from North Western station?

I'll be in the old Sportsman's bar between about 12;00; & 13;00 I'll have a light blue striped shirt on, as for looks just look for someone that looks like Yosemite Sam. Come and say hello.

OzzyO

Yes the 628 is one - here is a link to the TfGM online timetable http://www.tfgm.com/upload/routemaps/621_628_28628.pdf or there is the hourly 639 that passes nearer to Robin Park http://www.tfgm.com/upload/routemaps/638_639_Web_only_1011.pdf - 638 is the return service.

HTH Paul

Your'e welcome Peter, and looking forwards to what you put me in front of?... am aiming to put a fair few ales under that belt as well this weekend!

Packed and ready for the off... after busy week!, quick kip, then 1 bus, 2 trains, 1 lift, and a quick breakfast should see me available for humping and shifting..

Demonstrating this weekend alongside me old mate Keith Ware...lots of little things to see... so pay us a visit..

If anyone is wondering whether or not to bother attending this weekend, let me assure you you'll be missing out if you don't, Wigan's a must do in the North West's modelling calender..

see you shortly,

Mark

Demonstrating this weekend alongside me old mate Keith Ware...lots of little things to see... so pay us a visit..

If anyone is wondering whether or not to bother attending this weekend, let me assure you you'll be missing out if you don't, Wigan's a must do in the North West's modelling calender..

Wholeheartedly agree with you there. With apologies to Andy C but Wigan for me is now the premier show in the North West. I foolhardily volunteered to man the Scale7 stand this show so please stop and say hello if you can.

• RMweb Premium

Well it must be nearly Christmas, as the year draws to a end as I pack the Stafford Railway Exhibition Publicity stand for its annual trip to Wigan

I do not think I have missed a Wigan exhibition for well over 20+ years and I have never been disappointed with this premier exhibition.

Come and have a chat with us at the Stafford stand we don't bite!

Good wishes to Steve & Peter and all concerned at Wigan club from all at Stafford Railway Circle

See you bright and early on Saturday morning

Terry Robinson on behalf of all at SRC

Archived